Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,396 Posts
Yes. We will. I ordered mine on July 11th and was told not to expect it before December. Apparently... I just got on the September build allotment thing [or whatever it is] in the nick of time! It sounded exciting when they said it. lol Not sure why your car wouldn't be on the list before mine. The dealer had quite a few Crosstreks. One limited and about 5 'Convenience' models. All with CVT's.
They usually give you an estimate at the long end. They would rather have you pleasantly surprised when the car comes in earlier than p!ssed off when it takes longer.

Reactions: CanadaCraig

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah, they were saying the wait for the 2022s was 4-5 months up here, then there was some good news about things improving and production increases at the Gunma plant… and now they’re saying 6-7 months for the 2023s.

Doesn’t make sense to me, but hopefully they’re just building in some wiggle room in case things go off the rails again.

I’m not too disappointed, as I’ll continue enjoying the GTI into the fall. But I’ll have a ski box and set of studded Hakka 10s for the Crosstrek waiting in November, just in case. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, because it can be easily fixed. You can tune the engine and have revs to drop as fast as you want. I find 6th gear most annoying, it should be much taller. 3500 revs at 85 is stupid, Subaru could drop that down to 2500 and further improve gas milage.
YES! 6th gear is so stupid in this car. I just noticed this weekend how I was over 3k rpms when i was at 75 MPH. No different than 5th gear in my old impreza.

·
Registered
2022 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
942 Posts
I'll likely sound like a broken record for the next few months, but for all MT owners.. get the Perrin shift-stop. I had my 2019 without it, and put it on the 2022 on the 2nd day. It makes a bloody of a difference when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, or when moving from 1st to 2nd. Best bang for the buck I've put on this car.

As for the 6MT itself - it becomes way more fun when you grasp the gear ratios. The torque curve is flat from ~2800 to 5800, so this is your playground. Which means, if you're doing an uphill twisties slalom, don't upshift till 4500 (the RPM drop from 1 to 2 and from 2 to 3 is fairly brutal) - and downshift as soon as you lug at 2500. Too many drivers are just afraid to floor the engine and let it sing at high RPMs. The 2.0 is not a powerhouse, but it delivers, and is very happy until the redline.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree with your statements, but my new 2022 Premium CT 6MT has very little lateral movement in gear. And I am used to driving a 911 with a GT4 shifter transplanted into it for rifle-bolt like short shifts. Maybe I am lucky or it will loosen up with time?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'll likely sound like a broken record for the next few months, but for all MT owners.. get the Perrin shift-stop. I had my 2019 without it, and put it on the 2022 on the 2nd day. It makes a bloody of a difference when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, or when moving from 1st to 2nd. Best bang for the buck I've put on this car.

As for the 6MT itself - it becomes way more fun when you grasp the gear ratios. The torque curve is flat from ~2800 to 5800, so this is your playground. Which means, if you're doing an uphill twisties slalom, don't upshift till 4500 (the RPM drop from 1 to 2 and from 2 to 3 is fairly brutal) - and downshift as soon as you lug at 2500. Too many drivers are just afraid to floor the engine and let it sing at high RPMs. The 2.0 is not a powerhouse, but it delivers, and is very happy until the redline.
Happy until the redline - I like to hear that!

I used to have a ‘99 Civic SiR - torque peak at 7,400 rpm, HP peak at 7,600 rpm, and an 8,000 rpm redline.

It made you work for it, but that engine was a dream. Shift at redline and you’d drop right down to 6,000 rpm and be in the meat of it again. Oh, and it spun close to 4,000 rpm in 6th at 75 mph, IIRC. ;)

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,396 Posts
Happy until the redline - I like to hear that!

I used to have a ‘99 Civic SiR - torque peak at 7,400 rpm, HP peak at 7,600 rpm, and an 8,000 rpm redline.

It made you work for it, but that engine was a dream. Shift at redline and you’d drop right down to 6,000 rpm and be in the meat of it again. Oh, and it spun close to 4,000 rpm in 6th at 75 mph, IIRC. ;)
Sounds like my '98 Acura Integra GS-R V-tech. A high revving high HP, low torque engine where all the punch is at the high end. Last gear (5th) revs 4000 at 80mph. Fun car, but as I age, the back complains at any drives more than an hour.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sounds like my '98 Acura Integra GS-R V-tech. A high revving high HP, low torque engine where all the punch is at the high end. Last gear (5th) revs 4000 at 80mph. Fun car, but as I age, the back complains at any drives more than an hour.
Yes, very similar cars. Same engine family, but yours would be a 1.8L while mine was 1.6L.

Oh, and of course I was wrong about the top gear - it was only a 5-speed, not 6. Sold that car in 2010 and was sad to see it go. Very impressed you’re still driving yours!

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,396 Posts
Yes, very similar cars. Same engine family, but yours would be a 1.8L while mine was 1.6L.

Oh, and of course I was wrong about the top gear - it was only a 5-speed, not 6. Sold that car in 2010 and was sad to see it go. Very impressed you’re still driving yours!
Yes, I still have mine! Bought it new in 1998. A garage and public transit commute has preserved it. It only has 83K miles. I've had about a dozen people stop me and ask if I want to sell it to them. It's a conversation starter for sure! Check out my post on the Integra forum:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello. I ordered a white Sport 6 speed on July 11th. Expect to see it sometime near Christmas. [Wow! That's a long time!] Having read one thing after another about 'rev hang'... I'm worried.

QUESTION: If you could go back in time... would you buy your Crosstrek with a manual transmission again?

Thanks.
CanadaCraig, I have a 2018 Crosstrek 6M, which seems to have "learned" how to rev over the last year! There are some pedal assists that interface with the electronic accelerator pedal, but you might risk voiding your warranty. I for one, am glad I got the 6M. Enjoy!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello. I ordered a white Sport 6 speed on July 11th. Expect to see it sometime near Christmas. [Wow! That's a long time!] Having read one thing after another about 'rev hang'... I'm worried.

QUESTION: If you could go back in time... would you buy your Crosstrek with a manual transmission again?

Thanks.
I have a 2021 Limited Automatic and I would definitely buy again.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek MT, 16" Method 502 wheels, Toyo Open Country AT3 225/70/16
5 Posts
Hmm, I plead ignorance about "rev hang." I have a 2021 MT and have never felt bothered by the shifting response. I've always driven a MT, and I'm talking since 1972. I moved to the Crosstrek after two decades driving Jeep Wranglers, my last a 2020 Unlimited (lifted and taller BFGs). So maybe that taints my expectations, but the Crosstrek's MT seems fine to me. Of course, the MT is underpowered, and I wish I could get the 182 HP engine with a MT, but in my year driving it, it's been a comfortable car and fast enough on takeoff and on the highway that I don't seem to be getting impatient gestures or angry tailgaters. At 70-73 mph, highway speed in my area, I'm at about 2900 rpm, and sixth gear holds my speed even when climbing hills. It's not a rocket, sure, I can whip it around corners control my downshift, so it feels fun enough for me. (I'd sure like the 182 HP, though.) As for that rev hang, I just haven't noticed anything too different from shifting my Wranglers.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,396 Posts
Haters will hate. Granted if you are comparing the MT and the acceleration of the Crosstrek to your favorite sports car, you will probably be a little disappointed. But really, the Crosstrek was not designed for a race track. If you want that, get a WRX.

I will say that with the ac on, it can be somewhat sluggish on hills. Otherwise it's fine. It's no rocket, but it's no slug either.

The MT? If you're used to the short throw of a sports car MT, yes, it's longer than that. But certainly not as long as other SUV's and trucks. As for the clutch? I have now owned 5 MT vehicles and I can say that every clutch has felt different. In fact, even clutches on 2 different cars same make and model feel different. The "feather light" complaint about the clutch reminded me of my 2009 Ouback which engaged so close to the floor, I inadvertently stalled it out more than any other MT car I owned. The Crosstrek clutch engages at a point I consider reasonable.

Haters will hate. Don't become a victim of paralysis by analysis.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
Haters will hate. Don't become a victim of paralysis by analysis.
lol - I love that last line! It's very easy to get wrapped up in one person's opinion. And easier still if that opinion is negative. [For some reason] That said... I'm not worried at all about how quick the car is. For two reasons. I have a 2nd car. One that I bought new in 2006. A 300C SRT8. So that will always satisfy my 'need for speed'. The other reason I'm not worried - and one that makes me feel old - is that I don't think of 152 hp as 'not much'. My very first car was a 1982 Honda Civic 1500GL. I drove that car through 11 US States back in the spring of 1982. I thought it was a wonderful little car. And it only had 67 hp.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts