Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had this happen to me today, 2013 crosstrek,cvt. to get the key out, started car put shifter in manual mode (which I don't use) and back into park, key came out. Possibility lack of manual mode use has made linkage or solenoid sticky, don't know for sure, first time it's happened to me in 6 years. Try it, it's free.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I started running into the same problem on my 2016 Crosstrek. I HAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION. So very thankful for this youtube video as this problem is minor but such a headache. It is really an easy fix, just follow his instructions. You only need a phillips head screwdriver and something that can pry.. I used a small hunting knife. The fix took me about 10-15 minutes and sounds like it saved multiple trips to the dealership.
Hello Ty, I am unable to watch your video. Telling me its unavailable. I am in Australia. Can you please give me directions as to what I should do. Thanks. Tabitha

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone have a part number on what was replaced and a link to the TSB?

I'm having the same issue on my 2013 Impreza Hatch Sport Premium. I'm way past my warrenty, but I'd like to be armed with as much info as I can before I talk to the dealership. Hoping they will cover it whenever they get around to the valve spring recall and the new brake light recall (which I think I already fixed myself by replacing the switch that is located at the upper linkage of the brake pedal lever).

·
Registered
14 Posts
A simple fix is to bypass the switch. The switch is a ground that activates the lock solenoid in the steering column. By adding a jumper between the two green wires it simulates a ground all the time. This will allow you to remove the key. The only drawback to this is it will allow you to remove the key while the vehicle is not in park.

Here is the part and part number and a location to obtain the part for the cheapest price that I've been able to find.

https://www.subarupartsdeal.com/parts/subaru-plate-guide-ay~35122fj033.html

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been experiencing this issue for a few months now (2016 Crosstrek, ~32k miles). I plan to bring my Crosstrek into my local dealer, but I bought my Crosstrek from a private party. Am I out of luck for Subaru paying for this? I'm not sure how a service bulletin compares to a recall.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been experiencing this issue for a few months now (2016 Crosstrek, ~32k miles). I plan to bring my Crosstrek into my local dealer, but I bought my Crosstrek from a private party. Am I out of luck for Subaru paying for this? I'm not sure how a service bulletin compares to a recall.
I do believe that corporate Subaru strives to be good. Local dealers vary.
Santa Cruz CA is good. Seaside, 25 miles away is is bad.

Print out and bring along the work order for our 2017 repair

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
This issue started for me about 2 weeks ago on a 2017 with approximately 23K miles. I could not get a service appointment until 7/20 and I hope my key does not get permanently stuck before then. Right now I have to jigger it numerous times to get the key out. This thread is a godsend since I can tell the service advisors exactly what I want done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem with my 15 Crosstrek. Took it to the dealer this week and they changed the "P" Range Switch. So far no problems. I will give an update in a few weeks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I complained about this issue at my last visit a couple weeks ago, all I got was the tech "could not duplicate" the issue. Since then the key has got stuck a half dozen times.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Howdy, I have a 2013 Crosstrek Limited and was having the same issue described here.

I don't mind defeating the safety lock. You still have to press the key in and turn to get it out, I'm not terribly worried about inadvertently taking it out on the freeway for instance.

On my model, I was able to easily remove the steering column cladding by rotating the steering wheel 180 degrees to either side and removing the Philips head screws (2). The two halves separate easily.

On the key chamber there's a white connection that can be easily disconnected. Here's a picture:

One caveat: After disabling and you want to disable / enable the locking chimes and try to perform the sequence where you insert the key 6 times, you'll need to re-enable this connection.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So I have a new Park Range Switch in hand. Could someone point me to a link for the actual replacement procedure for a 2015 Crosstreck CVT Limited. If not I am going in cold. I have seen the remove the center console trim videos. What I cant find is the switch replacement instructions. Perhaps it's just self evident once I get in there.Thanks GH

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks VitaminRad.

I followed a similar approach with my CVT 2013/2014 Forester.

I unscrewed the two phillips screws that join the top and bottom sections of the steering column cover (rotating the wheel as appropriate each way to gain access to screws).

Locating the two-wire connector adjacent to the 'lock' position setting of the ignition key cylinder, I confirmed by unplugging the connection that the ignition key would release.

At this point in time, I determined whether both wires associated with the plug had to be disconnected in order for the key to release, or whether only one wire had to be disconnected.

It turns out with the Forester, only the predominantly black wire (with thin white stripe) needed to be disengaged.

Based on this, I decided to introduce in to the circuit a 'normally closed push-button momentary switch', that when depressed essentially breaks the connection of the predominantly black wire - thus allowing the key to be removed.

Key release is not instantaneous, but rather takes approximately 5 to 10 seconds of holding the button in (presumably for the solenoid in the lock to discharge and release).

With above approach, I now only need to depress the button in the event the key cannot be removed. Ordinarily the circuit will be as Subaru intended.

decided to wire in a 'normally closed push-button momentary switch'

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I have a new Park Range Switch in hand. Could someone point me to a link for the actual replacement procedure for a 2015 Crosstreck CVT Limited. If not I am going in cold. I have seen the remove the center console trim videos. What I cant find is the switch replacement instructions. Perhaps it's just self evident once I get in there.Thanks GH
Hambone, I too am getting ready to change the Park Range switch on my 14' Forester. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Apologies for a late reply. Since acquiring the part,tooling, and manual procedure the problem has gone away. Perhaps just the threat of me tearing into the center console convinced the car to straighten up.The procedure looks involved. I have found toggling the shift lever switch rapidly solves the problem. If the attachment makes it through it might help. GH

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello

I have a 014 Forester with key stuck in the ignition.
Found this thread in your forum which is greatly informative.

I am going to try to clean the park range switch using WD40.
Today I have almost removed the shifter Bezel so over the weekend will continue disassembling the shifter until I find the switch.

I will try to post some pictures after.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts