Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So did I but give me a few and I’ll post the information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

This is from the service write-up, I’ll post more when I get to my MacBook

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
4,405 Posts
I find this hard to believe. Dealers do firmware updates but I don't understand how a "software update" can upgrade a device from 3G to 4G.
Just speculating, but it actually wouldn't be too surprising if some of the cars were built with a 4G chipset that was firmware-limited to 3G for contractual or other financial reasons ...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just speculating, but it actually wouldn't be too surprising if some of the cars were built with a 4G chipset that was firmware-limited to 3G for contractual or other financial reasons ...
That’s what I believe. I read somewhere that it actually searched for both signals and they just killed off it searching for the 3G signal unless you need the actual replacement. I’ll post more when I get to my computer

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,121 Posts
You're right! I just called the service advisor we've used for years and he confirmed that it's a reprogramming but not nearly as easy as the HU firmware update. He said they can do the firmware update easily with a USB drive and it doesn't take long. The 3G to 4G takes all day and they have to use the Subaru diagnostic computer, then contact Subaru and have the car registered for using the service via 4G.

I had scheduled it for Tuesday so I'll post updates.

My guess, as @Montanan wrote, is that the 4G chipset was already there but disabled.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
When I took mine in they said 2 hours, I took it in at 0800 and the call around 1500. I'm still seeing the need for thew update on the App and MySubaru website. I called and they said they received the notification that it was done and everything looks ok. The did tell me if I wanted to get rid of the notification on the app to delete the app and reinstall. I'm going to leave the app alone and see how long or if it goes away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don’t believe you need the update though.
You don't -need- it...your car will continue to work fine. Just STARLINK won't work.

AT&T is shutting down their 3G network. This email means that your car is using the AT&T 3G network, and needs either a hardware or firmware upgrade to continue to receive service once the 3G network is shut down.

On the plus side STARLINK will work better for you since AT&T's LTE network has had better coverage than their 3G network for years now.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Sport, Sunshine Orange
140 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is there any enhancement in services after the update? I have a 2018 and a 2021 Crosstrek, the 2018 Starlink is quite primitive; I can pull up location, lock/unlock, and miles driven updates every 500 miles. On the 2021, I can see tire pressure, set speed alerts, remote start/stop, etc. I suspect the upgrade from 3G will NOT impact the limited 2018 services? Any experiences? - Jamie

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Is there any enhancement in services after the update? I have a 2018 and a 2021 Crosstrek, the 2018 Starlink is quite primitive; I can pull up location, lock/unlock, and miles driven updates every 500 miles. On the 2021, I can see tire pressure, set speed alerts, remote start/stop, etc. I suspect the upgrade from 3G will NOT impact the limited 2018 services? Any experiences? - Jamie
Nothing changed for me

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,121 Posts
I was hoping that, too. The '19 can do remote start, not the '18

Ours is going in today.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,121 Posts
That was the fastest drop off ever! Left at 7:50, checked in and Uber home, by 8:15!

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,121 Posts
That was the fastest drop off ever! Left at 7:50, checked in and Uber home, by 8:15!
Just picked it up. The service advisor said, "We've been telling people that they won't notice any changes but you probably will. Just call me."

Made my day! 😸

Reactions: Whatswong

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,121 Posts
Grrrr, the Starlink functions on the website still don't work... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Grrrr, the Starlink functions on the website still don't work... :rolleyes:
It must be something in your account, mine works fine using the web interface. But if the app works I really don’t understand why the web interface isn’t working for you. Have you tried deleting and reinstalling the app? I’m not a fan of doing that as I’ve read the app is finicky.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,121 Posts
Just tried the app and it told me that our Crosstrek needs a Starlink update and to schedule a service with our dealer... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Just tried the app and it told me that our Crosstrek needs a Starlink update and to schedule a service with our dealer... :rolleyes:
Mine still says that. I called Starlink CS and they said to delete the app, but I believe that to be wrong as the website also shows the same

·
Registered
21 MG Limited w/moonroof, 18 CGK Premium w/EyeSight & moonroof
24 Posts
Does the HU firmware get updated to the latest after the Starlink update?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts