Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to hear where you guys hide your tools, flash lights, and other car essentials. Has anyone considered cutting the foam around the spare tire? any other nooks and crannies to fit things in?

I'm planning on buying the following to keep in my car:
FRED Flashing Roadside Emergency Disc - http://amzn.com/B00C8YXH9C
Fix-A-Flat Aerosol Tire Inflator - http://amzn.com/B000BO4WU4
Booster Cables - http://amzn.com/B00F9RNIPI
RediTape Pocket Duct Tape - Amazon.com: RediTape Pocket Duct Tape 2-Pack | 1.88 inches x 5 yards per Flat Pack (Twin Silver): Office Products
Commuter First Aid Kit - Amazon.com: AAA 85 Piece Commuter First Aid Kit: Automotive
Portable Car Jump Starter - http://amzn.com/B00D42AFS8
Digital Tire Gauge - http://amzn.com/B0037V0EW8
FlashLight - http://amzn.com/B0091QBCK6

Would love to hear what tools you prefer to keep in your Crosstreks, and where you stash them.

Post pics of your glove compartments, and other hidden spots!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought the nets for sides of the hatchback area. I have the manual, GPS, tire gauge, and some misc. tools in them. You have a lot of stuff, you might want to buy a small storage box.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I got some similar (if not exactly the same) stuff but here are my suggestions:
Skip the fix-a-flat. They have shelf life limit of 5 years. Instead, I would get
Viair 00073 70P Heavy Duty Portable Compressor
Safety Seal 30 String Pro Tire Repair Kit with Storage Case
BESTEK 12V 24V Battery Clip-on Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Adapter
The compressor serves dual purpose of keeping your tire properly inflated from month to month and keeping a minor flat inflated without patching.
For bigger flat, you use the patch kit to fix it. Fix-a-flat could fail to work. When it does work, it can screw up the balance in your tire, making the tire completely useless once you get to the shop. Patch kit is the standard way of patching a tire and the shop can put in a inner patch for you and you can keep that tire for a much longer time.
You don't have to get the same compressor but remember to get one that can inflate over 60psi if you have a spare. Also, don't use the cigarette lighter connection. You can blow a fuse that way, connect to the car battery using the adapter to save yourself blown fuses.

Not sure what your intentions are with duct tapes but if you want to use it on car parts, consider
Rescue Tape
You need higher temperature range, waterproofing, airproofing, and higher tensile strength to fix the stuff under the car/engine bay. This is not a tape, you wrap it around parts to get the seal. Still keep duct tape around to keep your bumper from falling off or something.

Instead of flashlight, get headlamp instead. They keep your hands free to do whatever you need. Can't really recommend mine since it's cheap and on sale but it works great so far. It might not work so well in summer time because the battery connection heats up.

As for storage, my tire gauge is in the driver side pocket, the jump starter in the glove compartment. Rest of the stuff are in a $1 duffle bag I rescued from yard sale. A duffle bag would allow you to take the whole kit with you if you need to carpool with someone else for a trip or whatever the situation.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have my car stuff in a plastic container with a lid that fastens securely. I use a bungee cord to secure it with the tie-down points behind the back seat.

·
Banned
553 Posts
Another vote on skipping the fix-a-flat and similar garbage. It's a temporary solution at best, and will ruin your tire. Spend $30 on a decent air compressor, I have used this one for years: 12V 100 PSI High Volume Air Compressor , and then spend $10 on a tire plug kit. That way you can instantly fix your tire permanently and not have to replace a $200 tire. This is exactly what tire shops will do to fix your tire anyway. I have been using this system for the 12 years I've been driving, fixing tires probably a dozen times now. Only once have I had a plug start to leak, years after I fixed it. I replaced the plug and problem solved. Just make sure the tire plug kit has tools with a T-handle and not a standard screwdriver handle, so it'll be easier to use.

I will definitely second the Olight S10 flashlight, I have 2 of them and they are amazing

I see no real reason to have first-aid kit in the car unless you really like to travel through the middle of nowhere. You'll likely never use it, it will expire, and all it really has in it are various bandages.

If you are going to buy a jump starter, at least buy a useful one. This one for example:http://www.amazon.com/Jump-N-Carry-...9027&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=battery+jumstarter . Costco sells a pretty good one too, and they have decent cheaper options on Amazon as well. Point is, get one that runs off a battery that's similar to the one in your car, rather than your cell phone.

·
Premium Member
8,374 Posts
Do you need two flashlights? The portable car jumper that you have already has a flashlight.

Or how about loosing the booster cables as well since you already have that portable car jumper. You might have to set a regular reminder to top off the car jumper however (you can use daylight savings as a reminder).

I would however add a knife of some sort (maybe a good Swiss Army knife) as well as some sort of blanket/rain shield like one of those foil emergency blankets or two.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I too have my car stuff in a plastic container with a lid that fastens securely. Bought it at walmart for 5.99 and it's black that matches well with the black cargo tray, black rear seat protectors. I put soft rubber feet on mine that I bought from walmart and it stays stationary in my cargo area.

Mine has the following:

Harbor Freight pittsburgh metric socket set and metric open end/ box end wrenches. Harbor freight pliers, needle-noses, screwdrivers, channel locks, etc. all in a harbor freight cheap yellow/black tool bag, 1 quart of 0w-20 full synthetic oil, an old bedsheet to cover my seat in case i am dirty.

Im glad this came up because i do need to put my other 12 vdc air compressor, jumper cables, some duct tape, and my old red triangle in the box. The box is too small to hold my gallon of supercoolant. I may get a old empty motor oil container, totally clean it multiple times and then put some supercoolant in it.

I have one of those free Harbor Freight LED flashlights (in red) in the glovebox

·
Registered
78 Posts
Helmet bag in the back--first aid kit, GPS, gloves, towel, pro tire gauge, small sealed package of wet wipes.

·
Registered
89 Posts
When I go fishing, my trunk area is full and I need to fold the rear seats to hold all the equipment and storage. So I went with a seat cover with pouches to hold emergency gear and tools. Also get some side cargo nets.

20151226_135059.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts