Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

Registered
I put mine folded facing forward in the natural dip where the instrument cluster hood meets the front of the dash. Stays put due to the dash texture and doesn't seem to affect the eyesight.

Registered
When not using in the case in the drivers door pocket. When using them and get out to leave them in the car then just in the center console cubby.

Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
My opinion is that you are wrong about this and that people should not be following your repeated "advice" about Eyesight. Again just because Eyesight seems to be working, doesn't mean it's fully functional.

Registered
The repeated refrain is always "doesn't seem to affect EyeSight."

How do you know that it doesn't affect it? Do you have access to, say, the testing harness and software that Subaru uses? Have you tried driving 60 mph in a variety of weather conditions towards a variety of barriers/targets to see if the car still emergency brakes for you? Have you done controlled testing to see if the adaptive cruise control still functions on every height/width/color/reflectivity of car you might encounter? Motorcycles, maybe?

No? Then you have no idea whether it affects EyeSight.

Given that it's a basic safety feature of the car, I personally wouldn't do anything that the owner's manual explicitly says to not do. Everyone should do what they want, but you definitely shouldn't go around saying that it doesn't affect EyeSight since there's literally no way you can know that.

Registered

How do you know that it doesn't affect it? Do you have access to, say, the testing harness and software that Subaru uses? Have you tried driving 60 mph in a variety of weather conditions towards a variety of barriers/targets to see if the car still emergency brakes for you? Have you done controlled testing to see if the adaptive cruise control still functions on every height/width/color/reflectivity of car you might encounter? Motorcycles, maybe?

Given that it's a basic safety feature of the car, I personally wouldn't do anything that the owner's manual explicitly says to not do. Everyone should do what they want, but you definitely shouldn't go around saying that it doesn't affect EyeSight since there's literally no way you can know that.
THIS ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^!

Registered

Since we are getting technically it is an ADVANCED safety feature not a BASIC :p

Registered
Isnt that the function of idiot-proof indicator to show something is not working as per design? Engine check light, oil check light, eyesight check light, airbag check light, traction control check light, brake check light?

Registered
I put mine in the cubby under the a/c controls. They can slide some, but they are easy to grab out.

Registered
Isnt that the function of idiot-proof indicator to show something is not working as per design? Engine check light, oil check light, eyesight check light, airbag check light, traction control check light, brake check light?
I don't believe Eyesight is simply on or off, like a bulb going out. From everything I've read about these kinds of stereo camera systems, I understand that they degrade due to various issues such as weather conditions, reflections etc. My advice here is that if you want to be fully protected by the Eyesight system (and protect other road users) don't do anything that Subaru says could compromise it.

Registered
It's basically not possible for a system like that to know exactly how efficiently it is working. There are self-tests that can run, but without a ton of controlled, external inputs, real end-to-end testing is not possible.

For example, imagine if you installed a windshield that changed the refraction of light a little bit. The system can still see, is still processing inputs. No reason to pop the idiot light. Everything is shifted a tiny bit, but the system can't know that what it's seeing is not exactly reality anymore.

These kinds of systems are calibrated against a huge number of external inputs during their design and testing. Then, they go to manufacturing with tolerances like, "this system will identify an object of size greater than 6", within 10' of the front bumper, 97% of the time." When you introduce external variables (like reflections in the windshield), you probably aren't disabling the system, but maybe that number isn't 97% anymore.

Same applies to everything, really. Your brake light doesn't pop on if your pads are glazed and not operating at peak efficiency. Your oil light doesn't come on if your oil is defective and doesn't have the protective viscosity that the engine needs. It's really hard to measure these "functional but not ideal" issues.

Registered
These kinds of systems are calibrated against a huge number of external inputs during their design and testing. Then, they go to manufacturing with tolerances like, "this system will identify an object of size greater than 6", within 10' of the front bumper, 97% of the time." When you introduce external variables (like reflections in the windshield), you probably aren't disabling the system, but maybe that number isn't 97% anymore.
Yep, this comes up all time here and what I've been trying to explain, although not as eloquently as you. I'm a techie and interested in this technology. I went to a Stanford workshop on it recently.

It would be great if someone could post some technical documentation or studies on what affects Eyesight and by how much. Like how much tint does it take before it can't detect a pedestrian in the road at night.

Registered
I place mine in the folds directly between the instrument cluster and the steering wheel. The plastic folds are soft and don't scratch the lenses. They stay in place nicely.
That's a good one!

I was just tinkering with ours and while I was down here I measured the "overhang" shading the upper LCD. Due to the rake of the windshield there is only about an inch of space in front of the display that could not potentially create a reflection or glare on the part of the windshield that the cameras are looking through. Clearly, that cover is to prevent reflections from the display, NOT to store stuff up there.

Registered
That exactly subaru said eyesight is not meant to replace driver, it will fail in certain condition and driver must be ready all the time to take control. So if this fact is not accepted, then there is no point to keep arguing some slight change may or may not add the condition it will fail which at the first place is normal and acceptable. since this is just a driver assist, so why must be bothered with eyesight should have never fail, as long as will not fail too frequently that render it unusable? .馃
Forum reader is smart enough to take or ignore people's opinion, and the reason behind it so why need to oppress freedom of speech if the opinion is not advocating hate, racism, etc. ?
You see this subaru uk video below definitely not all people agree with it but that is the subaru video.
Eyesight

21 - 40 of 60 Posts