Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I am now a proud owner of a 2013 xv 2.0d business sport…

I just cleaned a bit under the hood and came across this unplugged cord as you can see in the picture..

I think all function on my vehicle so I am a bit confused…

Can anyone please shed some light on this???

many thanks,

Hjalmar
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Black Automotive design Automotive air manifold

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I'm still unsure as to what its for, but here's what I do know.

It goes here, if equipped, I guess....

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle
< not my pic.

·
Registered
895 Posts
First post needs a hearty welcome.. Welcome

Reactions: kuroitakushii

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Premium, Sunshine Orange
320 Posts
It is unlikely that the car would have been built with stray wiring. It appears that the two gray connectors in proximity are a matching pair, so they presumably are intended to be connected. That does not necessarily mean that it would be a good idea to connect them on the 8 year old car with unknown electrical history. Even with a wiring diagram it could be rather difficult to figure out what those wires do. I would use a multimeter to check for power to each lead in both plugs with the ignition switch in the off, ACC, and on positions. If there is no power to any lead in any key position it would be safe to assume no purpose would be served by connecting them. But if one or more lead has power in some position, and if I had been unable to determine with certainty what the wires did, I would connect them to see if there was some new function. Before connecting them I would
  • ensure that my insurance was up to date and would cover loss due to fire
  • move the car outdoors and away from flammable objects
  • remove from the car everything I did not want to be lost
  • stand by with a fire extinguisher
  • put on safety glasses

·
Registered
785 Posts
Have you had any recent service work done on the car? The plug locks together so it should not of just fallen apart.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all, I will investigate more today...
The right lights did stop working actually when I messed with them as there is condensation water inside the light, however, I did not unplug this connection but I will measure if there is voltage on any condition also with the light switch in different positions...
Good tip there that the connection clip might be broken or that it just fell apart if a serviceman plugged it improperly...
I was just hoping someone would know the answer straight away..
Many regards,
Hjalmar

·
Registered
Subaru XV 2021 2.0i-S (Aust)
313 Posts
I wonder if is connects up a hidden twin turbo that none of us even knew existed?

No seriously though, can you get access to an OBDII scanner to check if there is a fault code? Pretty cheap on Amazon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wonder if is connects up a hidden twin turbo that none of us even knew existed?

No seriously though, can you get access to an OBDII scanner to check if there is a fault code? Pretty cheap on Amazon.
I have ordered an elm327...will give it a shot asap....:)

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have ordered an elm327...will give it a shot asap....:)
You’ll need an app to read it via Bluetooth. Depends on your device. I use iPhones and iPad and use both Car Scanner Elm OBD2 by Stanislav and Active OBD by Mykhailo. Car Scanner is more extensive with scan options. But Active OBD gives you CVT temp which is good when you are pushing it for keeping an eye on the CVT temp. I don’t know about Android but I think they have use different apps that are specific to Android.

It will only pick up a code on that plug if it is is on the ECU search check list. Also a tip, you may get a fault code on the sun meter or similar name if you do the check indoors so don’t stress on that one. I can’t remember the code number on that one. But ignore it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Problem solved!!!
It was feed for the right side beams...full and half light. I did not reach to measure voltage on the side that was fixed in position but I took a chance as the lights did not work on the right side..
Now we know this!
Many thanks,

Hjalmar

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You’ll need an app to read it via Bluetooth. Depends on your device. I use iPhones and iPad and use both Car Scanner Elm OBD2 by Stanislav and Active OBD by Mykhailo. Car Scanner is more extensive with scan options. But Active OBD gives you CVT temp which is good when you are pushing it for keeping an eye on the CVT temp. I don’t know about Android but I think they have use different apps that are specific to Android.

It will only pick up a code on that plug if it is is on the ECU search check list. Also a tip, you may get a fault code on the sun meter or similar name if you do the check indoors so don’t stress on that one. I can’t remember the code number on that one. But ignore it.
I ordered this one:

In native tounge but I think you can see its a wifi device, I used to borrow a bluetooth elm327 from a friend before but that one was not compatible with ios so I couldnt use it...
I have more hope for this one...

Brgds,

Hjalmar

·
Registered
313 Posts
Problem solved!!!
It was feed for the right side beams...full and half light. I did not reach to measure voltage on the side that was fixed in position but I took a chance as the lights did not work on the right side..
Now we know this!
Many thanks,

Hjalmar
Excellent. Always good to have a scanner anyway. Not just for faults but for temps etc.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Problem solved!!!
It was feed for the right side beams...full and half light.
Awwwww. I saw that connector in the diagrams, but thinking all functions were working, I discounted it and took a shot at an orphaned connector.

A short wire like that can only go so many places; I'm glad you figured it out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awwwww. I saw that connector in the diagrams, but thinking all functions were working, I discounted it and took a shot at an orphaned connector.

A short wire like that can only go so many places; I'm glad you figured it out.
Yes, this connector must have been plugged incorrectly, cause I apparently made it come loose by merely washing the motor...and without me noticing it as well...
My bad...
Thanks anyway!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts