Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

Would You Buy The Crosstrek Again?

181 - 200 of 227 Posts

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,931 Posts
You can dial it back a bit, Astro. No need to get defensive...
If what I write ends in a smiley cat face it's an attempt at humour... 😸

Not getting defensive at all - everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect that. When it's a neighbor's son's opinion I begin to wonder...?

Reactions: BobNH

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes, I love it. I had a 2002 Protege 5 for 250k miles (never replaced the clutch and for a while I lived in a very hilly city). Then moved onto three non wagon cars. I am so happy that I am back in a wagon and in a Subaru!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Would I? Yes! Will I? Probably not as I hope that my MY14 takes me through driving retirement. I did just lease a MY21 base MT for my daughter after her '08 Impreza hit the dreaded leaky head gasket stage. For the past 30 years I have driven only Volvos and Subarus primarily because of their safety records and reliability (my wife did have a Forester that was kind of a un-ripened lemon).

My 'Trek is a solid car, has given me absolutely no problems in 49K miles and still looks like a new car. I have done some modifications and am planning on doing a few more now that I own it (I normally lease cars). So I will keep it until it or me wears out (not sure which will happen first).

If someone is looking for a quality crossover with good mileage, excellent safety standards and reliability I don't think you can beat a Crosstrek for the price.

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,962 Posts
Same as last poster, I would, but will be a long time before I am ready to buy a replacement. It is now my secondary vehicle and only used when my wife needs the other car or when we have to drive (fly most of the time) to our cabin which is on a rough road. So am not putting a lot of mileage on my Crosstrek.

I will say, too, it was a great choice and meets all our needs for now. I wasn't sure if it could pull my 3500 lb boat to and from the lake twice a year, but turns out no problem at all. And when I have a full load (pax and luggage) out to our cabin, I sometimes use a rear hitch carrier, complete with waterproof/dustproof cargo bag. Works great.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limted
122 Posts
2021 Ltd.. In the same boat as the last two drivers. My last vehicle was well taken care of and lasted 20 years and a quarter million miles [2001 Jeep Cherokee. Might go another quarter million for the new owner after he sorts out a few issues].
I only do about 5500 miles a year now since retirement so half the Jeep's mileage would get me another 20 years. Pretty sure I don't have that many left..... and I'm certain my driver's license doesn't.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I have a 16 Trek, that I would definitely buy again. I have no complaints, and it has got me through some tough weather safely. It will soon be paid off, and I have about 54k on it. I’m not planning on having a new car payment anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Base CVT Crosstrek
172 Posts
Yes... just discussing with the wife today how good the Crosstrek is. It does everything we need and we are learning to use lots of the 'nice to have' little extras that are available. We have never bought a car brand new before...
Coincidentally, same here. Turns out neither me nor my wife have ever bought a new car before this. We're very excited about it and the possibilities it opens up for us re: camping, weekend biking etc.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I did....... traded my 14 TOP in 17 for a WRX. Moved, needed more ground clearance. Enter the 21 Sport. Traded the 17 WRX for the Sport. Biggest thing about the Crosstrek..... besides the ground clearance, is the gas mileage (over 500 miles to a tank) is doing that on regular gas. Not as fast as the WRX, but better with the 2.5 now....

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Sport, Plasma Yellow Pearl
153 Posts
I am enjoying my Crosstrek, but if I went and did the purchase all over again I would spring for an Outback Onyx XT (or any of the XT variants). Slowly learning that things like cargo capacity and towing capacity (mainly for tongue weight) are much higher on my importance list than I initially thought.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had a leased DK '16 & my sister wanted the car to replace her dying car. She happily took over the lease & immediately, bought it out.
I got a base '15 Forester. Now, a colleague (single mom with 2 kids) is in need of a replacement car at the end of this year & wants to buy mine.
Going back the Crosstrek!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
For the past 30 years I have driven only Volvos and Subarus primarily because of their safety records and reliability (my wife did have a Forester that was kind of a un-ripened lemon).
My sibling bought 3 Foresters back to back and the last 2 were a lemon and an unripened lemon.
My sibling is skeptical but I'm hoping to get at least 20+ years from the XV so probably No because I'll be retired and aren't we all supposed to be passengers in autonomous vehicles by then ?? ;)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Honestly. On the fence about going back to Subaru. WRX STI? Maybe. As it stands, too much stuff just feels cheap. Plastics scratch waay to easy, the armrest is rock hard and the storage is pretty terrible. The lack of LED's is also killing me. Even on the better models they fall short. I also dislike the auto start/stop, eyesight, and lack of ability to chose default options for cruise control. I honestly only bought it because it was my price range, awd, ground clearance was not that bad - and I could lift it properly for a minimal amount to give it enough for Montana winters and back roads. Another factor is trade in value - probably the biggest one aside from how much I could afford.

I do enjoy the CT. I had no idea some of the stuff I was getting into though. Especially with the CVT. I am not a fan at all of it, and I don't want an MT. When I test drove it, I did not notice the things I notice daily now. It's honestly the worst experience with a transmission I've ever had - and I have owned two FORD F150's. Every vehicle has oddities and nothing will be perfect, but it feels like Subaru has A LOT of simple stuff to figure out before I go back. Maybe a different model like the Forrester would suite me better, and that is something I will check next time too. I do like Subaru. I will absolutley avoid all things FORD, Chevy, & GMC. Probably Dodge too, because I can't afford a 2500 cummins ;). Not going to lie here, if I could have afforded to get a RAV4 "adventure" or "TRD offroad", I would have. And that is where I will be starting to check when it's time. I'll always have a special place in my heart for Subaru Rally though. Nobody does it better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I posted on here awhile back and my partners steering rack and pinion repair. I got a letter from Subaru Canada extending the warranty on the affected Impreza, Crosstrek and Forester rack and pinions to 10 years, unlimited mileage. My partner can apply for a refund of the repair she already had done.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
I posted on here awhile back and my partners steering rack and pinion repair. I got a letter from Subaru Canada extending the warranty on the affected Impreza, Crosstrek and Forester rack and pinions to 10 years, unlimited mileage. My partner can apply for a refund of the repair she already had done.
That's great news!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hard to say if I’d buy one again. I’ve owned mine for just over two months and just passed 200 miles today. I have some experience with Subaru’s with the wife having had two Imprezas and me a 2015 WRX. There are a few things I do not like about the new Crosstrek. One of which is the fast idle at startup. I normally like to start a vehicle and drive away slowly. The other thing that really bothers me is the Sport models seat material, while very comfortable it off gases a funky smell, not unlike the smell of bad gasoline. Then there’s the auto start/stop nonsense.

I like the smooth ride from the fat tires and the increased torque over the wife’s Impreza. I still tend to go to my Hyundai Elantra N Line for running around. I plan to put the N Line up for the winter due to front wheel drive with no limited slip diff so I’m sure the Crosstrek will keep me happy once the slippery stuff starts flying.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,931 Posts
We have been very happy with the Crosstrek for almost four years now. However, I wouldn't blindly buy a new one, I would check out the other options.

Reactions: Arthur

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
1,378 Posts
Hi Wriggly. Sadly, two of your gripes are just a symptom of lowering emissions. That fast idle gets the cats working, but you can defeat the auto stop/start, either by not pressing down on the brake all the way when stopped, pressing the button each trip, or buying a defeat.
As for the smell, I've never noticed it but I've only sat in a couple of Sports.

181 - 200 of 227 Posts