Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am new to the forum but have been reading through some threads for a while.

My 2013 XV (in Australia) is blowing a cloud of white smoke from the exhaust at random start ups, sometimes during the cold start and sometimes after it's been driven earlier in the day. The smoke only lasts for a couple of seconds. I don't see or feel any difference in car performance or reliability. My car is at 135,000km

So of my search suggested that it could be a faulty PCV but I am not sure, has anyone else come across this?

P.S. this has only started happening after the Subaru did a valve spring replacements (under the recall) in October 2019, the first incident happened around Jan 2020 but has since been very irregular, no pattern at all.

Cheers,
XsubV

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,178 Posts
Hey guys,

My 2013 XV (in Australia) is blowing a cloud of white smoke from the exhaust at random start ups, sometimes during the cold start and sometimes after it's been driven earlier in the day. The smoke only lasts for a couple of seconds. I don't see or feel any difference in car performance or reliability. My car is at 135,000km

So of my search suggested that it could be a faulty PCV but I am not sure, has anyone else come across this?

P.S. this has only started happening after the Subaru did a valve spring replacements (under the recall) in October 2019, the first incident happened around Jan 2020 but has since been very irregular, no pattern at all.

Cheers,
XsubV
Welcome! What does the dealer who did the valve spring recall say?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hey guys,

Cheers,
XsubV
If that is the case then possibility is the valve job is not well done. White smoke is oil burning, so how is the oil level on dipstick?

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,210 Posts
A lot of cars often have white smoke on start-up and initial driving. It is due to condensation in the exhaust system. If it persists after the car is warm, then yeah, could be other things like HG. Check your coolant level.

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Premium, Sunshine Orange
212 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AstroKats – the dealer says to bring it in and they will do an analysis. I have my car booked in at an independent Subaru mechanic next week so I will get that done then.

Kr_xv – the oil level is fine, I had to top it up (circa 300ml) after about 12,000km since the last service. It seems to be appropriate for a Subaru engine to eat a little bit of oil (within reason).

Erader, R P & JoeKerr – I found this video on youtube, the guy seems to have the white smoke blowing the whole time, however I am only getting the initial part, between sec 5 and 7 -

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
259 Posts
Hard to say in the video. It depends on outdoor temperature whether I would call this problematic.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I think if you dont need to topup coolant and lot of oil, the smoke is just condensation so should be no problem. This only happen when you start in the cold weather.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
The OP already wrote that this happens both at cold start and later in the day so maybe not condensation, although it's almost winter there. Also, the fact that it began after the valve spring recall indicates it's not just normal engine behavior after a cold start.

Oil burning tends to be bluish grey smoke, so probably not the PCV valve. It may be best to take it back to the dealer that did the work before someone else works on it, otherwise they'll be pointing fingers at each other.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I see a lot of people saying this is “normal” which is incorrect. Yes, during winter cars will blow out some steam when the engine is cold, but it is never for just a few seconds after starting up. You gotta drive the car for a minute before it stops. This won’t ever happen in warm weather either. It also will not happen if the car is warm and you start it. There is definitely something else going on here, and I agree with a few others that you should have the Subaru mechanic check it out first and see what they have to say. Although don’t be surprised if they can’t find anything, because in the mechanic world, it’s really hard to fix something when there is no visible problem. So if it doesn’t do anything out of the ordinary, it’s impossible for them to tell what’s wrong.
Let us know what happens

·
Registered
20 Posts
Porsche 911 being of the same engine config sometimes puffs white/blueish smoke on first start because not all oil drains to the sump. If the oil level is not dropping excessively Which indicates a piston ring(s) failure then congratulations on owning boxer engine cars.

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,210 Posts
When a car cools down in your garage after driving, water will often condense in your exhaust system. Heck, I have often seen actual water dripping out of tail pipes when a car first takes off. Some people mistake this for gas, but it is just water.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys, going in for a service tomorrow so I will ask the mechanic to run a diagnostic to see if anything pops up. It is very strange like I mentioned, no oil or coolant leaks, the performance seems to be the same as before, fuel consumption is the same.
One thing I did notice when I picked up the cat from Subaru after they changed the spring valves is that they top up the engine oil way to high, just above the max level. So perhaps I thought it might have been some oil burning off. I will keep you posted after I speak to the mechanic tomorrow.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Thanks guys, going in for a service tomorrow so I will ask the mechanic to run a diagnostic to see if anything pops up. It is very strange like I mentioned, no oil or coolant leaks, the performance seems to be the same as before, fuel consumption is the same.
One thing I did notice when I picked up the cat from Subaru after they changed the spring valves is that they top up the engine oil way to high, just above the max level. So perhaps I thought it might have been some oil burning off. I will keep you posted after I speak to the mechanic tomorrow.
Seems they often do that due to older Subarus consuming oil.

What kind of cat did you get? 😸

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update- the mechanic run a diagnostic and did a thorough inspection and said everything is fine. He didn't have an answer to the symptoms I have described. He did put in 5w-30 oil, instead of 0w-20, to see if that would eliminate the issue. Let's see what happens.

·
Registered
2018 XV 2.0iS CVT in Dark Blue
288 Posts
Had mine serviced a couple of weeks ago and was interested to see white smoke blow briefly when the mechanics took them out for the test drives after servicing. It was a warm day but inside the workshop was very cold so I assumed it was condensation from the exhausts as @R P suggested. A lead mechanic for Mercedes once told me when owners drove their cars too sedately, the mechanics gave those cars "a spirited test drive to blow the cobwebs out." Some years ago a friend found his car was blowing white smoke and was told the oil had been topped up with different grade/incompatible oil. It went back to normal after a proper drain and change. Be interesting to see if the oil change corrects it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts