Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
without thinking I laid a wheeled suitcase on the back seat of my new leather interior; what do you guys recommend as leather cleaner. Plus what is your choice of wax and if I need polish, do I apply it before or after the wax, please.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Now we are talking. I am a bit of a detail fanatic. Pinnacle leather cleaner and conditioner. Wax goes on after polish.

Here is my go to
Wash Car pro Reset foam cannon
Iron x then rinse
Clay I use a few brands
Menzerna 3800 different pads based on condition
Car Pro Eraser
Collinite wax
Car Pro Reload

i do this once every 6 months. Maintenance all the other weeks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
without thinking I laid a wheeled suitcase on the back seat of my new leather interior; what do you guys recommend as leather cleaner. Plus what is your choice of wax and if I need polish, do I apply it before or after the wax, please.
Your question raises a whole 'nother ball of, er, wax. This all depends on how much time and sweat you want to put into cleaning and detailing your car. If you're somewhat lazy and your car is still in excellent paint condition, do what I did: use Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax. It's super easy to use, you'll get at least two applications from a single spray bottle, and it lasts a long time and looks great.

(FYI: just wash the car, while still wet spray on the HCW, then rub dry. Next time (after 3-6 months), same thing but even easier because instead of rubbing it dry, just hose it off, then dry the car.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Collinite wax
Loooooove Collinite. The best wax I have ever used.

For the original poster. There are tons of detailing videos on Youtube, that can be as in depth as your looking for.

Keep it simple:
1) Don't wash/wax in the sun
2) Don't use dish-soap
3) Get a good automotive soap
4) Rinse the grime off
5) Foam your car up (my preference), or suds it up with your washmit, whatever you got. Top to bottom.
6) Let is sit for a little (again, not in the sun please)
7) Rinse (repeat 5-6 if things are still grimmy), then wipe down with a new CLEAN bucket of water and CLEAN mitt (Noooot the dirty water/mitt you soaped it up with)
8) Dry with a clean soft towel/shammy/whathaveyou

9) Wax if you need it. (I tend to just pick a panel, and just wax it. The next time I wash the car, I pick another panel. Once I've done the whole car, I'll repeat the orbit next season, or if water isn't sheeting off the car, or the paint doesn't feel slick.

11) If the car is in dire need of care and your going to remove swirl-marks, deep grim, and unicorn glitter, that's when I'll use a good clay and polish. But only when it's needed, and then I'll do the same orbit around the car, just taking care of things in small chunks over a month or two. And the then the order for me, is clay (pulls the grim out of the paint), polish (removed small scratches and swirl marks), wax (seals it all up).

TIP:
12) Wash your wash-mits, towels, etc. after your done, so they are ready for you the next time. Don't just throw them in the bucket and forget about it, or you'll just undo all the hard work you did previously.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts