Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1621 - 1640 of 1654 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Craig, thanks again for the reply. No, the car is a UK model, I bought it fully in the knowledge its SD card was missing, but thought getting a replacement would be easy. It was only when I looked around, ebay mostly that I was running in to issues. Mostly that all the cards were stating for "2015" models onwards. They were £50.

So I rang a local dealer, and he said it would cost £350 to get one as they were only available from Japan. For that you can imagine I politely declined and took a punt on the ebay one. If the info is on the card, I wonder if there is a way to, legally, get a file to override the language. I've been using Google translate on my iphone, and operating the menus through the camera, so far to no avail.

edit: If it helps, the card I got was marked "SENQFJ6022" and "T1000-24540".

I tried to link to ebay but for some reason it wont work here.
Its similar here in Aus. I was quoted $695 AUD for a replacment card. Grr. It is interesting now that Subaru refer customers to

http://https://here.navigation.com/apac for Australian users, however I notice you can also change it to http://https://here.navigation.com/europe/ for the UK, so you may be able to get a replacement card through them hopefully at a resonable price. They quoted $195 AUD for a card for me.

As for the cards on EBAY, you have to be carefull. I originally looked there and 99% of the SD Cards I saw advertised were for European countries, not much good to me here in Oz.

It does seem the language is defined by config files located on the SD Card, and I could not find any menu options on my unit to change the text language. :(

As for the SD Cards, some of the data on them is encrypted using the SD Cards own unique ID to stop people copying someone else's SD Card. So even if I could send you the language files from my SD card, there is a very high chance that any encrypted files will fail to decrypt on your unit, so I suspect you are going to have to source a European/UK SD Card.

Sorry I cannot be of any more help.

Regards,

Craig

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Craig, no need to be sorry, you were very helpful even if it just means confirming that I wasn't going mad and you cannot change it :)

It will do, at least it is in English verbally, better than nothing!

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Craig,

I saw point 3, I'll get the services done at Subaru as required, I do about 15K Km / Yr so I'll be doing at least one a year anyway so point 3 doesn't worry me. I wanted to confirm that the MY18 XV had the map updates as it was not explicitly mentioned in the small print of the " very outdated" Oz Subaru site.
cheers, Ray
I can confirm that Subaru Australia do not have updated maps for the MY18. Subaru Japan have not provided the updates and service centres here can can do very little until Japan pulls there finger out. The map released with the latest model is far from accurate and no one seems to be able to advise how old it is. Also the Tom Tom Map functionality Is completely stripped down with many of the basic featured available on an off the shelf Tom Tom removed. This information came after I dropped off my car for a map update and picked it up 5 hours latter only to realise the map hadn’t been updated. After speaking with a Subary master mechanic I was told the above information. I’m hopping that a new map is available for my first 12k service otherwise I will be requesting an extra year to be added onto the end of my 3 years complimentary updates.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I JUST spoke with Subaru on July 28, 2018. They stated that the Map Updates (Free Downloads) only began in 2016 and does not cover my 2015 XV Crosstrek. I explained that I purchased the vehicle in 2016 and was then told by the Subaru of America representative that he would send me the link for the download - I would pay for it - ($59.00) and SofA would reimburse. Stay tuned. He also stated that the Company (H.E.R.E. <?>) that provides the updates was having issues on their website TODAY.

Hope this helps someone...

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I have a MY17 technically I bought it in Nov 2016 and it was built in August 2016

The way its going, three years worth of free maps might only be this current one....going by the frequency that they update it appears.

EDIT: Just returned from Subaru Service with the current 2017Q3 update, so all fixed:thumbs_up:

The Subaru great map update scandal rears it’s ugly head. After battling over my 2012 Subaru XV, we now have a 2016 OUTBACK so I’m interested in this thread again!!
What I would like to know is:
HAS ANYONE GOT A FREE MAP UPDATE UNDER THIS SUBARU SCHEME??
After forever driving into paddocks with our Outback, I figured it must have a very old map. Older than my XV which I’ve updated to a 2017 map.
I called Subaru Glen Waverley and asked if they have updated it in any of the 6 services we have paid for? Of course they said that they check for updates every time!
So I took the microSD card out and put it in my computer. It has a Q3 2014 map on it:shocked:
13DF9DC6-53FE-40CC-A4FF-4F9FFC39FD2B.jpg
Please note that you cannot access the map version directly from the head unit. The date found there is 2015 which could be the firmware version.
9014CDB1-DDD8-4CC2-B0C6-132C47E1A9C3.jpg
So in almost 3 years of servicing with them we have got 1 map updates.

·
Registered
23 Posts
In my new 2019 Crosstrek limited, I have finally quit trying to update the navigation maps which are out of date even though the car is only a month old. I am told that the update feature in the car has not been activated, so I tried the downloading on to a flash drive. After three attempts (each taking 10 hours), none of the downloads worked when I plugged the flash drive into the car's UBS socket. So besides being exasperated (my home street is not even on the map, and it is five years old), I am very disappointed in a system I had grand hopes for. So much for today's technology.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,210 Posts
In my new 2019 Crosstrek limited, I have finally quit trying to update the navigation maps which are out of date even though the car is only a month old. I am told that the update feature in the car has not been activated, so I tried the downloading on to a flash drive. After three attempts (each taking 10 hours), none of the downloads worked when I plugged the flash drive into the car's UBS socket. So besides being exasperated (my home street is not even on the map, and it is five years old), I am very disappointed in a system I had grand hopes for. So much for today's technology.
Lots of members here have been able to successfully download the maps and update their HU. There may be something wrong with your flash drive. Have you tried different ones?

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,439 Posts
So sorry to hear of your troubles. The technology definitely works. I have done two updates to my HU already, one at the dealer earlier on and more recently from the website myself. Worked very well for me.

Can you provide more details of your entire process, from downloading on your PC, what USB drive, and exactly how you did it on your car. Would like to help you through the process if we can.

And BTW, everything with my HU works great for me, incl Android Auto. Have no complaints whatsoever.

·
Registered
12 Posts
it took 2-3 months before of trying to log into the map update website and being told my car wasn't in the system before I was able to get in & see I was already up to date. Just got the notification the other day that an update was available & I'm going to try it this afternoon. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
it took 2-3 months before of trying to log into the map update website and being told my car wasn't in the system before I was able to get in & see I was already up to date. Just got the notification the other day that an update was available & I'm going to try it this afternoon. Fingers crossed!
Just be sure to follow these instructions to the letter, incl keeping your car running.
https://subaru-maps.com/#/usermanual
The download to the PC takes a while, as others have mentioned. And the car USB update takes a while too. It seems to get stuck on #8 at 100% for a while, but just be patient, and let it run. It will finish.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So sorry to hear of your troubles. The technology definitely works. I have done two updates to my HU already, one at the dealer earlier on and more recently from the website myself. Worked very well for me.

Can you provide more details of your entire process, from downloading on your PC, what USB drive, and exactly how you did it on your car. Would like to help you through the process if we can.

And BTW, everything with my HU works great for me, incl Android Auto. Have no complaints whatsoever.
Thank you R P. It is always encouraging to have help offered as you have done. Here are some more details. I am using a Scan Disk 32 GB flash drive that I just bought at Walmart. When I insert it in the USB socket in the car, I get nothing on the HU.

One funny thing I should mention. I get the install on USB drive message after I have downloaded the map data on the flash drive. I direct the download to the flash drive by going to settings and entering the location of the flash drive on my computer.

Does this help to explain why I can not get the flash drive to download in the car. Thanks again for your welcome reply.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Thank you R P. It is always encouraging to have help offered as you have done. Here are some more details. I am using a Scan Disk 32 GB flash drive that I just bought at Walmart. When I insert it in the USB socket in the car, I get nothing on the HU.

One funny thing I should mention. I get the install on USB drive message after I have downloaded the map data on the flash drive. I direct the download to the flash drive by going to settings and entering the location of the flash drive on my computer.

Does this help to explain why I can not get the flash drive to download in the car. Thanks again for your welcome reply.
On your PC, did you look at the contents of the download? And are you following these instructions to the letter, incl keeping the car running?

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I had to try 4 different USB's before the HU would recognize the file. PITA. The only one that worked was a new ScanDisk 3.0 32gb

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,210 Posts
I had to try 4 different USB's before the HU would recognize the file. PITA. The only one that worked was a new ScanDisk 3.0 32gb
Yeah that seemed to be a common issue reported (that, and not following the instructions). Having just gone through this with a new dash cam, it's probably how the drives are formatted and with which file structure, rather than a physical problem with the drive.

Reactions: Seattle

·
Registered
23 Posts
On your PC, did you look at the contents of the download? And are you following these instructions to the letter, incl keeping the car running?
Thanks for the link. That set me straight. I discovered that I was incorrectly putting the mapping downloader on my flash drive instead of on my computer. Once I discovered my mistake, I proceeded precisely according to the instructions, and voila, it worked. I have my map updates installed on my Crosstrek. Thanks again for the assistance.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Thanks for the link. That set me straight. I discovered that I was incorrectly putting the mapping downloader on my flash drive instead of on my computer. Once I discovered my mistake, I proceeded precisely according to the instructions, and voila, it worked. I have my map updates installed on my Crosstrek. Thanks again for the assistance.
Congrats, very happy for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

I have followed the user manual and got to the point I have a usb but do not know what to do next.

I put the usb into the usb sockets in the compartment between the seats but nothing happened?

Some other forums suggested I need to put it in the head unit. Where is that?

I noticed in my entertainment system manual on page 165 it said contact the dealer.

Can anyone help me on this?

Ian

PS fixed problem by putting the usb in the bottom slot in the console under the entertainment unit in dash not usb in console between the seats.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have successfully done two map updates on mine. It takes a while, with no problems. Used the USB in the center console.

Plus I had the Recall Head update done yesterday by the dealer. Hope that cures the problem of the AM/FM presets from disappearing. Now, if they only would program the radio to turn off.

Reactions: AstroKats

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,210 Posts
Just got this email:

There is a new map update available for your vehicle you can download. By downloading and installing the new map update, you can get the most recent map in your vehicle.
To download the new map update, please click the button below or copy and paste the map update URL into your browser.

Map Update URL: https://subaru-maps.com

1621 - 1640 of 1654 Posts