Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Subaru XV 2018 HQ4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I just got my XV last year. My headunit is the stock HU which is the simplest HU i ever see, no starlink whatsoever. Im fine with this simple HU. Just that Im not satisfy with the sound quality it provide me even i tuned the EQ and presets which seems like doesnt do much to me. Its pretty much no bass for me.

So im asking, if i retain the stock HU and speakers, adding an amp and sub will it be better? or simply get an DSP would do the trick?
My requirement are just simple:
1. Low cost (no need to buy a bunch of stuff and cutting wires etc)
2. Retain factory integration
3. Boost more a little more bass
The bass from Subaru Forester i think is 2015? the one came with Kenwood HU got a pretty good kick. If can get that kind or slightly higher performance of what the forester had, i will accept.

Im from Malaysia btw. So i guess there might be a different model of HU compare to other country?

Edit: In short, no cutting wires, minimal changes, retain factory HU.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts

·
Registered
Subaru XV 2018 HQ4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd start with changing the front 6 x 9" speakers. Do research @;
www.crutchfield.com
Thanks for the reply. Will do. Because from my HU, the adjustment are really limited. Only Bass, Mid and Treble while on the DSP side only loaded profile dont have custom profile. I dont know other country model are same with mine or not.

Besides that, last time saw that OEM Audio Plus does have plug and play amp and sub for all subaru. Dont know how that perform.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I don't know what front speakers came in a Malaysian Crosstrek, 6 x 9 or 6 1/2. Either way upgrade them.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,162 Posts
There's another thread here somewhere about that. The HU is completely different from the Harman unit in the North American, European and other markets.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I had all my speakers replaced at a local shop for $450. i'm very happy with the sound.
What year Crosstrek do you have, and what speakers were installed?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a 2019 and replaced my fronts with 6x9 and replaced the rears also. What you will find is that the sound is greatly improved over the stock speakers. But the minuet you start turning it up is when you will find that the HU is completely deficient in being able to supply the power needed to run them. Some sort of amplification is needed. If you don't then I think you will be ultimately disappointed. I installed an inline amp which does require wire cutting. Not sure what you will be able to find that is plug and play.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What size are the back? I did this on my 2016 and also changed the HU but totaled that am upgrading. I've read the back on the Premium are 6.5 or 6.75 but can't get exact information.

·
Registered
612 Posts
What year Crosstrek do you have, and what speakers were installed?
2016. the speakers were mid-grade (pioneer, kicker etc) but I dont't remember the brands. I've been going to the same stereo shop for about 30 years and he has done all my cars except my 2012 focus which had a 10-speaker sony system.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have a 2019 and replaced my fronts with 6x9 and replaced the rears also. What you will find is that the sound is greatly improved over the stock speakers. But the minuet you start turning it up is when you will find that the HU is completely deficient in being able to supply the power needed to run them. Some sort of amplification is needed. If you don't then I think you will be ultimately disappointed. I installed an inline amp which does require wire cutting. Not sure what you will be able to find that is plug and play.

that's not the case with my system at all. I listen to rock and roll loud. but my car isn't one that makes all the cars around me vibrate at a stop light with obnoxious bass.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I chose Polks with a sensitivity of 92db. There is not enough power at highway speed with the windows lowered. If the moon-roof is tipped up it's OK. Get efficient speakers.

·
Registered
Subaru XV 2018 HQ4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's another thread here somewhere about that. The HU is completely different from the Harman unit in the North American, European and other markets.
I cant find any info about the HU in the car unless i take it out. But from research, it seems to be a Panasonic HU. which high possible that is not powerful enough

·
Registered
Subaru XV 2018 HQ4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I see. Maybe i should also try with the front speaker upgrade first and determine is it enough for me or not. Thanks!

·
Registered
Subaru XV 2018 HQ4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What size are the back? I did this on my 2016 and also changed the HU but totaled that am upgrading. I've read the back on the Premium are 6.5 or 6.75 but can't get exact information.
From what i found on crutchfield, the rear is 6.5 inch.

·
Registered
Subaru XV 2018 HQ4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2016. the speakers were mid-grade (pioneer, kicker etc) but I dont't remember the brands. I've been going to the same stereo shop for about 30 years and he has done all my cars except my 2012 focus which had a 10-speaker sony system.
You just changed the speakers while maintaining the HU?

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,162 Posts
I cant find any info about the HU in the car unless i take it out. But from research, it seems to be a Panasonic HU. which high possible that is not powerful enough
That's consistent with what I read elsewhere. Thanks!

In North America, Europe, Australia, etc. it's a different HU made by Harman Industries. So, sadly, much of the info here won't apply to you. But if you can let us know what you have that would be helpful here, too!

·
Registered
Subaru XV 2018 HQ4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
That's consistent with what I read elsewhere. Thanks!

In North America, Europe, Australia, etc. it's a different HU made by Harman Industries. So, sadly, much of the info here won't apply to you. But if you can let us know what you have that would be helpful here, too!
Will do!

·
Registered
612 Posts
I chose Polks with a sensitivity of 92db. There is not enough power at highway speed with the windows lowered. If the moon-roof is tipped up it's OK. Get efficient speakers.
[/QU
You just changed the speakers while maintaining the HU?
yes. why would you want to change the HU?

·
Registered
Subaru XV 2018 HQ4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yes. why would you want to change the HU?
Thank mate for the info.
if from my opinion, only when the HU cant give a person enough functionality then will need to change. Etc customizable EQ, carplay those stuff. For me the simple HU now on my XV is ok just dont know it had enough power to drive the upgraded speaker or not. Will try out and post it in the forum.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts