Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Subaru Crosstrek that windows will not open or close when temp outside is above 85 degrees or so. I have to drive the car for about 20-30 minutes before i can operate the windows again , thank you for any assistance.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Are they stuck or do they not even attempt to move? All 4 and what about trying the other door switches? What I mean by stuck, if you left them part way open and not seated into the seal do they move under the same conditions? That would rule out something sticky in the seal holding the window from moving. Did you buy the car new? If not, maybe there were some kind of in channel window visors installed previously with residue left in the channels. Just seems very weird so need more details.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are they stuck or do they not even attempt to move? All 4 and what about trying the other door switches? What I mean by stuck, if you left them part way open and not seated into the seal do they move under the same conditions? That would rule out something sticky in the seal holding the window from moving. Did you buy the car new? If not, maybe there were some kind of in channel window visors installed previously with residue left in the channels. Just seems very weird so need more details.
The switch does not work, no sound as if it is trying to open, the doors lock does not work either. After 30 minutes is so of driving, they works fine. This happens with all the windows

·
Registered
607 Posts
So all the switches in the car and not just the drivers side door switches do not work? Sounds like a power issue. If so, maybe try a new fuse. Possibly the heat causes it to open and when cooled off closes and completes the circuit.

Just grasping at straws as this is a new one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The switch does not work, no sound as if it is trying to open, the doors lock does not work either. After 30 minutes is so of driving, they works fine. This happens with all the windows
So all the switches in the car and not just the drivers side door switches do not work? Sounds like a power issue. If so, maybe try a new fuse. Possibly the heat causes it to open and when cooled off closes and completes the circuit.

Just grasping at straws as this is a new one.
Yea, all windows, the car is black to attract a lot if heat under the hood, if i leave the windows opened and the car is in the sun or is very hot outside, they will not move up untill I drive for a while and the inside under the hood cools off. Do you know which fuse might be? I think you are on the right track

·
Registered
607 Posts
I'd have to look but there are fuses in the dash left side and some under the hood in the box by the battery. Probably in the Owners Manual or on the sticker on the fuse door.

Looking at the '14 OM, there is a Power Window / Radiator Main Fan Relay Fuse in the left dash block. It's 7.5 amp

Fuse #26 7.5A Power window relay / Radiator main fan relay

There is a relay too that you can check. It's under the dash too but in a different block. You could swap with another and see if it then works. I would bet it is either the fuse or relay.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I don't think that a fuse will be temperature sensitive. Most likely a bad connection to something that is common to all the windows. When it's hot it will open up and when it's cools it closes. Finding it is the challenge.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,174 Posts
As I recently found out it's pretty easy to remove the driver's door panel. Helps to have some cheap plastic spatula type tools, but still easy. There are only a few simple electrical connectors and I would consider opening the panel, looking under the driver's master accessory switch and unpluging, spraying with contact cleaner, and firmly plugging in the switch connectors.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I don't think that a fuse will be temperature sensitive. Most likely a bad connection to something that is common to all the windows. When it's hot it will open up and when it's cools it closes. Finding it is the challenge.
That's why I would also look at the relay. Both are easy to check by switching out with a good part. No tearing apart required. I've seen some grumblings about bad window relays on different forums.

I don't think it would be the switch. None of the doors are working so that would be at 7 bad switches which is not very likely.

·
Registered
552 Posts
That's why I would also look at the relay. Both are easy to check by switching out with a good part. No tearing apart required. I've seen some grumblings about bad window relays on different forums.

I don't think it would be the switch. None of the doors are working so that would be at 7 bad switches which is not very likely.
one relay for al the windows?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Doubt it is temps as down here in Floriduh it hardly gets below 85degrees, 😆

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looking at the owner's manual 2016 Crosstrek, fuse #19 inside panel controls power windows and the main motor fan, fuse is good, i replaced it, no change

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No i did not, i was going to ask you where is the relay located? Thank you very much for your assistance

1 - 15 of 15 Posts