Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced all 4 tires on my 2016 Subaru Crosstrek in February with Goodyear Assuarance All Season 225/55R17 tires. (This is my third set of tires - 93K) Started to notice a lot more road noise about mid-May. My mechanic thought it might be a bearing based on my description. He replaced the front and rear rotors and pads, and the front calipers in May. He said the bearings were fine and wasn't concerned about the road noise. Seems to be even louder now. Still hear it if the car is in neutral and moving. Anyone have any ideas? I'm due for a tire rotation, but wanted to see if anyone had input before I take it in. Thanks!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Is this your first experience owning this Goodyear Assurance model ? If yes, most likely is the tire noise since the mechanic has checked the bearing. Some tires can be very loud once it wears out, one workaround if currently you inflate the tire very hard, is to reduce the tire pressure a bit.

·
Registered
2020 premium on Meths
399 Posts
tire noise only exist on paved roads (asphalt concrete etc) if you can find a smooth level dirt/gravel/grass/clay (whatever you have in your part of the country) go for a drive at speed & see if the noise is still there. if noise goes away it’s one of the tires. then it’s a matter of singling out which one & having it warranted out.

·
Registered
Subaru XV 2021 2.0i-S (Aust)
210 Posts
That seems a very uncontrolled subjective assessment. Over time how do you know? It must be a significant difference to pick it up? Unless you use a decibel meter I think it’s hard to be sure. Rain, road surface, wind, door/window gaps, engine, tires, tread pattern, tire compound, tire pressure, diffs, bearings, CVT or gearbox could all play a part in noise heard in the cabin. And also the human mind playing tricks. Very possible. Also could be sinus issues or ear infection clearing up so hearing gets better and you pick up more sound.

I’m not aware of all season tires because I’m in Aust but tires get harder in cold weather so I assuming noisier when rolling on the road surface. Possibly that too.

Edit: Sorry I’m in the Southern Hemisphere so I was thinking it’s cold. It’s -5C (25F) here tonight. o_O

·
Registered
607 Posts
It's very hard to diagnose something like this over the internet without actually hearing the noise first hand. But based on your mileage and year of car, I'd lean toward a wheel bearing. The rears are known for going bad. There is even a TSB for that issue along with a more recent one for the fronts. They can be somewhat difficult to diagnose. When mine went bad, there really wasn't any unusual play in the hub. When you spin the tire to feel for roughness, unless they are really bad it will be hard to feel since there is an axle attached. So it ends up being diagnosed more by experience and listening to the noise when moving. If it indeed is a bearing going bad, know that they are very robust and are not likely to fail unless you ignore the problem for a long time.

Could also be a tire but maybe not. Hard for anyone on here to say for sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is this your first experience owning this Goodyear Assurance model ? If yes, most likely is the tire noise since the mechanic has checked the bearing. Some tires can be very loud once it wears out, one workaround if currently you inflate the tire very hard, is to reduce the tire pressure a bit.
Yes - first time with this model, which has reviews as being a quiet tire. The tires are only 5 months old, and there is very little wear. The place where I bought them inflated them to the PSI on the tire, not on the door. I reduced it to the door PSI. That did not affect the noise. Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That seems a very uncontrolled subjective assessment. Over time how do you know? It must be a significant difference to pick it up? Unless you use a decibel meter I think it’s hard to be sure. Rain, road surface, wind, door/window gaps, engine, tires, tread pattern, tire compound, tire pressure, diffs, bearings, CVT or gearbox could all play a part in noise heard in the cabin. And also the human mind playing tricks. Very possible. Also could be sinus issues or ear infection clearing up so hearing gets better and you pick up more sound.

I’m not aware of all season tires because I’m in Aust but tires get harder in cold weather so I assuming noisier when rolling on the road surface. Possibly that too.

Edit: Sorry I’m in the Southern Hemisphere so I was thinking it’s cold. It’s -5C (25F) here tonight. o_O
I know this is a very subjective thing - but I've had 2 others drive my car to see if they notice the noise and they both commented they felt it was road/tire noise. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's very hard to diagnose something like this over the internet without actually hearing the noise first hand. But based on your mileage and year of car, I'd lean toward a wheel bearing. The rears are known for going bad. There is even a TSB for that issue along with a more recent one for the fronts. They can be somewhat difficult to diagnose. When mine went bad, there really wasn't any unusual play in the hub. When you spin the tire to feel for roughness, unless they are really bad it will be hard to feel since there is an axle attached. So it ends up being diagnosed more by experience and listening to the noise when moving. If it indeed is a bearing going bad, know that they are very robust and are not likely to fail unless you ignore the problem for a long time.

Could also be a tire but maybe not. Hard for anyone on here to say for sure.
Yeah, I know this is next to impossible to diagnose remotely. I know very little about cars and was hoping someone may have experienced something similar.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Yes - first time with this model, which has reviews as being a quiet tire. The tires are only 5 months old, and there is very little wear. The place where I bought them inflated them to the PSI on the tire, not on the door. I reduced it to the door PSI. That did not affect the noise. Thank you!
If the tire is the one reviewed here on this link, seems quite normal with noise and higher than expected wear Goodyear Assurance All Season Tire Review & Rating - Tire Reviews and More

·
Registered
200 Posts
Rotate them. My experience with Goodyear is rotate 3k. They don't like to wait around for 6k or more.
Another way you can check the tires for wear is drive on pavement, turning etc, then get to a smooth dirt road, go in a slow straight line a bit, stop and look at your tread. If there is light feathering of the tread, you will see it because the dirt won't stick to it. But it has to be a smooth dirt road, sandy surface, etc.
Tire shops that inflate to sidewall pressure should be closed down. Idiots.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have just come from Lexus RX450H. My first one a 2015 had a noise like a worn wheel bearing. It was on Dunlop Tyres. Due to the way certain tyre models wear they apparently create a 'block'effect which give the noise. Changed the tyres and nosie was cured....

·
Registered
426 Posts
Some tires are just louder than others. As far as getting louder over time, it shouldn't super noticeable in a few months unless you have put a lot of miles on them or worn them down that much already.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts