Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I ordered a white Sport 6 speed on July 11th. Expect to see it sometime near Christmas. [Wow! That's a long time!] Having read one thing after another about 'rev hang'... I'm worried.

QUESTION: If you could go back in time... would you buy your Crosstrek with a manual transmission again?

Thanks.

Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
Yes, but I gotta admit, I really dislike the rev hang. In fact, when I saw the topic title, my reply was going to mention the rev hang but then I read your post and I saw you've been doing some research. Fortunately, for me at least, it only really comes into play for the 1 - 2 shift. After my warranty runs out, I may follow the lead of others on here and seek a retune to eliminate it.

Registered
21' Premuim manual Ice Silver Metallic
Id buy mine again in a heartbeat. like others have said, its a little annoying at first, but you get used to it just like you would any other car with drivability quirks.

Registered
I love mine, and would certainly get another one. Rev hang is tough, but I think the only thing the rev hang makes difficult is the shift from first to second as @saint said. You will learn to find a sweet spot at ~3500 rpm where the shift can be smooth and you don鈥檛 have to let off the throttle for 5 minutes waiting for the revs to drop down. Every other gear it鈥檚 barely noticeable because the synchros do a great job of covering for you.
Edit: sorry for the grammatical errors. Modern technology is rubbing off on me.

Registered
I find 6th gear most annoying, it should be much taller. 3500 revs at 85 is stupid, Subaru could drop that down to 2500 and further improve gas milage.
Curious, are there other vehicles out there that run with lower revs at 85 mph? I know my diesel will because it has boat loads of torque and therefore run a very very low revs.

Registered
2021 PYP Sport
The availability of a manual transmission is what made me get my first Crosstrek (a 2020 premium). The combination of gearing and rev hang, however, was very problematic for me. Most of my driving is done in 鈥渢he suburbs鈥. I eventually came to grips with the fact that I was bothered by holding up traffic at every stop light. When the used car market spiked, I test drove a 2021 sport. I was not prepared for how much better that drivetrain made the car for my uses. Night and day. I traded up.

Having said that, if Subaru made a manual available with the bigger engine, I鈥榙 go back in a heartbeat.

Reactions: PDawg

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From a Road and Track Article...

"If you despise rev hang enough for it to be a deal-breaker in your next new-car purchase, we suggest going for a car with direct injection. Because direct injection shoots fuel directly into the cylinder rather than the intake manifold, there's no excess fuel sitting in the manifold between gear changes that needs to be burned off. As Jason Fenske [Of Engineering Explained] states, however, there's still a possibility some rev hang can exist due to other reasons. So make sure to drive before you buy."

Does the 2.0 in new Subaru's have direct injection?

Interestingly enough.. Jason said near the end of his YouTube video on the subject, "Between my two personal vehicles, my Subaru Crosstrek and my Mazda MX5, which has direct injection, the Subaru Crosstrek, which has port injection, has significantly more rev hang." The Crosstrek Jason owns is a 2016 model.

Registered
Curious, are there other vehicles out there that run with lower revs at 85 mph? I know my diesel will because it has boat loads of torque and therefore run a very very low revs.
Yes, I had a manual Civic that was at 2700 revs or so at 85. I suspect Subaru got lazy; this is the same transmission in the WRX which is built for acceleration where high revs make sense. They didn鈥檛 take enough time to optimize/change the gear ratios.

You鈥檇 have to assume a driver choosing a manual is smart enough to know what gear they should be in. If the car is lugging on the highway (due to slow speed/towing)鈥o down a gear.

Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
And this is exactly why the gear ratio isn't smaller in 6th than it is. If you had 6th gear running at 2500 at 85mph, you would be shifting that little 2.0L engine into 5th at every tiny hill that came up. There is a very good reason the chosen ratios are what they are which works just fine for this car.

So it appears you can get the Sport model in an MT in Canada. Since the Sport model has the more powerful 2.5L engine, the gear ratios may be set up a little smaller as well since the engine won't need to rev as high for the same power.

As far as rev hang, I don't find it particularly objectionable. Compared to some vehicles I have driven, it's hardly noticeable. I once drove a Toyota FJ Cruiser MT and that had the worst rev hang ever. I also don't recommend you play with engine tuning to try and eliminate this as it may not pass emissions inspection after that.

Oh, and to answer your question, yes I would buy this car again with an MT in a heartbeat.

Reactions: CanadaCraig

Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
From a Road and Track Article...

"If you despise rev hang enough for it to be a deal-breaker in your next new-car purchase, we suggest going for a car with direct injection. Because direct injection shoots fuel directly into the cylinder rather than the intake manifold, there's no excess fuel sitting in the manifold between gear changes that needs to be burned off. As Jason Fenske [Of Engineering Explained] states, however, there's still a possibility some rev hang can exist due to other reasons. So make sure to drive before you buy."

Does the 2.0 in new Subaru's have direct injection?
I believe all Crosstreks were given direct injection starting with the 2018 model.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So it appears you can get the Sport model in an MT in Canada. Since the Sport model has the more powerful 2.5L engine, the gear ratios may be set up a little smaller as well since the engine won't need to rev as high for the same power.
Hi MA Subie,

No. The Sport in Canada does not come with the 2.5. That said... what you call 'Sport' in the US is called the 'Outdoor' in the Great White North. The Sport with the manual transmission in Canada comes with the following:

• LED Headlights that turn with steering wheel
  • Power Sunroof
  • 8" infotainment system [instead of 6.5"]
  • Dual USB ports [instead of 1]
  • Visor Vanity mirror lamp
  • Orange trim stitching
  • Aluminum pedals
  • 6 way power drivers seat [instead of 6 way manual]
  • Subaru Rear/Side Vehicle Detection System (SRVD): Blind spot detection, lane change assist, rear cross traffic alert

A nicely equipped car.

Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
Hi MA Subie,

No. The Sport in Canada does not come with the 2.5. That said... what you call 'Sport' in the US is called the 'Outdoor' in the Great White North. The Sport with the manual transmission in Canada comes with the following:

• LED Headlights that turn with steering wheel
  • Power Sunroof
  • 8" infotainment system [instead of 6.5"]
  • Dual USB ports [instead of 1]
  • Visor Vanity mirror lamp
  • Orange trim stitching
  • Aluminum pedals
  • 6 way power drivers seat [instead of 6 way manual]
  • Subaru Rear/Side Vehicle Detection System (SRVD): Blind spot detection, lane change assist, rear cross traffic alert

A nicely equipped car.
Isn't that last item part of the Eyesight system? I thought that was only available with a CVT, not with an MT.

Here in the U.S., we have 4 trim lines - Base, Premium, Sport and Limited. I have the Premium trim line.

Registered
I bought my 2021 Premium specifically because of the MT. Re: rev hang, I think we should hound HQ on flashing the ECU to get rid of rev hang. Tuners can do it. Subaru flashed the ECU for the low RPM spark retard issue, they can do it for rev hang. Will be a fight because the spark retard issue was a safety issue and rev hang is an annoyance.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Isn't that last item part of the Eyesight system? I thought that was only available with a CVT, not with an MT.

Here in the U.S., we have 4 trim lines - Base, Premium, Sport and Limited. I have the Premium trim line.
The 'Rear Cross Traffic Alert' in the manual is just that. An 'alert', a 'beep'. With the CVT the car will actually brake.
The trim lines available in Canada are - Convenience - Convenience [with Eyesight] - Touring - Touring [with Eyesight] - Outdoor with Eyesight - Sport - Sport [with Eyesight] - Limited with Eyesight. So you can get the manual transmission with the Convenience, Touring and Sport. I think 'Convenience' is silly name - but there you go!

Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
The 'Rear Cross Traffic Alert' in the manual is just that. An 'alert', a 'beep'. With the CVT the car will actually brake.
The trim lines available in Canada are - Convenience - Convenience [with Eyesight] - Touring - Touring [with Eyesight] - Outdoor with Eyesight - Sport - Sport [with Eyesight] - Limited with Eyesight. So you can get the manual transmission with the Convenience, Touring and Sport. I think 'Convenience' is silly name - but there you go!
It appears Canada is better with marketing terms than the U.S. is. I mean how marketable is the term "Base" unless they are aiming at the thrifty budget buyer?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts