Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning to do the first oil change at about 1000 miles. As long as I use the correct specifications in the manual, the warrant will still be good, yes?

Doing it to remove a bunch of tiny, lurking metal particles flowing in the engine oil and filter to prolong the life of the engine.

Also, anyone else read that conventional engine oil is a better oil to use during the break-in period than synthetic? I'm still planning to use 0w-20 full synthetic oil with the SN Plus Resource Conserving spec. Still would like to know you guys' experiences on this matter.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I think changing oil at 1k miles is a waste of money but if it makes you feel better I understand why you're doing it. I changed my oil at 7k miles until 60k-miles and now I change at 10k-mile intervals. I use mobil 1 synthetic and whatever filter my mechanic uses. I have considered switching to 5w-30. maybe when my crosstrek hits 100k miles. i'm at 91k now.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
An oil thread! Woo hoo! =D

I've used 5-30 semi synthetic since about 1200 miles. No issues and the engine runs quieter and smoother.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
7,340 Posts
An oil thread! Woo hoo! =D

I've used 5-30 semi synthetic since about 1200 miles. No issues and the engine runs quieter and smoother.
Yeah, we need an oil sticky to direct these kinds of questions to...

·
Super Moderator
2013 XV Crosstrek, Tangerine Orange
3,436 Posts
Yeah, we need an oil sticky to direct these kinds of questions to...
Heh ... you guys would miss these discussions way too much. ;)

But yeah, the break-in period for a new car today is much less of an issue than it was a generation ago ... I'd say that an early first oil change is definitely not a requirement for a long-lasting engine anymore. Stick with synthetic, though, at a weight that is either at or close to manufacturer's spec.

No need to use Subaru brand products to maintain the warranty, but many folks prefer to use the Subaru brand filter, at least, because it has a different bypass valve spec than many third-party filters.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Heh ... you guys would miss these discussions way too much. ;)

But yeah, the break-in period for a new car today is much less of an issue than it was a generation ago ... I'd say that an early first oil change is definitely not a requirement for a long-lasting engine anymore. Stick with synthetic, though, at a weight that is either at or close to manufacturer's spec.

No need to use Subaru brand products to maintain the warranty, but many folks prefer to use the Subaru brand filter, at least, because it has a different bypass valve spec than many third-party filters.
LOL...

Switching to 0W-20 before the first recommended change at 6K could be worse for the engine than leaving the break-in oil as is and THAT may cause a warranty issue if they found out.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Why 10k intervals after 60k miles? Is the engine now adequately seasoned like a good cast iron skillet?
after warranty I moved to 10k miles. there's no reason to change oil more frequently and you can go longer but I chose 10k because that way I don't need that plastic sticker to remind me when to change oil :p.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium; 2010 LGT stage 2+
87 Posts
And it could void the warranty...
Could you talk about that some more? I'm not sure how changing the oil too soon would be a negative. I thought it's just a waste of time and money at worst.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Manufacturers typically use a break-in oil that's a different spec from the recommended running oil.

If you want to follow the warranty requirements, don't change the oil before 6K.

I'm amazed at how many people post here that they're doing something different because they think they know better or that Eyesight is working OK after their mod, etc. etc.

If the question is about the warranty that the manufacturer is providing then doesn't it make sense to follow the manufacturer's recommendations?

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium; 2010 LGT stage 2+
87 Posts
Thanks.

Since break in is the first 1000 miles, I changed the oil then. I tend to change the oil in my cars more often than is required because I think of it as cheap insurance and oil changes are dirt cheap when you do them yourself. I've never had to worry about a warranty before, and I'm not too worried about this one. That said, if my engine failed before the 3yr/36,000mi was up and they denied a claim due to changing the oil too often I would have a very strong negative reaction.

I think a sticky thread about oil/break in period/oil changes/the best oil and filter would be a fantastic idea. The subject has been beaten to death with all sides fully fleshed out so we might as well collect the threads in a central location.

·
Registered
22 Posts
2018 Crosstrek. I did a 1000 mile oil change followed by a 4000 change. I do them every 5000 now.If you guys did your own oil changes you would be shocked to see how much metal comes out for the first 3 changes.I start out with a spotless pan and use a rare earth magnet after the oil settles a few hours. As far as breakin oil i call BS. They would make you change it earlier than 6000 if that was the case. On to oil filters, the Black filter that came with your car is a good Quality filter made in japan. The Blue filters that we buy from Subaru are made by Fram for Subaru and aren't that great in my opinion.Cut one open and see for yourself alot of cardboard construction. Despite that i am still using them till im out of warranty. If an oil filter related failure occurs and its not Factory Subi your toast. We are at 18000 and no detectable oil consumption.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
2018 Crosstrek. I did a 1000 mile oil change followed by a 4000 change. I do them every 5000 now.If you guys did your own oil changes you would be shocked to see how much metal comes out for the first 3 changes.I start out with a spotless pan and use a rare earth magnet after the oil settles a few hours. As far as breakin oil i call BS. They would make you change it earlier than 6000 if that was the case. On to oil filters, the Black filter that came with your car is a good Quality filter made in japan. The Blue filters that we buy from Subaru are made by Fram for Subaru and aren't that great in my opinion.Cut one open and see for yourself alot of cardboard construction. Despite that i am still using them till im out of warranty. If an oil filter related failure occurs and its not Factory Subi your toast. We are at 18000 and no detectable oil consumption.
How do you explain that Subaru doesn't recommend changing the oil the first time until 6K? I'm sure the dealers would love all of that extra business! 😸

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How do you explain that Subaru doesn't recommend changing the oil the first time until 6K? I'm sure the dealers would love all of that extra business! 😸
You can argue people like simplicity and a simple formula. Usually advertisements in general is simple and to the point with a line or two. If you go into details, people get lost and turn away from the brand even though it's good for them. Dealers would benefits, but overall Subaru brand wouldn't. Just my 2 cents.

As for the warranty, I would use the same oil filter but different brand oil but not tell them I changed it at 1k just to avoid long explanations and a possible voided warranty.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
You can argue people like simplicity and a simple formula. Usually advertisements in general is simple and to the point with a line or two. If you go into details, people get lost and turn away from the brand even though it's good for them. Dealers would benefits, but overall Subaru brand wouldn't. Just my 2 cents.

As for the warranty, I would use the same oil filter but different brand oil but not tell them I changed it at 1k just to avoid long explanations and a possible voided warranty.
Nah, not buying that...

All of the "people" buying new cars are supposed to understand that there's a break-in period. It's in the manual and the dealer should make it clear to new buyers (although I wonder how many actually do). How complicated would it be to tell them to bring the car back after that to change the oil?

I haven't seen any good arguments yet for changing oil at 1K...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well i don't know of any automaker that recommends a first 1000 mile oil change. You want proof, guess you should of checked your oil and you would have had it. Lots of metal ! Seriously, I was a bit shocked on how much stuck to the magnet.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts