Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to get a spare tire carrier to permanently mount to my 2021 crosstrek limited but I wasn't sure if it would interfere with the rear sensors or cause the rear automatic braking to activate. I was looking at this carrier (Subaru Crosstrek (2013-2020) — Rigid Armor) as it seemed like it would stay in between the sensors. From what I read so far I know you can turn of RAB but it seems like this has to be done every time you turn on the car so was hoping someone had experience with this carrier and how it affected the rear sensor.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,347 Posts
I don't have RAB, but I have the rear cross traffic alert and that exact carrier. The rear cross traffic seems to work normally.
There's a few pictures in my build thread if you want.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,931 Posts
I don't have RAB, but I have the rear cross traffic alert and that exact carrier. The rear cross traffic seems to work normally.
This ^

I looked into it for a bike rack and the radar is on the sides, same as for the lane change warnings. It will, of course, obscure your reversing cam. There have been some posts here about mods for that, if it bothers you.

Reactions: TheAsianGuy130

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
874 Posts
When I have my bike rack installed with my bike loaded or the rack in the close position, RAB will disable itself. If it doesn't you just hold down the icon for a few seconds until it turns off.

What I will say is the parking sensors will probably drive you nuts because it's kinda close to it but you can also turn those off as well in the vehicle settings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you know if your car has the rear sensors they look like small bumps on the rear bumper, I'm not sure if RAB and cross traffic alert uses the same sensor. On a side note how do you like the carrier?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I have my bike rack installed with my bike loaded or the rack in the close position, RAB will disable itself. If it doesn't you just hold down the icon for a few seconds until it turns off.

What I will say is the parking sensors will probably drive you nuts because it's kinda close to it but you can also turn those off as well in the vehicle settings.
Oh, I didn't realize it turns itself off automatically. I might be able to put up with that, I was just hoping I could keep RAB functionality with the tire carrier mounted.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
874 Posts
Oh, I didn't realize it turns itself off automatically. I might be able to put up with that, I was just hoping I could keep RAB functionality with the tire carrier mounted.
RAB will not be able to function correctly if an object is too close to the senors. What may end up happening is it'll auto brake by accident which is what you don't want.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,347 Posts
Do you know if your car has the rear sensors they look like small bumps on the rear bumper, I'm not sure if RAB and cross traffic alert uses the same sensor. On a side note how do you like the carrier?
It does not have those sensors on the bumper. It has a couple of what look like radar sensors behind the bumper skin on the corners.
The carrier is fine, especially compared to the price of the competitors. It does have some rattle no matter what I do. Not in the hitch, that wedge thing that they include takes care of that, but in the part that swings down. Even by tightening the U bolt to very tight, it still rattles on speed bumps and off-road driving. For most every day driving it doesn't. I miss having the backup camera and the better visibility thru the rear, but this is the best solution to caring a full size spare that I've seen. I wonder if the swing out carrier would rattle a little more, but I haven't tried it so I'm not sure.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,931 Posts
RAB will not be able to function correctly if an object is too close to the senors. What may end up happening is it'll auto brake by accident which is what you don't want.
Yep, we had the RAB engage on a trail because of a tumbleweed. I thought I had hit something!

• Haha
Reactions: Arthur
1 - 9 of 9 Posts