Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
942 Posts
No doubt - this guy [click on link] would never buy one with a manual transmission.
I hope I'm not about to make a mistake. I know some of you guys like the manual - and that's encouraging - but wow. It would be nice if it wasn't hated by so many.

There will always be someone who hates it, don't be bothered by that. Out of a 2003 OBS, 2008 impreza and this one, the Crosstrek's MT is by far the most fun. Again though, one learns to use it so that the gear ratios fit within the powerband. In the city, a MT is hardly ever fun. On a flat freeway you might be rumbling about the 6th gear being not tall enough - till you realize you don't need to downshift at the smallest incline.

Find a hilly twisty road where you're constantly shifting (or down shifting), and you'll be smiling non-stop while the engine purrs.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
5,448 Posts
No doubt - this guy [click on link] would never buy one with a manual transmission.
I hope I'm not about to make a mistake. I know some of you guys like the manual - and that's encouraging - but wow. It would be nice if it wasn't hated by so many.

Well, there's definitely going to be a fair amount of confirmation bias in a thread like this, because the results don't reflect the people (like me) who considered the MT but ultimately decided the CVT was a better match for the car. But that said, it doesn't really matter, because it's clear that the MT Crosstrek has some passionate fans ... and if you're a die-hard MT guy, that's really all you need to know.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Totally dig my 22 6MT. I would repeat the buy. 4500 miles and numerous Colorado mountain trips. It's not fast and I don't mind. 100% happy. If I was dissatisfied I could sell it today for almost no loss. It's a tool, not a jewel....don't overthink it. If you don't like it sell it. If the 24 has the 2.5 engine available with a manual I'll swap into that. Otherwise, I'm keeping it and looking forward to ski trips and slippery roads.

·
Registered
2018 Premium MT
83 Posts
The 6MT option was one of the reasons that I chose a Crosstrek. Also, for me, the size of the vehicle and awd was important. It came closest to ticking all the boxes for me. I just had to learn to live with the unchecked power box on my list. Unless another manufacturer can match what I look for, I would buy it again.

Doug

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,396 Posts
lol - I love that last line! It's very easy to get wrapped up in one person's opinion. And easier still if that opinion is negative. [For some reason] That said... I'm not worried at all about how quick the car is. For two reasons. I have a 2nd car. One that I bought new in 2006. A 300C SRT8. So that will always satisfy my 'need for speed'. The other reason I'm not worried - and one that makes me feel old - is that I don't think of 152 hp as 'not much'.
Well it's not hp, but rather hp to weight ratio. A friend once let me drive his 1989 Nissan Pathfinder V6. It had 140hp, but was over 4000lbs. Now THAT was a slug. You had to floor it just to get it to move. I have owned 2 100hp cars which were both around 2500lbs. Neither of them was a rocket, but neither was a slug either.

Have you ever driven a Toyota Starlet or a 1970's Beetle? I believe both had somewhere around 42hp.

Reactions: CanadaCraig

·
Registered
29 Posts
If I were to buy another Crosstrek, I'd get a manual only, ever. I've got a 19 premium with no options whatsoever. I also still have our 13 limited that I bought new. The CVT was replaced by Subaru at 53k miles and I had to get the solenoid controller replaced ($800 plus labor) at 150k miles. It's at around 172k now.

For the rev hang, I simply learned to pull my foot off the gas 1 second before I'm going to shift. No rev hang.

I'll also mention that 6th is way higher geared than an AP2 S2000. Not really a problem that I care about.

·
Registered
21' Premuim manual Ice Silver Metallic
54 Posts
If I were to buy another Crosstrek, I'd get a manual only, ever. I've got a 19 premium with no options whatsoever. I also still have our 13 limited that I bought new. The CVT was replaced by Subaru at 53k miles and I had to get the solenoid controller replaced ($800 plus labor) at 150k miles. It's at around 172k now.

For the rev hang, I simply learned to pull my foot off the gas 1 second before I'm going to shift. No rev hang.

I'll also mention that 6th is way higher geared than an AP2 S2000. Not really a problem that I care about.
Long-term reliability was also a big deciding factor in me buying a manual. Saving like $1200 in initial purchase cost didn’t hurt either.

And this is me ignoring my love and allegiance to the manual transmission and letting the logical side of my brain make decisions lol.

Reactions: CanadaCraig

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Hello

I found this 'long term wrap up review' from Car and Driver. It's of a 2012 Impreza wagon with a manual transmission. Given that this car is a little less powerful than the 2023 Crosstrek I'm waiting for and weighs only 120 lbs less [3,117 vs 2,997] I found the test results very interesting. Take note of the mpg's, the skidpad g's and how long it takes to get to 60 mph. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello

I found this 'long term wrap up review' from Car and Driver. It's of a 2012 Impreza wagon with a manual transmission. Given that this car is a little less powerful than the 2023 Crosstrek I'm waiting for and weighs only 120 lbs less [3,117 vs 2,997] I found the test results very interesting. Take note of the mpg's, the skidpad g's and how long it takes to get to 60 mph. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

That 2012 wouldn’t have been on the Subaru Global Platform, so is a completely different car. Not sure there’s much point in doing a comparison.

But Car and Driver has done a couple reviews of the 2018 Crosstrek, one with a manual. I assume you’ve read those?

As for 0-60, I wonder if the 5-speed gets to 60 in second gear, while the 6-speed in the Crosstrek needs third? That extra shift makes a difference in the stats, if not in the real world.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I really wanted to buy a WRX, but needed the hatchback so ended up with the Crosstrek. If they still made a WRX hatchback, I’d probably have bought that.

But my wife really likes the Crosstrek’s higher ride height, and I’m sure she’d have hated the WRX’s stiffer ride. TBH, I think I’d prefer the Crosstrek’s long-travel suspension and cushy ride as well.

Not sure you could put a 270 HP WRX motor in a Crosstrek and keep that soft ride without the car being a total disaster to drive. Maybe a 220 HP WRX-lite Crosstrek with a long-travel but slightly firmer suspension?

I’d have paid an extra $5k for that, but really, I’d probably be happy with just the current 2.5L and a 6MT if they offered that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I really wanted to buy a WRX, but needed the hatchback so ended up with the Crosstrek. If they still made a WRX hatchback, I’d probably have bought that.

But my wife really likes the Crosstrek’s higher ride height, and I’m sure she’d have hated the WRX’s stiffer ride. TBH, I think I’d prefer the Crosstrek’s long-travel suspension and cushy ride as well.

Not sure you could put a 270 HP WRX motor in a Crosstrek and keep that soft ride without the car being a total disaster to drive. Maybe a 220 HP WRX-lite Crosstrek with a long-travel but slightly firmer suspension?

I’d have paid an extra $5k for that, but really, I’d probably be happy with just the current 2.5L and a 6MT if they offered that.
This is your Turbo kit. Installing on mine after warranty.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Haha. I have looked into that already!

But I don’t understand how you’re supposed to tune it. I see the link to Subaru Edit, but is that an actual tune or just the tools you need to monkey with a tune yourself?
The link at the bottom for epifansoft is for the tune. As far as I can tell it is canned but any good tuner could likely do it. Absolutely required with the AVO kit.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
"The Crosstrek’s six-speed is a peach, with none of the rubbery jankiness that makes the Impreza’s unit unpleasant. The shifter’s action is positive and smooth, while the clutch is communicative and linear in engagement. And while we do think the CVT powertrain works a bit better than the manual in this application, by opting to shift your own gears you’ll save a thousand bucks and find yourself rewarded by a genuinely well-executed and pleasant gearbox." [Car and Driver - November 2017]

Do you agree?!

61 - 78 of 78 Posts