Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 40 of 1654 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Just wanted to bump this thread and see if anyone has heard of any updates yet... The Subaru website is not showing anything as yet.

I also noticed a few threads that have similar content so it would be good if we can keep it all in the one thread.

Being a techo geek freak I like to know that my technology will be updated. The rate that our major cities have road changes makes map updates rather critical.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi Big G,

I actually email NavTeq (who supply Subaru) last night with this exact question, we have had a few issues and realised the last update was 2010. I have since received a email saying they will get back to me in a couple of days to let me know what is happening. As soon as I know I will let you know.

I would really like to know what updates the dealer was talking about though, but if you have any additional information please pass it on.

I am ordering a new XV S and want to know how you go about updating the factory Sat Nav unit with map updates.

The dealer told me the first 3 updates, to be taken when I want them, are free with subsequent updates being $120 AUD.

Can anyone you owns a XV now give me some feedback on how the updates work and the costs associated with them and where I would go to get them - e.g. the my subaru web site??

Cheers.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ok the latest from Subaru Aust is that any XV built in 2012 has the latest map updates already installed. I don't know why the unit says 2010 though.

There is to be a link on the Subaru web site that will take a user to an area for any updates where we will have to subscribe and then download. Seems odd as I am sure the portable unit in my sisters cars (Tom Tom) was bought this year and when she registered it online it did a firmware and map update there and then. It also says there should be an update at least twice a year??

The unit I was told is supplied by Eclipse - I will investigate further and advise.

If that's the case I am a little confused as to why our latest update is 2010 and here we are in mid 2012 with a car that has been on the market in Oz for 7-8 months now and no updates.....I will keep this post updated with information as I receive it as currently where I drive doesn't register properly on the Sat Nav.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Seems odd as I am sure the portable unit in my sisters cars (Tom Tom) was bought this year and when she registered it online it did a firmware and map update there and then. It also says there should be an update at least twice a year??
Hi Big G,
Tom Tom has always been really good with updates. Garmin are fairly similar. Most of these devices have the ability to have firmware updated as well as maps. Usually there are a few bugs (especially with first releases) that get ironed out with these type of updates, similar to mobile phones, LCD TVs, etc.

Will be interesting to see Subaru's take on it or if they just fob it off as the device manufacturers issue. So far your responses from Subaru AUS indicate they intend to do something. Lets keep our fingers crossed lol

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Latest Update - Subaru dealership told me that we have to register the Sat Nav unit on the Eclipse web site and await updates. There are currently no updates available for this model apparently. I also called Eclipse Customer Service and they advise me that Eclipse are the authorised distributors for the unit manufactuered by Fujitsu Ten. When I gave them the model number off my Sat Nav in the car they told me it was not a model they sold or supported! NavTeq supply the software that runs on it not the hardware.

Odd that however the model number was from the top LHS of the unit itself and should have the number 7 or 8 in it - mine does not. Anyone else care to advise their unit numbers and I will follow through with Eclipse.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi Big G, thanks for doing the footwork for us all, we have personally requested help from the NavTeq email enquiry address, but nothing yet.
Our model number is FM201KS.(found on top left hand side on unit facia)nThere was no 7 or 8 anywhere in the numbers?
I feel that this is an inferior Sat Navigation unit compared to, say, the Toyota Nippon Denso unit I am using on the other vehicle. Little alone to sell the Fujitsu Ten unit with 2010 map data installed. Let us see if as a group we can find a solution to present to our various dealerships.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Thanks to everyone who has been seriously following up this update issue. We all need some answers. Especially considering some of you have owned your cars for 6+ months. Ultimately it is Subaru Australia's responsibility. My model no is the same: FM201KS

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have same model on my L with build date JUN-12.
Also my software is:
Navigation - 16:24/17.04 9.2.2.230646
Audio - 17,04,2012 Ver,42.0709

I have noticed a little skipping not long after my sat/nav boots, but my phone is bluetoothing and 8GB of music is starting so my guess it is the amount of files on the USB causing it. Does anyone get this with a ipod with more than 8gb of music?

·
Premium Member
2,238 Posts
Can someone post a picture of their Nav unit. I'd like to see if it is similar to what is used in the 2012 Impreza (that I have images I can compare). I visited the NavTeq site (must have an IP reader because up popped a map featuring my approximate location) and it offers nothing for Subaru when selecting an update. Quite possibly North America will get another make of radio/nav (????).

I had Clarions in both the 99 & 2008 Foresters, no nav, Subaru used Kenwood for the 09-12 Foresters with nav (updates were expensive). Me thinks they contract supply in different markets, then pass the buck to the manufacturer to supply updates.

I'm kinda' happy reading that the Sport model for Canada does not include navigation, so I can continue using my Garmin with lifetime free updates.

Cheers
Doug

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes, with the Susie's iPhone(4) plugged in we have had a freezing of the music, we changed to my iPhone (4s) and it seems ok,but definitely had an issue at one time.We are not sure if at the time it was bluetooth streaming and on that mode, or we were using the USB mode as it was the first day on the road and we were trying all the gadgets out.
I have sent Subaru customer care a product complaint with my gripes and I will see what they say, stay tuned.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hi All,
I went to the NavTeq site today. Freaked me out a bit as it listed my location as Geneva. I then remembered that our corporate internet access pops out there (yes I know I should be working lol).

Anyway there is a map update section and Subaru is listed as a supported manufacturer. Bad news is that in the Subaru part our XV's are not listed only Impreza, Forester, Legacy/Liberty & Tribeca and only up to 2010 models, nothing later. Also the locations were only Europe or America.

This is starting to look fairly grim for us Aussies but I guess/hope we may see some action if we all start hammering Subaru AUS.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,238 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
^^^interesting, I can get no farther than here and no sub-listings for the models show up (?). http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqNorthAmerica-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewStandardCatalog-Browse?CatalogCategoryID=Aa8KCghBX5cAAAE4u1ll8mr_&ShowAllProducts=YES&PersistNavigationMenu=YES I did look at some other manufacturers that showed sub-models and updates available but nothing for Subaru.
Hi GD,
Weird... I'm getting to here http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site/en_GB/-/EUR/Default-Start?NewLocaleID=en_GB&NewDomainName=Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site

I can choose either Europe or America as my location. Left hand side I get a option to select my device. I choose "built in factory install" I can then select manufacturer "Subaru" and then I get a list of models. Pick say Impreza then I can select what year but only up to 2010.

Will need to investigate further. Can anybody tell me the exact Eclipse Model number of the SAT/NAV unit pls???

#EDIT#: I just went directly from my link posted above and I can see the Subaru option (logo) on the main screen.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Oops blocked by corporate.. Let me try that again using another connection :D

Ok I can see the pic but cannot make out any model number. I'm guessing the Subaru badge has replaced the Eclipse one.

mmm now I have cleaned my glasses I can see it :eek: Same as everyone else FM201KS and I get bugger all hits on it when I search apart from links back to our forum...

·
Registered
851 Posts
<snip>
#EDIT#: I just went directly from my link posted above and I can see the Subaru option (logo) on the main screen.
Wow! That's expensive for a map update (Europe).

I'd rather use my Nokia with Ovi Maps or iPhone with Google Maps!

·
Premium Member
2,238 Posts
Thanks to both of you. It appears the nav unit is the same for the 2012 Impreza here, so I'll expect the same for the North American XV's equipped with navigation when they arrive.

I see the European NavTeq site is more accessible than what is being offered for North America, where only a few manufacturers have active links to buy updates, so it also looks like they are behind on offering updates for North American Subaru owners as well. As mentioned earlier, when the SH series Foresters came out offering navigation, Kenwood was on the ball with updates, but bloody expensive at around $200USD. Yet looking at the Europe NavTeq site and going through the update for the 2010 Impreza it's over 200 British Pound Sterling which is over 300 AUD

·
Registered
382 Posts
Wow! That's expensive for a map update (Europe).

I'd rather use my Nokia with Ovi Maps or iPhone with Google Maps!
Yes I know but it will be euro maps so pretty useless for us in AUS and you in the Philippines.

The last thing I have looked at today is Whereis maps. Again our Subaru model is not listed but they seem to have updates for alot of earlier Subaru models. I have sent them a email with as much detail as I can about the SAT/NAV system our cars in AUS have. I will advise once/if I get a reply.

Oh, whereis lists an AUS map update CD runs for $295.00 AUD. OUCH!!! Sharks with friggin' lasers could be cheaper :D

21 - 40 of 1654 Posts