Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why Not Primitive Skids? Seems like the obvious choice but am I missing something?

Hi all,

It is time that I put a proper skid plate set up on my car. I removed the factory engine guard about 2 weeks ago because it was collecting sand, sagging, and then would snag and bend back. I shouldn't have any issues installing a skid without the guard right? It would make sense that most skids require the removal of the guard.

My usual offroading is in soft sand so my only skid related concern there is loosing ground clearance (it would be terrible for my beach cred if I start getting high centered with the rest of the JKs ?). It is when I make it to the mountains for trails that I am concerned. I will not be regularly setting the belly of my car down on rocks but I want to be protected for when I am out by myself and things go a little hairy.

Below is my current thought process. Any and all advice and experience you may have to share would be greatly appreciated.
____
Primitive: Current 1st Place
Pros/Optimistic points
  • Low cost (nearly 1/2 of competitor cost)
  • Install to stock mounting points
  • Many apparently satisfied customers
  • Light weight
Cons/Concerns
  • Does significantly lower price reflect quality?
  • Concerns with strength of stock mounting points
  • Can someone speak to ground clearance affects?
____
LP: Current 2nd Place
Pros/Optimistic points
  • Appears to be highest quality
Cons/Concerns
  • High Cost
  • Requires expensive LP bump (I prefer other bumper options out there)
  • Reduces front end ground clearance significantly (I've heard 1.5")
  • High Cost
____
Rallitek: Current 3rd Place
Pros/Optimistic points:
  • Anyone out there have tried these? Haven't found much info on them.
Cons/Concerns:
  • High Cost
Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
2018 Lifted 6-speed Crosstrek
1,761 Posts
Well, I have/had a whole thread about the Primitive skids. I have both the engine and trans covers.

While we wait for the site to figure itself out.. here is the direct link to the install vid:

I have had absolutely ZERO issues with either of them.
-You do remove the factory plastic one. Although I have been thinking about hacking the plastic one up and attaching some of the sides to the Primitive one just to keep out a bit more dirt while off-road (might have a pic laying around of the two comparing).
-No issues with ground clearance. Its at the same height give/take fractions of an inch, as the OEM plastic one.

EDIT:
Link to the original thread I was talking about:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Chicken. Always great advice/input

Found my pic. Just shows that the OEM does cover SLIGHTLY more, mostly in the fender area.

Ive thought about riveting cutouts of the OEM to the Primitive.

View attachment 296754
I like the idea of trimming the plastic guard to bit thought, I am a bit conflicted on this. On one hand it does provide a little more coverage/protection from dirty, dust, debris, and sand. On the other my main issue with the plastic guard was that it did not allow sand to drain/be washed out easily.

Certainly worth a try since I still have the guard laying around. Pretty close to pulling the trigger on some skids. Just now trying to fight the financially irresponsible urge to also order their King Spring lift.. :sneaky:

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Thanks Chicken. Always great advice/input

I like the idea of trimming the plastic guard to bit thought, I am a bit conflicted on this. On one hand it does provide a little more coverage/protection from dirty, dust, debris, and sand. On the other my main issue with the plastic guard was that it did not allow sand to drain/be washed out easily.

Certainly worth a try since I still have the guard laying around. Pretty close to pulling the trigger on some skids. Just now trying to fight the financially irresponsible urge to also order their King Spring lift.. :sneaky:
Totally get that, especially with sand.

For me, its more mud, so it would be a bit harder for the thick stuff to get past.

I would also probably do the "opposite" of what the pic shows. I would probably rivet/bolt the plastic on the top of the skid plate (so it would be between the car and skid). I think that would help a tiny bit of not letting as much debris in as well.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I do think we need a way to reinforce the front mounting points for the primitive skid plates. I’m not the only one that has punched through the thin metal of the radiator core support. My only ideas require permanent modification (welding). But perhaps maybe just a large fender washer between the plate and the core support could work to distribute the load to a wider area? Idk, mines too far gone to try that, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Totally get that, especially with sand.

For me, its more mud, so it would be a bit harder for the thick stuff to get past.

I would also probably do the "opposite" of what the pic shows. I would probably rivet/bolt the plastic on the top of the skid plate (so it would be between the car and skid). I think that would help a tiny bit of not letting as much debris in as well.
Makes total since. If you beat me to to punch make sure to let us know how it works!

I see you don't have the oil cut out. How do you like that? Ever had an issue with damaged/seized bolts when changing oil? I am again grappling with additional protection vs another place for sand to drain.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do think we need a way to reinforce the front mounting points for the primitive skid plates. I’m not the only one that has punched through the thin metal of the radiator core support. My only ideas require permanent modification (welding). But perhaps maybe just a large fender washer between the plate and the core support could work to distribute the load to a wider area? Idk, mines too far gone to try that, haha.

I have heard about this and I am glad I have an opportunity to prevent it from happening. I don't have access to a welder but I do work for a German steel hardware producer. Might see if one of my engineers can come up with a clever fix.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Makes total since. If you beat me to to punch make sure to let us know how it works!

I see you don't have the oil cut out. How do you like that? Ever had an issue with damaged/seized bolts when changing oil? I am again grappling with additional protection vs another place for sand to drain.
Nope no cut out, and have never had an issue with oil change.

2 bolt and 2 nuts to drop the whole skid down.
I personally also installed a Fumoto drain valve with the nipple. Hook a hose up to the valve and the other end into the waste container makes it quick and mess-free.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts

I think you're probably a lot harder on your car off-road compared to majority of us here lol :p

Although Im heading in that direction ;)

MS Paint skillz FTW..

Large plate like img 1

Where if the bottom radiator support is flat, it would distribute weight across the entire bottom.

Or img 2 with just larger spacers welded to the contact points

·
Vendor
61 Posts
We've got one in development that'll solve the radiator mount issues. It's going to take some testing, but we'll release it soon. It will work to protect the front and sides of the engine bay, unlike other ones on the market now. It'll also provide more protection for the mounting points, giving the slider more durability. I'll make a post about it when we've gone into a testing phase.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
We've got one in development that'll solve the radiator mount issues. It's going to take some testing, but we'll release it soon. It will work to protect the front and sides of the engine bay, unlike other ones on the market now. It'll also provide more protection for the mounting points, giving the slider more durability. I'll make a post about it when we've gone into a testing phase.
Engine and trans?

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Crosstrek, CVT
21 Posts
I can't wait to see what you guys come up with. I'm getting closer to purchasing skids for my 2016 Crosstrek, and primitive is the one I would get. I think I'll wait now to see what you guys have. Btw, it was awesome seeing your Crosstrek at Subiefest!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the full armor (all 3 skid plates) from Primitive and I'm very happy with them. I went with the fumoto valve and hole for the oil drain. The reason is because I take my car in for oil changes and I wanted it to be as easy as possible for them to change the oil. If you're going to take your car off-road, it will really give you a lot more confidence.

I also got the 1" king spring lift. This leaves me with 9" of clearance under the front skid plate and 10" under the rear diff protector. I am running Continental Terrain Contacts on the stock wheels.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts