Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to buy a Crosstrek by the end of the year hopefully which will be my first build, I don't really understand what the purpose of getting smaller wheels than the OEM. Is there a change in performance? I would prefer to keep the stock wheels to save some money unless it actually makes a positive difference to go smaller.

·
Registered
2020 premium on Meths
338 Posts
the reason for a smaller rim diameter is you end up with a taller sidewall tire. a taller sidewall has more “give” (for lack of a better word) so you end up with a softer ride especially on rough terrain, you can air them down more for off-roading, and less likely to damage the rim since there is more rubber between the ground & rim including curb rash these are the 3 main reasons. other reasons include some smaller rim/taller tire set ups are lighter in weight & some smaller rims are stronger than the stockers. depending on what your wanting to do with your Trek a stock size wheel/tire set up is probably fine.

·
Needs a Butch car
2020 Crosstrek Premium
914 Posts
The other thing worth considering if you want tires with larger diameter is that the popular 15" wheel choices stick out farther (more negative offset) to avoid fouling the brake components. This means that you actually have trouble fitting as tall of a tire. There's a guy on here with 29.5" tires on stock wheels with minor rubbing (245/65R17 on 17x8 +38 wheels), while the popular 29" 235/75R15 with 15x7 +15 wheels rubs with a lift.
FWIW, I'm considering 245/65R17 on my stock wheels (17x7 +55) for my next set. My hope is that rubbing would be minimal, while adding 1/2" of ground clearance.
The tires I have right now are 225/65R17 on stock wheels and they're great. I don't think I'd go down to 15" wheels.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
FWIW, I'm considering 245/65R17 on my stock wheels (17x7 +55) for my next set. My hope is that rubbing would be minimal, while adding 1/2" of ground clearance.
The tires I have right now are 225/65R17 on stock wheels and they're great. I don't think I'd go down to 15" wheels.
I chose 235/60/17. They are .4 inches taller than stock and make the speedo correct. I put them on +45 wheels.
I'm super happy.

My last Xtrek had dedicated 15 inch mud terrains for going out and playing. Rocks got caught in the space between the caliper and wheel all the time.

I'd argue that the 1 inch or so you get out of extra height on the sidewall on one of these is pretty much not much to brag about. Air down a little if you want a softer ride. Or take a ride in my Jeep over those same bumps and stop complaining. lol
The KO2 is built for a heavier ride and will stay firm as hell on our lighter cars. It has a thicker sidewall.

That extra bit or side wall will make your around town cornering worse though. The tire will roll more.

Attachments

·
Registered
892 Posts
I'm going to buy a Crosstrek by the end of the year hopefully which will be my first build, I don't really understand what the purpose of getting smaller wheels than the OEM. Is there a change in performance? I would prefer to keep the stock wheels to save some money unless it actually makes a positive difference to go smaller.
I have 16" wheels and "lightweight" AT tires on my 2016 crosstrek. I have retained approximate OEM height, offset and width. the positive difference is more more forgiving off-road.

the negative is: more squirmy on road (does not corner as well). but you do adapt to it.

the negatives combined with AT tires are: poorer gas mileage and noise.

i used my 17" OEM wheels and tires in the same conditions until the tires were worn out and never once bottomed out a tire on or offroad or flatted so i'd say a big reason to reduce wheel size and type is to reduce weight especially if you will be adding heavier tires (ATs). by adding lighter wheels combined with heavier tires i still reduced weight by 2 lbs per corner. the stock wheels are heavy and rolling weight is the most critical to performance!

imo, stock tires and wheels are more than adequate for most people all of the time. so in terms of value and performance you're better off leaving it alone.

i live in the city and at least 99% of my driving is on dry pavement but i do go off road and in the snow, and if/when i buy another crosstrek i will also outfit it with 16" wheels.

·
Needs a Butch car
2020 Crosstrek Premium
914 Posts
imo, stock tires and wheels are more than adequate for most people all of the time. so in terms of value and performance you're better off leaving it alone.
Very true. I do still occasionally wonder if it would make more sense for me to rock some touring highway tires. I mostly drive to and from work after all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have 16" wheels and "lightweight" AT tires on my 2016 crosstrek. I have retained approximate OEM height, offset and width. the positive difference is more more forgiving off-road.

the negative is: more squirmy on road (does not corner as well). but you do adapt to it.

the negatives combined with AT tires are: poorer gas mileage and noise.

i used my 17" OEM wheels and tires in the same conditions until the tires were worn out and never once bottomed out a tire on or offroad or flatted so i'd say a big reason to reduce wheel size and type is to reduce weight especially if you will be adding heavier tires (ATs). by adding lighter wheels combined with heavier tires i still reduced weight by 2 lbs per corner. the stock wheels are heavy and rolling weight is the most critical to performance!

i live in the city and at least 99% of my driving is on dry pavement but i do go off road and in the snow, and if/when i buy another crosstrek i will also outfit it with 16" wheels.
I wouldn't be in a rush to do too many modifications right off the bat due to not wanting to void the warranty, it's important to have information like this to avoid being inefficient with the way I use my money. I would definitely be driving mostly on city roads but intend to go off road as much as possible.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Prem Manual
52 Posts
The question is what are you planning on doing with the Crosstrek? If you plan on "crawling" on really rough trails then go with small wheel/big tire combo. If you will be mostly street with blasts down dirt service roads then stick with stock wheels and throw on some Falken Wildpeak A/Ts. If none of these, get an Impreza.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I wouldn't be in a rush to do too many modifications right off the bat due to not wanting to void the warranty, it's important to have information like this to avoid being inefficient with the way I use my money. I would definitely be driving mostly on city roads but intend to go off road as much as possible.
like I said I wore out the OEM tires and then put another 15k miles on another set before I switched to AT tires and 16" wheels, which DO NOT void any warranty. and that's what I recommend you do. now if you are after "the look" there are other guys who can better advise you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
like I said I wore out the OEM tires and then put another 15k miles on another set before I switched to AT tires and 16" wheels, which DO NOT void any warranty. and that's what I recommend you do. now if you are after "the look" there are other guys who can better advise you.
Yeah that was my plan, no need to throw all my money at it without even thinking about whether or not its a vehicle I plan keeping for the long run. I keep seeing people talk about "the look" and I'm new here so I don't really know what exactly that means but I think I might end up being that guy; I can't say I haven't considered a lift, a couple dozen lights, and a front bumper with a winch. It looks goofy but so cool at the same time lol. I know its definitely overkill for my intentions though.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Yeah that was my plan, no need to throw all my money at it without even thinking about whether or not its a vehicle I plan keeping for the long run. I keep seeing people talk about "the look" and I'm new here so I don't really know what exactly that means but I think I might end up being that guy; I can't say I haven't considered a lift, a couple dozen lights, and a front bumper with a winch. It looks goofy but so cool at the same time lol. I know its definitely overkill for my intentions though.
most roof baskets you see on crosstreks have never been used for anything but to drastically reduce gas mileage but the driver is cool :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
most roof baskets you see on crosstreks have never been used for anything but to drastically reduce gas mileage but the driver is cool :ROFLMAO:
I have 2 kayaks and 2 bikes to carry around so at least I know it won't be completely useless lol. I really want the lift cause I'm a beginner at any off road driving and I'm terrified of destroying the bottom. Skid plates are the first upgrade after new wheels and tires.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have 2 kayaks and 2 bikes to carry around so at least I know it won't be completely useless lol. I really want the lift cause I'm a beginner at any off road driving and I'm terrified of destroying the bottom. Skid plates are the first upgrade after new wheels and tires.
listen, you could buy a jeep and you'd still be eyeing upgrades. it's a guy thing. most guys who trick out their vehicles are even more terrified to drive off road :cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
listen, you could buy a jeep and you'd still be eyeing upgrades. it's a guy thing. most guys who trick out their vehicles are even more terrified to drive off road :cool:

I have an 07 Wrangler right now that I’ve been driving for a year and it’s given me more problems than any other vehicle I’ve had before. I can’t wait to get rid of it 😅

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I have an 07 Wrangler right now that I’ve been driving for a year and it’s given me more problems than any other vehicle I’ve had before. I can’t wait to get rid of it 😅
Who can say how your luck will go? My Jeep and I have had a 9 year relationship. She's been reliable as hell.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have an 07 Wrangler right now that I’ve been driving for a year and it’s given me more problems than any other vehicle I’ve had before. I can’t wait to get rid of it
To be fair, the '07 was the changeover to the larger JK platform and the much maligned 3.8 engine. First year models tend to be more problematic, and that one was a big change.
That said, we just bought my wife a 2021 Crosstrek Sport...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Who can say how your luck will go? My Jeep and I have had a 9 year relationship. She's been reliable as hell.
Yeah thats definitely true but you definitely increase your chances by doing regular maintenance and I have no idea how many owners this Jeep has been through.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To be fair, the '07 was the changeover to the larger JK platform and the much maligned 3.8 engine. First year models tend to be more problematic, and that one was a big change.
That said, we just bought my wife a 2021 Crosstrek Sport...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Oh believe me I know about the 2007 4 doors, every "real" Jeep owner I've come across lets me hear all about it😆. It wasn't my choice, just borrowing it from my dad until I can save up a nice down payment after my truck was totaled in an accident. I had that 04 Silverado for about 5 years and dealt with half the problems and half the expense.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts