Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a new Crosstrek last week and with the cold slowly coming decided that a remote car starter would be a worthwile investment. Dealer sent me 3 options to go with car (that has push button start): Add remote car start option to regular key with range of 80ft, add extra key fob option which increases range to 2000ft or remote car starter with cell phone option.

I definitely want to go with an OEM option given that it’s a new car, so wondering what others got and so far how well it works. Also does the range really go from 80ft to 2000ft just by adding a specific key fob?

Thanks in advance and glad I found this forum lots of good tips here so far.

·
Registered
523 Posts
We have the '15 with push button and factory remote start. The range is actually about 40' or less for us. I know I'm in the minority, but this is our experience:

We bought it to see if we would ever use it. I don't think it's 'a worthwhile investment', but it works. The distance factor does not matter much to me. Running the car to warm it up is not good for the car or the environment. Some of the engine gets warm, the drivetrain stays cold. Condensation builds up in the crankcase.

We also have the block heater that we plug in overnight when it's below zero, or colder than 20 if we feel like it. The block heater is worth it. Toasty heat faster and easy to start. We use the remote start in the summer to crank the AC before getting in sometimes.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The remote start specific fob puts out more power than the standard key fob. So it has a greater range. Actual ranges achieved may vary of course. Personally, I'd go for the cell phone remote start option. I think that it should be a standard part of Starlink.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I would never go with an OEM remote starter but that is just me and my opinion.
with aftermarket you get so much more range and options ,
plus the car doesn't shut off when you open the door like it does with the oem remote starter.
but again just my experience and opinion with remote car starters.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I wanted to add the OEM starter to my premium 2018 because of course, I wanted only the "best" for this car. When I called my local Subaru dealer to set up an appointment, the Service Dept. told me they "outsource" the installation and put in an after-market generic unit d/t cost and the complicated process. The quote was $460, for the out-sourced job. They also said I'd have to give up a key.

I was shocked with this, and ended up getting it done at a local detail operation with a small garage and showroom, that specializes in mod's for electronics, like stereos, blue-tooth, ect. These dudes have a great reputation, and have a Jeep Based customer following, as the Jeepers love their modifications.

So for $310.00, I have have a Compustar? remote, that works great. It has terrific range, and car stays running when I open the door, and I did NOT have to give up a key, which was important to me.

Shop around, it doesn't have to be OEM or Best Buy. There are other choices.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I put in a Compustar Pro 1 and 2 way
( 1 1-way remote and 1 2-way remote) and I love it.
I also programmed it to lock my doors when i
put it into gear and unlock them when i turn
the ignition off a feature i thought the car
should of had from the factory. and the range is phenomenal !
living in the 13 th floor of a building and I can still start my car remotely no problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
On my 2018 Crosstrek Premium CVT with key start I recently got a Compustar 4900S remote start installed by an independent shop in Chicago for $420 total (took 4 hours to install) and it works great. No monthly fee, it works off a Compustar fob, and I didn't have to give up a key. Range is rated at 3000ft (more than a half mile), it works from the 27th floor of a skyscraper to 600ft away where my Crosstrek is parked on the next block on the 12th floor of a concrete parking structure. 2-way comm so the key fob lights up to tell me if the car starts or not. Default timer is 15 minutes till the engine shuts off but can be adjusted. Ignition stays on when I open the door, then I insert the key into the ignition for the key takeover. I passed on the Subaru OEM remote start as the range is much shorter than 3000ft, and did not want the ignition to turn off when opening the door.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts