21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,504 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I love my 2018 Crosstrek with the exception of the seats. Im wondering if there are others who experience this also. My right leg actually hurts after driving any distance. I just cant seem to get comfortable. Im normal height and weight, so I really cant pinpoint the issue other than when I get out of the drivers seat my leg feels stiff and painful. It only happens when Im in the car so its not an injury etc.
Im honestly considering trading my car because I can't envision myself driving it for the next several years. I have found myself recently dreading having to drive anywhere.
Any similar experiences?
I experienced it with my 2016 Forester base model with the crappy seats/interior. We now have a 2018 Crosstrek Limited with leather and they are super comfortable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love my 2018 Crosstrek with the exception of the seats. Im wondering if there are others who experience this also. My right leg actually hurts after driving any distance. I just cant seem to get comfortable. Im normal height and weight, so I really cant pinpoint the issue other than when I get out of the drivers seat my leg feels stiff and painful. It only happens when Im in the car so its not an injury etc.
Im honestly considering trading my car because I can't envision myself driving it for the next several years. I have found myself recently dreading having to drive anywhere.
Any similar experiences?
You might go to the doctor. It sounds like you have sciatic nerve damage

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2014 XV Crosstrek and after adjusting the seat to the highest position its working fine after 5 years. I drive a lot to Cape Cod which can run 4 hours to 8 hours and feels great. I do have a right hip problem so I purchased a 3 inch thick cushion which it makes driving even better. Love the Crosstrek and it is the best car I ever purchased..Play with the adjustments and if needed buy a cushion...if that is all that is wrong with the car that's minor...good luck..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own a 2019 Crosstrek Limited, and I bought the Limited edition because of the power seats since I have various issues that cause me pain when I'm not sitting in a comfortable position, and also since I am shorter than "average". In reading these posts I wish people stated what model they drive since it seems that there may be a difference between the power and manually adjusted driver seats. When I first drove my car I had a hard time getting the right foot comfortable on the accelerator pedal, but since driving it a few months I seem to have adjusted to it. I love the fact that I can raise the seat really high and see over the hood as well as my 5' 11" husband! I often change the seat adjustments several times while driving - maybe I'm just getting obsessive and enjoying the fact that I can adjust it so many ways, but I haven't experienced any pain related to these seats!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any similar experiences?
2018 Premium here. I’m 6’1”, skinny, old, with back and pelvis injuries. I find the cloth seats to be quite comfortable. They are on the hard side, but I sleep on a fairly hard mattress. The key is to use all those adjustments. Experiment. On long trips, if you start to feel uncomfortable readjust something - your body isn’t designed to sit in one position for hours, so change things up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am curious as to those that find the seats comfortable if you have the cloth or pleather seats.
Cloth.
My daily commute is 100 miles round trip, also live 7 miles from the nearest store so I spend a lot of time in my xtrek and find it very comfortable however I did have to make adjustments to seat height and steering wheel.

·
Registered
2014 XV Crosstrek Hybrid Touring
60 Posts
Any similar experiences?
I drive a 2014 XV Crosstrek Hybrid Touring with Leather seats with just over 30,000 miles. The position that I have the seat set at both up and down is comfortable. But the seat, not back, is the hardest seat I have ever sat on and after just 1 hour of driving into the mountains of Colorado, my rear end is starting to hurt.

I guess a seat cushion could be an answer, but feel that a $30,000 vehicle positioned at the top of the line in 2014 should have softer seats. Or maybe after the mileage that I have driven it is not broken in??

I have driven American large and small cars and foreign small cars including Datsun 240 & 260Z's, none had this hard a seat.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Any similar experiences?
Agreeing with artosa that taking measures to keep your body in proper alignment can go a long way. Chiropractic, yoga/stretching, and being conscientious about your posture can be game changers. I was hit by a truck that ran a stop sign while on my bicycle (wish that was hyperbole). I attribute my chiropractor and doing just a little, VERY basic yoga and posture exercises to being able to return to relatively normal life as little as a month later. Unrelated, my mother (a medical professional) was able to lower her blood pressure and avoid being put on blood pressure medication by using chiropractic and yoga. Too many today hear "holistic medicine" and think that it is hippy dippy BS when it could really change your life.

That being said it is totally possible that the seat and driving position is just not a good fit for you. At the end of the day this is one of the smallest cars Subaru offers and it is not loaded with extra room.
I agree seats not comfortable. I am short with short legs, seat seems to be raised up hitting me just above the knee. I wish you could tilt the seat portion downwards, we don’t have the electronic seats on the Premium. My husband said it hurts him as well and can’t dtive long distances, we have to trade off. He used a pillow and that helped a little so I suspect the seats are for longer legged people. Passenger side not as bad though for some reason, maybe because you are not pushing your leg down to drive. Pretty bad it stops us from traveling much. We’ve had it for a year and no difference. Do the electronic seats have adjustments to slant the seat part? We are thinking of replacing the front seat - that’s how bad it is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hmmm 2019 Limited w/Leather seats.

I rarely drive my CT in summer but do once a week or less to keep everything lubed etc. Nov-April I put about 2K/month on it including some 6 hour or longer Trips.

Anyway this post thread kinda gave me a chuckle cause just yesterday I pulled it out of the garage for the first time in 2 weeks and ran some errands in it and I remember thinking Wow, these seats are more comfortable than I remembered!

For reference I typically drive my Jeep Commander Overland in summer and it’s also pretty comfy. Also have an older Outback and Wife has an Assent Touring, can’t say any of them are less than comfortable, all have leather seats.

I’ve found, particularly on longer trips in any vehicle I have to adjust the seat now and then, or shift the way I’m sitting. Most modern cars with power seats have a variety of adjustments that between them and the adjustable steering wheel allow for better customization of how you sit. Some like my Commander even have adjustable pedals.

I tend to be quite active, on my feet moving all day long. I try to avoid sitting as much as I can even using a stand up desk. So when I take a road trip I might adjust the seats-steering wheel multiple times and that seems to keep any stiffness at bay.

I suppose some cars for some people may be more, or less comfortable than for others although I do think that within classes of cars there will not really be much practical difference there still is personal preference. Often you don’t know until you spend a significant amount of time sitting in one

I guess to each their own.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You might go to the doctor. It sounds like you have sciatic nerve damage
Any similar experiences?
I have a ‘14 Crosstrek with the leather seats and agree that they are not comfortable. I bought my car new and was going on a road trip from California to Virginia (3000+ miles) but experienced excruciating right leg pain after driving only 90 miles. Tried every seat and steering wheel adjustment possible with no improvement. Ended up purchasing a seat riser/wedge and have not had a problem since. Love my car and don’t mind having to use the riser/wedge. Of interest, my son is comfortable driving without the riser/wedge. Recommend you give a seat riser/wedge a try if you really love your Crosstrek.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Any similar experiences?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I test drove a number of Crosstrek models and years before I bought my 2016 premium (cloth) a few weeks ago. The 2018 I tried had a seat that seemed okay, if somewhat firm (like my former Toyota), but the seat belt had an extra protruding bar near the buckle that pressed into my hip, and my hips are not especially big. When I tried the 2016, there was not an extra protrusion on the belt buckle, and it felt much better. I had a more "open" feeling in the front seat.
That said, I tend to feel like I slip around more in my 2016, and I sometimes wish there was more back support, though I can't quite put my finger on where or why.
I saw my back doctor today because of low backache, thinking it was from some furniture moving I had done recently. He said the trouble spot was actually where the body rotates above the hip. He suggested that it might have to do with the way I'm getting in and out of the new car. He said to sit first facing out the door, then rotate the legs to face forward. I'm going to work that into my routine and see how it goes.

·
He wasn't there!
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,553 Posts
The first trip I took in 2016, after several days the underside of my thighs started to hurt and cramp up, and the last couple of days of the trip were pretty uncomfortable. But a year later when I took my second trip I didn't experience that problem. I don't know if it was finding the right adjustment for the seat, or the seat just getting somewhat broken in to my shape. But now I'm comfortable going all day for a couple weeks at a time on a road trip.

So play with the seat adjustments, and give it a little time. But I will say that back when I was selling cars one of the common reasons someone would trade in a good new car was that the driver's seat just did not fit them. Sad but true that no seat, no matter how good the car, fits every person's body. And there's nothing that ruins the experience of a good car than a seat you can't get comfortable in.

Reactions: mtesla

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have just returned from a 4500km round trip in my wifes XV. I drove the forward leg solo as she flew ahead. I am a big bloke 6' 3" 230lbs , I found it quite comfortable both as a driver and passenger. Not a lounge chair but hen its only a consumer grade car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I find the seats in my '16 very uncomfortable for any ride over 20 mins. I ended up buying an Airhawk cushion which has helped immensely.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For me they've become more comfortable over time. I have a '15 with cloth, no power seats, and my first 8 straight hour trip a few years back I found them to be quite uncomfortable. I did a trip this year where I drove for around 10 hours straight and they didn't bother me at all. So maybe they soften up over time? Or I've acclimated.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I have the XV 20.i-S in Australia with heated leather, electronically adjusted seats. We did try the lower spec models and the difference in seat comfort was noticeable so we went with the S and haven't looked back. I use my car for both work and leisure and it's the most comfortable ride I've had. My husband has back issues and prefers to adjust the seat lower and less upright than I do so the electronic controls make this quick and easy. He's been very happy to date.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru XV Premium SE
47 Posts
I find the seats in my 18 premium se (leather, electric) to be fine, especially compared to the horrors in my last 18 BMW m car which were awful for me...

Then again I'm a 5'10" long armed,short leg Italianate type not a 6'3" Germanic shape do maybe Japanese and Italian seats just suit me better!

21 - 40 of 72 Posts