Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1654 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ordering a new XV S and want to know how you go about updating the factory Sat Nav unit with map updates.

The dealer told me the first 3 updates, to be taken when I want them, are free with subsequent updates being $120 AUD.

Can anyone you owns a XV now give me some feedback on how the updates work and the costs associated with them and where I would go to get them - e.g. the my subaru web site??

Cheers.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response - I called a major CBD Subaru Service Dept here in Brisbane and asked this same question and the inital response was 'why do you need to know as nobody else has asked'! I was not sure how to take this but he was polite enough to listen and promised to get back to me. So far nothing hence my question on this forum.

The XV has been out now for 6 months or so, been very popular by all accounts, so I assume from that there are a lot of people out there with the Sat Nav fitted but no one seems to know about this important update or how to do it.

I will follow through and post a response here as soon as I get one.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes indeed - after the dealership couldn't answer this question, referred me to their Service Dept and whilst polite and honest could not help and they referred me to Subaru head office (like you did) and they are investigating as they have had a few calls about this very issue. Last step this forum.....

We will get to the bottom of it and get a process in place but it is surprising that nothing is listed in the cars manual, nothing too detailed in the service dept database and yet the car is selling well, is very popular and this is a key piece of kit in the car. That is unless no body is actually using it or the maps are up to date as the car is too new...stay tuned as I wil post any updates as I get them.

·
Premium Member
2,238 Posts
I'm not sure what make of radio your XV is equipped with but when the last generation of Subaru's equipped with navigation came out, Subaru directed you to the manufacturers website which since 09, Kenwood has supplied the nav systems for North America. Once there you purchased a cd update and by pressing a few buttons on the stereo the update was read and transferred. From what I have read on other Subaru forums regarding the nav systems, the stand-alone from Garmin and Tom Tom tend to be more detailed with better options, hell the Kenwood systems don't even cover two US States, Alaska and Hawaii, so if you live there your Nav is useless.

Heres some info for the nav units in North America http://www.cars101.com/subaru/navigation.html with a link to information from Kenwood. Depending on what brand Subaru may be using in your country (it appears to change internationally) you'll probably have the best luck contacting the supplier. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. I know are a few manufacturers here in Oz that use Tom Tom or Garvin based units so you go to their site and download updates for a fee, however I cannot find the OEM maker of the unit in the XV here in Oz so that makes it a bit hard.

FYI Ford here offer 5 years of updates FOC that are done whilst the car is being serviced apparently and only after that term do they cost money. Nice service on that point.

The CD/DVD sounds interesting as you say - why then do we have a SD Card in the head unit? Does your model have this?

Will keep this post updated as I get further information....thanks for your suggestions and feedback!

·
Premium Member
2,238 Posts
Unfortunately we have not yet had the XV released in North America so I can't answer the question of the SD card inclusion in our radio options. We North American are still left living vicariously through your comments on your XV ownerships.

Have a look through your Warranty and Service booklet (at least we get these with the owners manual). In my booklet under the Subaru Limited Warranty it indicates that my 08 Forester radio is made by Clarion and warranty work on audio equipment "may require removal and repair at an authorized Clarion dealer, resulting in a temporary loss of usage until the audio equipment is repaired or replaced". So at least here in Canada the manufacturer is identified if you dig deeper into the warranties. Maybe similar info may be within your warranty information. But I think the easier route will be Subaru's Customer Service getting back to you after doing a little research of their own.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Big G,

The following comment is on on CarAdvice.com.au (thread titled Car News » 2012 Subaru XV: Australian prices and specifications):

quote: "Looks like the Toyota/Subaru sharing of stuff has begun a little premature of the 86/BRZ release. The 2.0i-L has exactly the same Fujitsu Ten satnav headunit as in the facelift Hilux SR5 and new Yaris YRX/ZR." THis quote is attributed to "ToyotaGuru"

·
Registered
29 Posts
A person at the Docklands told me the maps that are used are ' Whereis '. The website says you purchase update maps via CD and you insert them in your CD player in the car to update the maps.

Also they are Fujitsu Units.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was also told about "Whereis" at Docklands, but no one knows about updates. Any idea what version comes with the car?

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I've bento where is website and for subarus they have only updates for 2010 cars
I think our 2012 xv is too new

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Eclipse (Australia) web site has a new 7 inch model, probably a rebadged Fujitsu Ten device, called the AVN827GA, and its navigation screen layout is exactly the same as on the Australian XV satnav. This larger model has the buttons along the bottom rather than the side, otherwise seems very similar to current XV version. The maps on the AVN827GA are by NAVTEQ and that is also cited in the XV's satnav owners manual on page 314. The "About Trademarks" section in our satnav manual is identical to that of the AVN827GA manual.

I have emailed Subaru Australia asking how/when we can get map updates. Will post here when I get an answer.

See http://www.eclipse-web.com/au/products/navigation/avn/827ga/

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got a response from Subaru Aust about the Sat Nav and updates. As mentioned above the XV has a unit manufacturered by Eclipse and its very similiar to the latest version they offer the retail market - Model AVN827GA - and there are currently no map updates.

Subaru Aust will be placing a link on their web site in the next month or so directing where XV owners can get updates from and it will more than likely be from a site called NavTec (Naviextras) where we will have to register our car/unit somehow to be eligible for these updates. No word on cost also but they were saying the first update may be free to ensure we get the latest maps from new. Apparently if you buy one of these units from a retail store it comes with a 'scratchie' card that you have to scratch off a number to put in the web site when registering your product.

Has anyone that's taken delivery of their XV found this card in their official log book or paperwork somewhere or been given one?

Also the retail unit does have a few features that Subaru have taken out, like the DVD option, for whatever reason hence the confusion when the car was released and details were placed on their web site stating that the XV can play DVD's when clearly it does not! The unit did have the feature but it was removed. Also the live traffic updates does not work in Qld as we don't have that technology here, only in NSW and Vic at present.

Also the mapi function reqd for full iPhone intergration is not a Sat Nav unit issue its Apple software not allowing it. That will change when iOS5 is upgraded to iOS6 this year.

1 - 20 of 1654 Posts