Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Justin & his guys at Auto Wheel Drive Auto in Kirkland, Washington are the only guys who get to touch my Subaru's.

'12 Forester FB25 4EAT
'13 Crosstrek FB20 CVT

·
Registered
98 Posts
i just had my 5000km complimentary service, i've been checking the oil every time i fill up with petrol and haven't had any dramas with losing oil, knock on wood it stays that way after the oil change today, love my XV more every day :)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Did my first oil change this weekend - I was at about 3100 miles and my oil level was right at the "low" line before the change (I'd never had to add any oil yet). So, I'd say in that time I used/burned about a quarter to a half of a quart.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is anyone else experiencing high oil consumption in their XV??
Mine uses 2 litres in approx. 4000 klms
Hi Lara. We purchased our xv manual over 2 years ago. I think it may have been the first to arrive in Aus. it was at about 4000km that the oil light came on. Horrified took straight back to dealer. It took a litre of oil and they thought it may have been low from new.At around 8000 km oil light came on again. I was told until it used 1 litre per 2000km it is not a problem as the manual says so. Well i have been puting in a litre at around 3500km now for over 2 years. we have now done 60000km and is still using oil. I think it is rediculous that so much oil is consumed. I even requested some oil from our local Suburu dealer to carry us over between services. No Chance. My 11 year old Hilux does not use a drop of oil. SWe had a 2011 imprezza before the xv and it was a far better built car. It handled better, better performance and used no oil. So i am very frustrated with this car. it might have good fuel economy but what is the point if you are spending $25 on oil every 5 fill ups of petrol. Not sure where to go from here and i am hoping it doesnt get worse especially when warranty runs out at 3 years.

·
Premium Member
3,562 Posts
Hi Lara. We purchased our xv manual over 2 years ago. I think it may have been the first to arrive in Aus. it was at about 4000km that the oil light came on. Horrified took straight back to dealer. It took a litre of oil and they thought it may have been low from new.At around 8000 km oil light came on again. I was told until it used 1 litre per 2000km it is not a problem as the manual says so. Well i have been puting in a litre at around 3500km now for over 2 years. we have now done 60000km and is still using oil. I think it is rediculous that so much oil is consumed. I even requested some oil from our local Suburu dealer to carry us over between services. No Chance. My 11 year old Hilux does not use a drop of oil. SWe had a 2011 imprezza before the xv and it was a far better built car. It handled better, better performance and used no oil. So i am very frustrated with this car. it might have good fuel economy but what is the point if you are spending $25 on oil every 5 fill ups of petrol. Not sure where to go from here and i am hoping it doesnt get worse especially when warranty runs out at 3 years.
Welcome to the forum Donjay.
I don't think your oil usage is normal at all.
I also bought my XV more than 2 years ago and it was also one of the first to arrive in Australia...and I have never ever had to put a drop of extra oil in it. It's just had it's regular services and that's all...
I think I would be extremely upset if I had to put oil in it every 3500kms...that's ridiculous!
I am amazed that Subaru think that it is acceptable.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I also bought my XV more than 2 years ago and it was also one of the first to arrive in Australia...and I have never ever had to put a drop of extra oil in it. It's just had it's regular services and that's all...
I think I would be extremely upset if I had to put oil in it every 3500kms...that's ridiculous!
Your oil consumption is not as bad as some have posted. I did the conversion and it works out to about 1 quart to every 2500 miles. Granted, there are those like DebsXV and mine that use no oil so I understand your frustration. Have you or the dealer checked the PCV? Some have posted that when it's clogged or not working properly, oil consumption goes up. Replacing it seems to have worked for some.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I do have issues with mine burning oil.
I noticed after the first oil change the low oil light came on...then about 3 more times- each time it was about a quart low. I finally took it to the dealer. ive had it since November 2013 and the light has come on about 6x now each time about a quart low. ive had 2 oil consumption test done at the dealer and now they want to do a compression leak down test.

has anyone ever gotten this "problem fixed" and what are the long term effects, if any, after its fixed? I love this car but having to keep putting oil in it and worry about it is annoying.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I am amazed at how much more realistic Australian owners are than Americans. The guys over on nasioc will flame anyone who says an ill word of Subaru or their oil problem.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I do have issues with mine burning oil.
I noticed after the first oil change the low oil light came on...then about 3 more times- each time it was about a quart low. I finally took it to the dealer. ive had it since November 2013 and the light has come on about 6x now each time about a quart low. ive had 2 oil consumption test done at the dealer and now they want to do a compression leak down test.

has anyone ever gotten this "problem fixed" and what are the long term effects, if any, after its fixed? I love this car but having to keep putting oil in it and worry about it is annoying.
An owner on nasioc has had his engine replace and is now fixing to have the replacement engine torn down for new rings.

·
Registered
52 Posts
yeah absolutely. I found one guy whos '12 impreza burned a lot of oil so he traded it in for the xv which now has problems. a lot of interesting things over there
'

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've talked to other XV owners that burn zero oil between oil changes. Can anyone explain to me why there are these differences? Why does the FB 2.0 and 2.5 engines different than the other types? Were they built at a different location, using different specs, etc? No one seems to be able to really pinpoint what's causing this big difference on why some have no problem and others, like me, have had a ring-job and still burning 1/2 quart oil per 1200 miles. I'm monitoring because my assumption is the performance and consumption will continue to worsen, as it did prior to the ring-job. Any insights?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
...No one seems to be able to really pinpoint what's causing this big difference on why some have no problem and others, like me, have had a ring-job and still burning 1/2 quart oil per 1200 miles.... ...Any insights?
Hello and welcome aboard. Appreciate if could help update your car's status and signature. ie manual or CVT, colour, hybrid/petrol/diesel?

What we have discovered, is that the majority of owners with the CVT transmission do not suffer the oil loss problem (after having had the first oil change).

For manual transmission owners, there is also a theory that the oil loss can be caused by your particular driving style. eg. if you utilise a lot of engine braking on mountain roads, or do a lot of foot heavy acceleration, etc
Owners who are obsessive about keeping their fuel consumption extremely low, do not seem to have the oil loss problem.

·
Registered
475 Posts
For manual transmission owners, there is also a theory that the oil loss can be caused by your particular driving style. eg. if you utilise a lot of engine braking on mountain roads, or do a lot of foot heavy acceleration, etc
Owners who are obsessive about keeping their fuel consumption extremely low, do not seem to have the oil loss problem.
Could be. I've got a 5spd and do drive in some areas where I can use compression braking. I don't pound the snot out of my XV, but I do wind it out at times w/ a lot of foot to the floor between gears. I've never babied it. I just added ~3/4 of a quart of Napa (Ashland) full synth 5w30 to my 2014 XV, at just over 5Kmi. Added a quart at 1600mi, did the first OCI at 3200mi, then added almost a quart today at 5000.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello and welcome aboard. Appreciate if could help update your car's status and signature. ie manual or CVT, colour, hybrid/petrol/diesel?

What we have discovered, is that the majority of owners with the CVT transmission do not suffer the oil loss problem (after having had the first oil change).

while this may be true for some... this is not true for me. I experience high oil consumption. First I have the CVT transmission and 2nd my driving style is very laid back to try to conserve my MPGs, but still I have an oil issue.

it would be nice to know the true cause because I think its ridiculous that some burn oil and some don't.

21 - 40 of 180 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.