Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else get this email? I did make an appointment for Thursday. Hopefully all goes well

We’re contacting you because your 2018 Crosstrek will require an update to continue utilizing your STARLINK Safety and Security services. Effective February 2022, the current wireless provider has elected to retire the 3G network that connects your services such as Automatic Collision Notification, SOS Emergency Assistance, and remote vehicle features*. If your vehicle is not updated before the 3G network retirement date, your STARLINK Safety and Security subscription will be cancelled.

Beginning March 10, 2021, your Subaru Retailer1 will offer a complimentary system update for vehicles like yours with an active STARLINK subscription2. This will ensure you can continue to access important STARLINK Safety and Security services. This service visit will take a minimum of two hours3 and it may be necessary to leave your vehicle for a longer period of time to complete the necessary update. Please contact your Subaru Retailer for additional details and to schedule your complimentary system update.”

Reactions: Whatswong

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,318 Posts
Anyone else get this email? I did make an appointment for Thursday. Hopefully all goes well

We’re contacting you because your 2018 Crosstrek will require an update to continue utilizing your STARLINK Safety and Security services. Effective February 2022, the current wireless provider has elected to retire the 3G network that connects your services such as Automatic Collision Notification, SOS Emergency Assistance, and remote vehicle features*. If your vehicle is not updated before the 3G network retirement date, your STARLINK Safety and Security subscription will be cancelled.

Beginning March 10, 2021, your Subaru Retailer1 will offer a complimentary system update for vehicles like yours with an active STARLINK subscription2. This will ensure you can continue to access important STARLINK Safety and Security services. This service visit will take a minimum of two hours3 and it may be necessary to leave your vehicle for a longer period of time to complete the necessary update. Please contact your Subaru Retailer for additional details and to schedule your complimentary system update.”
I got the same email today for my 2018 Forester.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 2021 and can download updates over Wi-Fi. Is this something different, or did the 2018's not have that capability?
Yea, it has to be done at the dealer. They said at least 2 hours. I had mine completed today b

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 2021 and can download updates over Wi-Fi. Is this something different, or did the 2018's not have that capability?
I don’t believe you need the update though.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Limted, Pure Red
8 Posts
I
I don’t believe you need the update though.
I understand this, but my question is, is this the system that gets updated via Wi-Fi on my car. In reading other threads here (one is linked below), it seems like only the cars with 7" and 8" screens have the ability to download updates over Wi-Fi (which I did on my car a few weeks ago). Otherwise, you need to load to a USB drive. I'm guessing that is what the dealer will do.

Model Year 2018 and Newer - MY21+ Infotainment System Firmware Updates | Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums (subaruxvforum.com)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I

I understand this, but my question is, is this the system that gets updated via Wi-Fi on my car. In reading other threads here (one is linked below), it seems like only the cars with 7" and 8" screens have the ability to download updates over Wi-Fi (which I did on my car a few weeks ago). Otherwise, you need to load to a USB drive. I'm guessing that is what the dealer will do.

Model Year 2018 and Newer - MY21+ Infotainment System Firmware Updates | Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums (subaruxvforum.com)
The 2018's with 8" does which I have. Have have not done any over the air updates though, always use a USB drive. This piticuclar update can only be completed at the dealer though.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,095 Posts
Got this, too. Although it says you have until February 2022 to get the update, has anyone else noticed that Starlink services are no longer working from the MySubaru site? I've tried emailing, calling them, etc. and get the runaround, that we need the new 4G upgrade. NOT what the email they sent says - we should have until a year from now... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got this, too. Although it says you have until February 2022 to get the update, has anyone else noticed that Starlink services are no longer working from the MySubaru site? I've tried emailing, calling them, etc. and get the runaround, that we need the new 4G upgrade. NOT what the email they sent says - we should have until a year from now... :rolleyes:
MySubaru worked for me before the update and as it should after. From what I found out you either get a software or firmware update depending on our Subaru.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I just now successfully locked and unlocked the doors on my 2018 Forester using both the app and mySubaru website. My 2018 Forester has not yet had the Starlink update.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,095 Posts
For me, the site looks different and after choosing an option (e.g. Locate) and entering the PIN, it just goes back to the main menu. One of the agents I talked to said they had been having some issues with the MySubaru site but that was like a week ago.

I've asked for a subscription credit. Let's see how far that goes...

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
For the heck of it I just tried remote services via the app for our 2019 Crosstrek (which does not require the update) and was able to remotely lock/unlock doors.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,095 Posts
For the heck of it I just tried remote services via the app for our 2019 Crosstrek (which does not require the update) and was able to remotely lock/unlock doors.
Don't know about the Forester but the '18 Crosstrek and '19 Crosstrek have different HU hardware. Gen 3.0 and Gen 3.1 respectively. Ours is not working right now and it was working just fine until a couple of weeks ago. Clowns...

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Sport, Sunshine Orange
140 Posts
Based off of who is posting in this tread and the responses, am I correct to assume this is a United States exclusive thing?

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
4,401 Posts
I imagine that depends on the current and planned status of 3G cell service in Canada.

And just to confirm, I assume that what Subaru is doing here is a hardware upgrade .. actually replacing the original 3G cellular chipset with a 4G or 5G one?

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,095 Posts
Based off of who is posting in this tread and the responses, am I correct to assume this is a United States exclusive thing?
I didn't think Canada had the remote Starlink services in the first place. It's currently operating over AT&T wireless here in the U.S. and I guess they're phasing out 3G. It probably won't be upgraded to 5G as that's still mostly only in densely populated areas. I imagine it's a new board with a new chipset, as @Montanan wrote. You can't go from 3G to 4G or 5G just with a firmware upgrade.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You either get a software update or hardware depending on the year of the vehicle. My 2018 Trek received a software update

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,095 Posts
You either get a software update or hardware depending on the year of the vehicle. My 2018 Trek received a software update

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I find this hard to believe. Dealers do firmware updates but I don't understand how a "software update" can upgrade a device from 3G to 4G.

This thread has prompted me to make an appointment at our dealer, otherwise I would have waited until next February, LOL. I'll post what happens.

Reactions: sas-XV
1 - 20 of 46 Posts