Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a 2016 crosstrek. I noticed when I start driving the car when it’s cold I hear a whirring sound coming from under the hood. i only hear it when I accelerate and drive and then it winds down when I took my foot off the gas. I have the Subaru gold extended warranty but I got most of my services at other shops (I live in virginia. I went to Virginia Tire and Auto) so I’m worried that will void my warranty. However the warrenty did just cover two wheel bearings? Once the car is warm it stop. Can someone put my mind at ease,m? I’m worried my transmission is blown and warranty is voided and I am sure part of it is my crippling anxiety. Please be kind. I am really worried.

Link to my Reddit thread with video here.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,134 Posts
Hard to say, it could be your alternator that's whining when cold. The dealership is your best bet when it comes to figuring that out since you're under warranty. It's good you have a video of it so the service advisor or tech can listen to it and might have a better idea of what it is.

The dealer/Subaru can't deny your warranty because you get it serviced at an independent/do it yourself. As long you have all the documents to prove you did the work then you should be fine. I've attached a link regarding warranty laws that you should read so you can be informed. Auto Warranties and Service Contracts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hard to say, it could be your alternator that's whining when cold. The dealership is your best bet when it comes to figuring that out since you're under warranty. It's good you have a video of it so the service advisor or tech can listen to it and might have a better idea of what it is.

The dealer/Subaru can't deny your warranty because you get it serviced at an independent/do it yourself. As long you have all the documents to prove you did the work then you should be fine. I've attached a link regarding warranty laws that you should read so you can be informed. Auto Warranties and Service Contracts
Thank you. I’m almost in tears because I realize the CVT fluid hasn’t been done. I could cry. I can’t afford this right now. We are trying for baby WITH fertility issues and I just need a prayer. I am prayer to god it isn’t the transmission

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
You only got 54k miles on the transmission. Even if it was, it would be covered under warranty. The best thing to do is bring it into a dealership so they can diagnose it and solve the problem. Here in Canada, Subaru recommends you replace the fluid at 100,000km (60k miles) but some dealers in the US say it's lifetime fluid or replaces it at 60k miles. Just be aware it's not lifetime fluid because there's no such thing. I hope everything works out in your favour with you having a baby.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You only got 54k miles on the transmission. Even if it was, it would be covered under warranty. The best thing to do is bring it into a dealership so they can diagnose it and solve the problem. Here in Canada, Subaru recommends you replace the fluid at 100,000km (60k miles) but some dealers in the US say it's lifetime fluid or replaces it at 60k miles. Just be aware it's not lifetime fluid because there's no such thing. I hope everything works out in your favour with you having a baby.
Thank you. It’s easy to overshare in the anonymity of the internet. All our secret struggles come out 🥲. TYSM. I figured not changing the fluid would void the warrant.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Thank you. It’s easy to overshare in the anonymity of the internet. All our secret struggles come out 🥲. TYSM. I figured not changing the fluid would void the warrant.
I mean, SOA doesn't state anywhere to replace it unless you tow but it should be changed because it's not lifetime. If you're gonna get it replaced do it at a dealership because they warranty their work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I mean, SOA doesn't state anywhere to replace it unless you tow but it should be changed because it's not lifetime. If you're gonna get it replaced do it at a dealership because they warranty their work.
But does not changing the fluid void the warranty? I get my car serviced at a local place every 6k miles. Typical stuff like oil and filter changed and air filter tires rotated etc. I have thr extended gold warranty. The only thing I haven’t done really is change the CVT fluid.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
In Canada, it would if you end up having transmission issues and they found out you didn't do the service then you might run into some issues.

SOA doesn't list it on their maintenance plan besides saying if you tow you should change it. Personally, I'd replace it just to be on the safe side of it but others on here would argue that you should follow the manual and leave it alone or you should replace it.

I'd take it into your dealership and show them the video and see what they say.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In Canada, it would if you end up having transmission issues and they found out you didn't do the service then you might run into some issues.

SOA doesn't list it on their maintenance plan besides saying if you tow you should change it. Personally, I'd replace it just to be on the safe side of it but others on here would argue that you should follow the manual and leave it alone or you should replace it.

I'd take it into your dealership and show them the video and see what they say.
That’s what I intend to do. I know they’ll do it at 60k as part of the package. I may just have them do the 60k service early. Praying it isn’t the transmission at 54k!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
That’s what I intend to do. I know they’ll do it at 60k as part of the package. I may just have them do the 60k service early. Praying it isn’t the transmission at 54k!
You could just ask the dealership to perform just the CVT fluid change and nothing else, and get your independent shop to do the other stuff for you. At least you save a little bit of money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You could just ask the dealership to perform just the CVT fluid change and nothing else, and get your independent shop to do the other stuff for you. At least you save a little bit of money.
TYSM for being so kind and patient with me. I know that I know nothing. I’ve told them about the noise and let them know I have an extended warranty. I’ll ask them to change the fluid as well.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
If you took it to one dealership and they blew smoke up your rear end go to another one and see what they say about it. Don't settle for less, and don't give in to that it's "normal" nonsense. Don't worry about not knowing about cars, you learn as you go, and it never hurts to ask for help.

·
Registered
265 Posts
TYSM for being so kind and patient with me. I know that I know nothing. I’ve told them about the noise and let them know I have an extended warranty. I’ll ask them to change the fluid as well.
In addition to your Subaru Gold extended warranty, your CVT is also covered under Subaru's CVT extended warranty of 10 years, 100,000 miles. In the US, no CVT fluid changes are required to maintain this warranty, (In Canada the fluid must be changed at 100,000 km (62,000 mi) or 5 years, whichever comes first, to maintain the warranty).
Here's the TSB about it: MC-10146475-9999.pdf (nhtsa.gov)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In addition to your Subaru Gold extended warranty, your CVT is also covered under Subaru's CVT extended warranty of 10 years, 100,000 miles. In the US, no CVT fluid changes are required to maintain this warranty, (In Canada the fluid must be changed at 100,000 km (62,000 mi) or 5 years, whichever comes first, to maintain the warranty).
Here's the TSB about it: MC-10146475-9999.pdf (nhtsa.gov)
ThTs such a huge relief about the fluid in the US. Do you know where I can find it in writing in case they bamboozle me?

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,753 Posts
ThTs such a huge relief about the fluid in the US. Do you know where I can find it in writing in case they bamboozle me?
Since you have the extended warranty you're doubly covered...

You can find an electronic version of your warranty manual here:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Since you have the extended warranty you're doubly covered...

You can find an electronic version of your warranty manual here:

thank you for easing my anxiety. I was worried not getting my vehicle serviced at 30k with Subaru would void the warranty. I get regular oil changes and 25 point inspections at a local shop. I was sobbing last night about this. I need to take a chill pill.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,753 Posts
Or a cocktail, LOL! What time is it where you are? Mimosa, perhaps? It's holiday season... 😸

·
Registered
17 Posts
2013 XV @ 165,000km.
My car also makes the same subtle 'whiny' noise when cold and upon the initial drive until it warms up. CVT oil changes have been done every 50k religiously and last test drive by the Transmission Shop (who actually do the Subaru CVT rebuilds) said my CVT is in excellent condition and oil always looks new. No vibrations, no bearing noise, nothing.
IMO the CVT just needs a little bit of time to warm up and then it just goes all quiet. I suggest go to a reputable Transmission rebuild shop get them to check out the CVT operation and change both the CVT & Diff(s) oil and be happy! Factor in, every 50,000km change the oil in CVT and Diffs (front & back), 'it's not expensive' and enjoy your car for many years and no stress!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts