Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my 2018 Crosstrek with the exception of the seats. Im wondering if there are others who experience this also. My right leg actually hurts after driving any distance. I just cant seem to get comfortable. Im normal height and weight, so I really cant pinpoint the issue other than when I get out of the drivers seat my leg feels stiff and painful. It only happens when Im in the car so its not an injury etc.
Im honestly considering trading my car because I can't envision myself driving it for the next several years. I have found myself recently dreading having to drive anywhere.
Any similar experiences?

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,914 Posts
I just completed a 3300 km road trip, and found this car to be the most comfortable of any I have even owned, incl some luxury cars. Wife said the same thing. You just have to find the right adjustments for your body, and it should be good. Personally, I prefer a higher adj level, while some prefer lower. Lower, I think, is not as good for your body on a longer trip.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My father has a 16’ outback and he has said it’s the most comfortable car he’s owned. He’s getting a bit older and has two fake knees now. That surgery fixed most of his discomfort but driving long distance is still a bit uncomfortable for him. He mentioned once that his knees hurt most when they were more bent for long times. He started raising the seat up higher and moving it back a little to allow his knees to extend more. That and sitting more upright reduced the discomfort for him most. Sounds like that’s in line with what other people suggest, too.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I also use ACC on trips, so that allows you to find a more comfortable position for your feet.

·
Premium Member
8,374 Posts
Seats are designed to conform to a certain 'average' body type - ie height, weight, build, physical condition, posture... If you happen to fit into that 'average' you will probably find the seats just fine. If you don't, I suspect that there will be issues until your body and seat conforms to each other OR one is forced to conform.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I agree in that my 19 cloth seats are the most uncomfortable seats I have ever had for a car. Been driving for 40 years. I just completed a 640 mile one way trip to Montreal and then back. My right leg also cramped. neck cramped. back ached and mu butt hurt. I had to constantly shift my position. The drive up we broke into two 5 hour legs. Very uncomfortable. We did a straight 13 hour (heavy traffic and weather) drive back. WOW was that the worst. the car ride and handling was great. the seats were horrid. I'm 6' 190lbs. My daughter is 5'4" 130 and she also complained.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Somehow I find the seat is not very comfortable, for long distance finally I chose a bit hunch position raher than straight like rally driver to be more bearable. If I lean to the back, most of the time either my shoulder or neck stiff within an hour.

·
Registered
160 Posts
This was actually pretty common in Jeep Wranglers, enough so that several companies made aftermarket "seat risers" to lift the seat up anywhere from 1/2" to 1.5". Seats were too low to the floor that the knees were elevated more than should be with pressure being placed further back on your rear end/spine than dispersed under your hip/leg evenly. My Jeep was almost un-drivable for me as the knee pain you experience was horrendous. I've had knee surgery in the past and odd angles create discomfort quick. After installing 1" risers, pain totally gone. I've only driven my wife's Crosstrek twice now but found yesterday after about 40 miles, the reminder of the knee pain came back in the car. I elevated the seats as much as I could to even pressure on back of legs and was able to eliminate the issue. The seats then felt actually really nice. Took a bit to adjust but thankfully there is enough built into the car I was able to get it to where it felt good and knee issues went away. Start out by moving closer to wheel and lifting up higher to get even pressure. Lean seat back a bit for head/arm clearance. I'm 5'10" and about 215 so not exactly "small" and was able to find a good position in the car that eliminated the knee strain and actually felt good. Hope that helps.

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Also, don't forget that you can pull out the steering wheel and adjust it up and down as well. I find it hard to believe with the range of adjustments, a comfortable position can't be found. And yes, higher and back further is better, at least for me.

I also compare my Crosstrek seats to my son's Tesla. I can't believe how bad they are for such an expensive car. First the leather is hard and not perforated, and makes for a sweaty butt in short order. And it is so low down that you feel like you are sitting just above the road. Luckily the dash (no dash actually) and front "hood" are very low too, so you can still see forward. Can't raise them much as your head would hit the roof. And getting in and out is a real exercise. Anyway, if you want to experience a really uncomfortable seat, try the Teslas.

My Kona is not bad, lots of adjustments, and does have ventilated seats (very nice). But they are a little on the hard side, and I prefer the softer Crosstrek seats. Like I said, they are the best I have ever had in any car that I have owned or driven.

·
Registered
341 Posts
EDIT: I have cloth seats

I don't find the Crosstrek seats to be terribly uncomfortable but they also are not great. My major gripe is the brutal lack of lumbar support. Not lumbar support adjustment, simply lumbar support. It feels like there is a black hole in the where the small of my back falls when seated. That being said, the lack of lumbar support means that adding an aftermarket one doesn't feel intrusive.

The Xtrek is the first car I have owned with a telescoping steering wheel and I find that to be a nice way to adjust seating position. I have found the key to comfort in the car is to vary your seating position every now and then. I don't believe there to be any one single position that is right while driving so keep yourself moving. Pull over to stretch you legs. Try telescoping the steering wheel all the way toward you, hopefully allowing you to stretch out your legs more.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I have the leather, and very comfortable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the "leather" seats. I have an extremely bad back with multiple herniated discs and torn ligaments (neurosurgeon says I need a fusion, which I'm avoiding for as long as is humanly possible). I'm often in pain and/or have a hard time walking.

I find the seats in my '18 limited as comfortable as any car I've ever owned.

What I do know from experience is that this will vary widely from person to person, based on body mechanics and where you may be injured or need supports, etc.. My spouse had a truck that caused me excruciating pain. I could never really figure it out or fix it. The way the seat was contoured hit me in the worst possible spot and there was no way to make it better. Yet he loved the seats, felt they were very comfortable.

This is definitely one of those "YMMV" things. I find it hard to fault the manufacturer when there are about a million variables which contribute to someone liking or not liking a particular seat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love my 2018 Crosstrek with the exception of the seats. Im wondering if there are others who experience this also. My right leg actually hurts after driving any distance. I just cant seem to get comfortable. Im normal height and weight, so I really cant pinpoint the issue other than when I get out of the drivers seat my leg feels stiff and painful. It only happens when Im in the car so its not an injury etc.
Im honestly considering trading my car because I can't envision myself driving it for the next several years. I have found myself recently dreading having to drive anywhere.
Any similar experiences?
The 2019 Crosstrek is my 11th new car since 2001. My job requires a new car every 2 years. I am in the 3rd month of my lease. There are a lot of things to love about the Crosstrek, but the rock hard seats are not one of them. Thankfully, the heated option helps with the pain. I am 6 ft 175 lbs and in better shape than most. Subaru seriously should investigate memory foam.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Most people have pelvic issues that cause problems from the head all the way down to the feet. John Barnes Myofascial Release is very effective for those open to it, there is also chiropractic and yoga that can help with alignment and pain.

My seats are cloth and I have done fifteen hours with no issues (late 60's 5'10"), my buddy was with me (a year older, 6'4") same trip, no issues, and he has knee pain. This is easily the nicest riding and most comfortable car I've owned.

artosa

·
Registered
341 Posts
Most people have pelvic issues that cause problems from the head all the way down to the feet. John Barnes Myofascial Release is very effective for those open to it, there is also chiropractic and yoga that can help with alignment and pain.

My seats are cloth and I have done fifteen hours with no issues (late 60's 5'10"), my buddy was with me (a year older, 6'4") same trip, no issues, and he has knee pain. This is easily the nicest riding and most comfortable car I've owned.

artosa
Agreeing with artosa that taking measures to keep your body in proper alignment can go a long way. Chiropractic, yoga/stretching, and being conscientious about your posture can be game changers. I was hit by a truck that ran a stop sign while on my bicycle (wish that was hyperbole). I attribute my chiropractor and doing just a little, VERY basic yoga and posture exercises to being able to return to relatively normal life as little as a month later. Unrelated, my mother (a medical professional) was able to lower her blood pressure and avoid being put on blood pressure medication by using chiropractic and yoga. Too many today hear "holistic medicine" and think that it is hippy dippy BS when it could really change your life.

That being said it is totally possible that the seat and driving position is just not a good fit for you. At the end of the day this is one of the smallest cars Subaru offers and it is not loaded with extra room.

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Limited
353 Posts
I have bad sciatica issues with my right side, and with all our other vehicles (all Toyota) my sciatica hurts. I sat in both fabric and leather seats in the crosstrek and adjusted the seats. I could tell immediately that the cloth seats were uncomfortable for me (the pump adjustment didn’t help). The leather was quite comfortable, and is the only vehicle of ours that actually helps with my sciatica. Perfect amount of lumbar support too. Shoot, even the back seats are very comfortable and supportive.

So there you go, proof right there that it’s all subjective. :D

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,501 Posts
Took me awhile to get comfortable in mine. First vehicle without power seats a many a moon. I found the sweet spot is when I sit up straight as I should anyway. Firm there but almost custom cush for my tush. BTW, someone posted the Jag video on proper seat adjustment a few months back. Some scoffed, but I played the video on my phone while going through the adjustments and it definitely helped.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts