Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay folks...for those of you who want to let everyone know where you are located...city...street...you decide how accurate...I have created a zeemap so you can show your location. Here is the link and the easy peasy instructions on how to put your location pin on the map. I created one of these for the Subaru Outback.org forum a number of years ago and it’s had great response over the years.

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=3106349[/B]

1) Go to the ZeeMaps - Subaru XV Crosstrek Owner Location link.
2) Click Additions > Add Marker.
3) Enter the info you want to enter for yourself. *I* used the "click on a map location" option to place the marker. You can also set the color of your marker if you want to. You can add a picture if you want to.
4) Click the "preview" button to make sure it looks the way you want.
5) When it's right, click Submit.

A little window will popup with a link in it. If you ever want to be able to go back and edit your "marker" on the map, save that link. (Or contact me via PM and I can try to help.)

That should get you on the map

Hey moderators...can we get a sticky on this thread please?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thread bump...hey moderators...can we sticky this thread?? Please?

Great to see people pinning their locations on the map

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Done!

I like that it doesn't make you create an account...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Done.....I also signed up....

@Scoobydoo2, Been to the Rock many times.....mostly along the south coast but last year to Fogo and Change Islands (no we didn't stay at the crazy Inn)...love the place. Planning a trip to Fancios, Grey River, etc. this October.

Thanks for the Zeemap.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Done.....I also signed up....

@Scoobydoo2, Been to the Rock many times.....mostly along the south coast but last year to Fogo and Change Islands (no we didn't stay at the crazy Inn)...love the place. Planning a trip to Fancios, Grey River, etc. this October.

Thanks for the Zeemap.
Yup...God’s country...came here almost 30 years ago for university...never left....and Fogo Island inn is a beautiful place to stay... but the cost to stay there is outrageous...

·
Registered
797 Posts
Added.

@Scoobydoo2 I more or less have plans for Gros Morne end of September. Not committed yet, but been working on it. Any car trails there that's not on the map to get some places off the beaten track?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Added.

@Scoobydoo2 I more or less have plans for Gros Morne end of September. Not committed yet, but been working on it. Any car trails there that's not on the map to get some places off the beaten track?
All of the driving that I have done in and around the park has been paved roads...that said, there may well be others that are off he beaten track that I know nothing about....woods roads etc. Newfoundland has oodles of these and they range from good to really rough...depending on where they are and how often they are used. Best way to find that out is when you get into some of the smaller communities within the park is to ask some of the locals...they have the best knowledge of the area.

All that said...there are amazing hiking trails there. Make sure you get to Western Brook Pond. It’s a great hike to the pond and an amazing boat tour when you get there. BonTours’ Western Brook Pond Boat Tour | BonTours | Gros Morne | Newfoundland and Labrador

·
Registered
797 Posts
All of the driving that I have done in and around the park have been paved roads...that said, there may well be others that are off he beaten track that I know nothing about....woods roads etc. Newfoundland has oodles of these and they range from good to really rough...depending on where they are and how often they are used. Best way to find that out is when you get into some of the smaller communities within the park is to ask some of the locals...they have the best knowledge of the area.

All that said...there are amazing hiking trails there. Make sure you get to Western Brook Pond. It’s a great hike to the pond and an amazing boat tour when you get there. BonTours’ Western Brook Pond Boat Tour | BonTours | Gros Morne | Newfoundland and Labrador

Thanks. Do you know which places are better to stay at around the park? As in I'm looking for not too expensive but clean and decent motel room, preferably with someplace to eat attached or nearby. Possibly in one of the town's north of the park, as I plan to do one day trip to the top of the peninsula.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. Do you know which places are better to stay at around the park? As in I'm looking for not too expensive but clean and decent motel room, preferably with someplace to eat attached or nearby. Possibly in one of the town's north of the park, as I plan to do one day trip to the top of the peninsula.
There are a lot of places with bed and breakfast’s...not too sure about the motel/hotels in that area. Part way up the coast in Plum Point there is a motel...nice, comfortable place...stayed there a couple of times. Has a decent restaurant. Woody point in Bonne Bay is a nice place... b&b’s are nice there.
You really need to do a little google-age just to really see...and check driving distances etc

Data Tools - Newfoundland & Labrador Statistics Agency Great distance calculator for driving around the province.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Ah, another one of those threads where I have to make a post to get to the next page before I can see anything there.

·
Registered
184 Posts
@Scoobydoo2...just about to book a room at Greene's Boarding Home in François. Imagine 3 nights in a town of 80....will be taking ferry rides to Grey River, Hermitage and Ramea...if it all works out. I don't mean to hijack this thread...but I've got the Newfy bug....Yes b'y!

·
Registered
797 Posts
@Scoobydoo2...just about to book a room at Greene's Boarding Home in François. Imagine 3 nights in a town of 80....will be taking ferry rides to Grey River, Hermitage and Ramea...if it all works out. I don't mean to hijack this thread...but I've got the Newfy bug....Yes b'y!

When you go there, how long does it take you and how do you schedule the ferry? Do you do the day or night trip? Do you stay a night on the way to the ferry?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
When you go there, how long does it take you and how do you schedule the ferry? Do you do the day or night trip? Do you stay a night on the way to the ferry?
When you look at the ferry schedule and info...found here...https://www.tw.gov.nl.ca/ferryservices/schedules/index.html you are going to see that some of the ferry routes...depending on where you want to go...are ferries that DO NOT take cars. Be aware of that...

·
Registered
797 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Added.

There is some yeah if you haven't made your way over there yet, i'm from central NL but i spend a great amount of time in the Gros Morne area, Cow head & st.pauls have provided some nice locations to drive in the back country & pitch a tent.

·
Registered
797 Posts
There is some yeah if you haven't made your way over there yet, i'm from central NL but i spend a great amount of time in the Gros Morne area, Cow head & st.pauls have provided some nice locations to drive in the back country & pitch a tent.

That trip was last year. Been there and back already.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Ah, figured so. Realized the date of the post after i replied. Oopsy

Would have been nice to know where I could have gotten offroad on that trip. Oh well. Too late now. While I enjoyed the trip, I don't see myself going back any time in the foreseeable future.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
7 Participants
Cutlass
Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums
At Subaru XV Forum you'll find fellow Subaru XV Enthusiasts to help perfect that Subaru Crosstrek Build, or share all kinds of information about this Subaru from its specs to its design.
Full Forum Listing