Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From a Jeep TJ guy in S.Texas, does my new to me 2014 XV Limited have xmode? Or did that feature come in later years? Thanks. First post, and doubtful the last.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Hello and welcome! Yeah, X mode first hit the Fozzies in 14’ then the Aussies in 15’. It came to the XVs in 18’.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Would you experienced sub guys recommend or not buying an extended warranty on a 14 XV with 40k miles? As a tranny for it appears to cost way more than one in my jeep. Thanks. And i just lifted 2 inches, swapped tires and wheels to off road, installed a hitch and plug in bumper, added rails and a basket.Also a rear spoiler. Thinking of going black on hood.Next? Lovin this thing..

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
So the tranny has the same power distribution as the manual? Yep, confused.
I’m not really sure what you mean by that. The tranny doesn’t distribute power, it just converts it. CVT or manual, it’s the same power. But also, X mode isn’t available on a manual. It’s purpose is to control the transmission and brakes; the latter in steep hill conditions under 20kph, the former can’t be done with a manual.

My opinion on the extended warranty is not to buy used cars because you have idea what the previous owner did, or didn’t, do. That doesn’t work for everyone so an extended warranty is personal piece of mind for those you want it.

I’m liking your upgrades. Lol, I haven’t seen a Jeep style hood on an XV yet. I bet it would look pretty good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m not really sure what you mean by that. The tranny doesn’t distribute power, it just converts it. CVT or manual, it’s the same power. But also, X mode isn’t available on a manual. It’s purpose is to control the transmission and brakes; the latter in steep hill conditions under 20kph, the former can’t be done with a manual.

My opinion on the extended warranty is not to buy used cars because you have idea what the previous owner did, or didn’t, do. That doesn’t work for everyone so an extended warranty is personal piece of mind for those you want it.

I’m liking your upgrades. Lol, I haven’t seen a Jeep style hood on an XV yet. I bet it would look pretty good.
Thanks, actually kind of know previous owner. I called saved #s on bluetooth and found him. He is a border agent and very cool about sharing info. i bought the car at a Honda dealer as a trade. Bought as a beach cruiser/occasional driver. After hearing about the crosstrek i wanted one, but should have done more research as i assumed they all had Xmode. Oh well, still really like the car and how it looks and performs. They are kind of hard to find down here. Take care.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Don't worry about the CVT as the warranty is 10 years or 100k miles.These are great cars and any repairs it may need will likely be less than the cost of the warranty.YMMV

As for X mode,all it does,when you are or nearly stuck is turns off traction control and supposedly does a better job of shifting power around to each wheel/s to get the most traction.Just turn off TC before getting into a sticky situation and your non X mode car will do just fine.TC works by applying the brakes to stop the wheels from spinning.If the brakes are applied,the wheels stop spinning.If the wheels stop spinning,you stop moving.X mode also has hill decent assist which doesn't do anything you can't do yourself.It just locks the transmission in 1st gear and rides the brakes for you to control your speed going down hill.I'm sure this car will fulfill your needs and you will be very happy with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't worry about the CVT as the warranty is 10 years or 100k miles.These are great cars and any repairs it may need will likely be less than the cost of the warranty.YMMV

As for X mode,all it does,when you are or nearly stuck is turns off traction control and supposedly does a better job of shifting power around to each wheel/s to get the most traction.Just turn off TC before getting into a sticky situation and your non X mode car will do just fine.TC works by applying the brakes to stop the wheels from spinning.If the brakes are applied,the wheels stop spinning.If the wheels stop spinning,you stop moving.X mode also has hill decent assist which doesn't do anything you can't do yourself.It just locks the transmission in 1st gear and rides the brakes for you to control your speed going down hill.I'm sure this car will fulfill your needs and you will be very happy with it.

Thanks Mario. Been gone. Plasti dipped emblems, grill next. Sweeeeet car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts