Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

Subaru loyalist. Waiting for the XV Hybrid. Currently in a '05 Outback, I would love to see how many miles I can get her to but the trade value will plumet. 128,000 right now! and she is still running strong.

Anyone have an exact date for the XV Hybrid? or tips about trading in my current car?

I have considered going with the current XV and forgo the Hybrid. Thoughts?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Well the current XV with the CVT gets 25/33 MPG and the hybrid will get 28/34 so in my opinion it doesnt seem worth the extra money and battery technology in the car. I love my crosstrek and think the mpg i am getting is just right. If the hybrid got better mpg like 30/36 it might be worth it but if you really want a hybrid and think the extra few MPG is worth it then it might be for you! As for release date i expect around October. The 2013 crosstreks arrived at dealers in october 2012 so that would have to be my guess. Go test drive a crosstrek now and see how you like it!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm waiting. The hybrid has some significant improvements and while the mpg may not be that much better, the instant torque will be very much appreciated. I've got an '04 Volvo with 130,000 that's duct-tapped together and will be just fine till then.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
984 Posts
I'm waiting. The hybrid has some significant improvements and while the mpg may not be that much better, the instant torque will be very much appreciated. I've got an '04 Volvo with 130,000 that's duct-tapped together and will be just fine till then.

I'm just curious to what some of these significant improvements are? Besides the battery which doesnt add a significant amount of power. It has different wheels, different tail lights, a different color option, different gauge cluster, side mirrors with LED turn signals, and the bigger multifunction display over the radio. Otherwise its the same car with probably a $2,000-$3,000 estimated premium over the regular xv crosstrek. But if the extra money isnt an issue and hybrid is the way you want to go then by all means, do it! Itll probably be cool, but it wasnt worth the extra money for me.

·
Registered
687 Posts
hello and welcome! Since you live in the city a hybrid might be just the trick for you.

·
Banned
523 Posts
Personally I am not a fan of any of the Hybrids. Not that I wouldn't ever buy a hybrid but they don't meet my needs at this point. As for the XVHi, all I can say is Meh.

·
Registered
687 Posts
2014 order date starts : 8-5-13 (for the hybrid)
2014 first scheduled production (hybrid) is 12-21.13

According to my sources. ;)

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Welcome aboard man. I use to work in Brooklyn from 87 to 95. I am curious to see how the hybrid handles since it weighs 300 lbs more than the conventional XV.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Could someone please explain to a nong like me the long term advantages of a hybrid? Doesn't the fuel use have to be supplemented with electricity charging the batteries? Also aren't the batteries really expensive to replace, offsetting the fuel savings?
I have also heard that it makes more greenhouse gas emissions to manufacture a hybrid and the batteries are not recyclable?

·
Registered
271 Posts
All interesting questions and you made me curious, too! I already knew a bit about hybrid technology, but there are different implementations out there and I did a bit of reading on it. The general theory is that an internal combustion engine (ICE) is more efficient at higher revs, while an electric motor has all its torque available regardless of rpm. Since the electric motor is better at the low rpms, the car is accelerated from a stop using the electric motor and then the ICE takes over for cruising and also recharges the battery at that time.

Some hybrid cars do allow you to plug them in for a recharge, so they are called "Plug-in Hybrids." The XV Hybrid is not that type of hybrid, since it relies solely on internal sources to charge the battery. As stated before, the ICE charges the battery, but some energy is also recaptured during braking. When you hit the brake pedal, the electric motor remains linked to the wheels through the drive train. The wheels are now turning the motor, instead of the other way around. This allows it to act as a generator, which actually creates electricity instead of consuming it. In this state, and when there is a load on the generator(ie: charging the battery), it becomes harder to turn the shaft of the generator. Thus, it helps to slow the car down without relying solely on the conventional brakes while at the same time getting back some energy that would have been wasted in the form of heat when the standard brakes rub against the rotors/drums to slow down.

So by making electricity more efficiently using higher ICE revs and by recapturing spent energy while braking, the hybrid makes better use of the energy in the fuel that is burned.

I've read an article about the Prius batteries and they seem to last around 10 years. It could cost as little as $500 for a used battery or as much as $4100 according to someone in the comment section:
The 200,000-mile question: How does the Toyota Prius hold up?
If you initially paid $3000 more for the Prius and had to spend $3000 more for a new battery 10 years down the road, you'd still be ahead by $10000 if you saved $16000 in fuel costs (figuring 50% less fuel consumed at $4.00/gallon after 200000 miles). But, that's an example of a doubling in mpg, comparing your old 25 mpg car to a new 50 mpg Prius. There is a much smaller difference with the old XV vs the new hybrid XV, but there still may be some savings to be had both environmentally and monetarily for city drivers. It's worth it to mention that someone commented that they had never changed the brake pads on their Prius in 232000 miles due to regenerative braking, so that's quite a bit of savings right there.

Remember that when you improve the mpg you are decreasing your consumption of gasoline, which includes decreasing all the expense and resources needed to get that gas out of the ground. Unfortunately I don't have an answer if the environmental cost to manufacture the batteries is less than the environmental cost of just using a combustion engine with higher fuel consumption, but apparently you only have to manufacture a Prius battery once every 10 years. When the Prius came out it was getting double the mileage of many ICE powered cars out there, which seems like a pretty wide margin for claiming environmental gains. But, only a complete study of all the externalities would show this. I'm sure someone has tried to look at this somewhere.

As for some of the other differences between the XV and the XV Hybrid, they did some additional tweaking of the suspension and gave the car a more responsive steering ratio. The electric motor also gives the car some more pep when it works together with the ICE to assist in acceleration. Basically, the Hybrid XV is a performance improvement that happens to squeak out some better mileage numbers. That's pretty much how the Motor Trend review sums it up: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid Prototype First Drive - Motor Trend

Time to head to the BBQ!

Reactions: MAINIAC XV

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Wow! Thanks for all that information! Certainly answers all my questions:D
Looks like the XV Hybrid is very worthy contender n the hybrid market:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
NYCrosstrek, that was awesome. It is that plus all the accessory improvements, the keyless entry/start, and the optional HIDs. THAT is why I'm waiting. The price will be just below the XV limited as it is afforded the second production year production costs improvements for the model and drops a lot of the accessories that frankly I don't want: leather seats, NAV, moonroof, etc... I predict the XV will be a truly silent winner for Subaru. The company just seems to keep hitting home runs even though it's small. It has the highest customer loyalty and repeat business. Forbes wrote a great article on how Subaru has continued to grow its base year over year while maintaining strict production costs. Bottom line, it is solid with the tech resources of Toyota and heavy Fuji industries. I have looked for a competitor to the AWD XV Hybrid in the predicted price range. Nothing even comes close.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Do you happen to know the order date/production date for the 2014 non-hybrid? Thanks
6-3 orders open and production starts 10-31

Reactions: Ray
1 - 15 of 15 Posts