Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Awesome! Looks like a sweet road. You were really hauling *** in some of those sections. Looked like fun!

·
Super Moderator
2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek
1,144 Posts
Wow great video! I have been looking for roads like that in the Santa Clarita area, where is that one?

By the way, were you at Vasquez Rocks yesterday?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow great video! I have been looking for roads like that in the Santa Clarita area, where is that one?

By the way, were you at Vasquez Rocks yesterday?
Thanks. No, that wasn't me.
It's called Quarry Road off of Boquet Canyon Road, should come up in Google. Once you get to the top it branches out and you can go all over the ridge line. There's a few other roads/trails nearby too.

·
Registered
712 Posts
That was really nicely edited.

What mount do you use to attach the camera (I'm guessing it was a gopro) to the sides/front of your car when you get the angles that show the wheels, grille, etc? I've tried getting good angles like that with my gopro suction cup mount but it only sticks to the glass and I can't get the wheels in view very well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was really nicely edited.

What mount do you use to attach the camera (I'm guessing it was a gopro) to the sides/front of your car when you get the angles that show the wheels, grille, etc? I've tried getting good angles like that with my gopro suction cup mount but it only sticks to the glass and I can't get the wheels in view very well.
Thanks.
Yeah, it's filmed with a couple GoPro's and some static shots with my Canon 7D. The GoPro's are mounted with the Joby Suction Cup mount, pretty similar to the GoPro suction mount. There's a little hub adapter that i used to angle the camera 90˚ for the wheel shots, and for the grill shot I extended it out a bit with a Locking Arm that Joby has too. That arm wobbles a bit, as you can see the vibrations in the video, but works for quick shots. As far as sticking to glass only, as long as it's a flat surface and clean, those suction mounts shouldn't have any issues sticking to the body. I'll admit I did stop a couple times after some super bumpy sections to make sure it was still on, but they hold really well.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek
1,144 Posts
Your shots have really good stabilization, how did you accomplish that? My gopro is not nearly that fluid.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your shots have really good stabilization, how did you accomplish that? My gopro is not nearly that fluid.
Probably luck...
I think its because I didn't use arms or anything in between the suction mount and the camera. The only shot where I used and extender arm was to get the grill shot, and you can see that it is shaky. The further the camera is from the mount the more likely it is to pick up vibration and movement.

Mount.jpg

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Sport 6 MT
3,340 Posts
Figured it was GoPro, or you managed to sweet talk somebody into hanging onto the sides of your ride :icon_lol:

Great Video, we have a lot of terrain in the Interior of BC just like ( have to wait for the white stuff to melt hahahahahaha)

Troutbum

·
Registered
552 Posts
What a fantastic video. Really well put together, great shots, and nicely thought out. Editing was spot-on.

I loved seeing the shots of the wheels and the suspension hard at work.

The roads looked like a great place to drive. Like the XV color too ;)

Just, WOW.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Embrace the Hoonage! :icon_lol:

Oh, and nice to see another Browncoat, too. ;)

Reactions: f1209

·
Registered
113 Posts
I like how you painted your chrome grill black. I've been wondering how that would look, I kind of liked it.

Oh, good video too. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts