Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I own a 2018 Crosstrek in Florida. All of my driving is done in flat nicely done asphalt.. and yesterday at 26k miles I had to replace my rear wheel bearing.
Has anyone heard of any issues with this? At this point (mileage) and with the Crosstrek?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Rear wheel bearing hubs failures are common with the previous generation XV Crosstrek. You are the first to report one on an 18+ platform. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
1,864 Posts
Rear wheel bearing hubs failures are common with the previous generation XV Crosstrek. You are the first to report one on an 18+ platform. Thanks for the info.
Can you define what you mean by common? What percentage (approximately) have that problem in the first 100K miles?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hello, I own a 2018 Crosstrek in Florida. All of my driving is done in flat nicely done asphalt.. and yesterday at 26k miles I had to replace my rear wheel bearing.
Has anyone heard of any issues with this? At this point (mileage) and with the Crosstrek?
120,000 miles on my 2015....no wheel bearing problems. Replaced tires, brakes and spark plugs only. (glad I don't believe in jinxes).

...and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wondering if any else has had the same experience. I drive a 2014 , It had 14,000 on it as a demo now has 140,000. Everything was fine until last April where I had a wheel bearing replaced, millage 105,000 km. It was during the second wheel bearing replacement a couple of months later that the dealer informed me the transmission would need to be replaced. After the transmission was replaced , about 2 weeks later I started to hear the same whirring sound I heard, when the transmission needed to be replaced. Turns out both the rear hubs need to be replaced. 140,00 KM
Is this a common thing with older Crossterk's.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Huh, well, one month after my post here....I had my driver's side rear wheel bearing replaced....still at about 120,000. BTW upon purchase back in 2015, the dealer, Patriot in Saco ME, offered a lifetime warranty. Well I'll be darned if that warranty didn't cover the entire cost of replacement. Cool , eh?

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,375 Posts
I just noticed that the OP only has one post, about wheel bearings, last October. If it really was an '18 it could only have been a couple of months old, so 26K miles seems unlikely (unless it's Wolverine, LOL). Has anyone had a problem with the new gen?

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
I just noticed that the OP only has one post, about wheel bearings, last October. If it really was an '18 it could only have been a couple of months old, so 26K miles seems unlikely (unless it's Wolverine, LOL). Has anyone had a problem with the new gen?
I wouldn't worry that much about it. I expect that some parts will fail within the warranty period - even when the car is in the 'can you smell that new car smell' phase of life. I would be more concerned if after this replacement, we hear that the other side needs to be replaced as well.

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
Just wondering if any else has had the same experience. I drive a 2014 , It had 14,000 on it as a demo now has 140,000. Everything was fine until last April where I had a wheel bearing replaced, millage 105,000 km. It was during the second wheel bearing replacement a couple of months later that the dealer informed me the transmission would need to be replaced. After the transmission was replaced , about 2 weeks later I started to hear the same whirring sound I heard, when the transmission needed to be replaced. Turns out both the rear hubs need to be replaced. 140,00 KM
Is this a common thing with older Crossterk's.
Welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't say common... but wheel bearing replacements do happen but not common. Large numbers of the previous generation Crosstreks are now going into six figures as far as the ODO is concerned (regardless of whether that's Km or miles) and I don't remember seeing a large number of mechanical issues other than the occasional one.

Is it more frequent as the car gets older? Yes, but what repair gets less frequent at the end of the day.

I would actually be more concerned about the transmission replacement that happened to you. Can you share some details?

·
Registered
538 Posts
I took delivery of my '16 on Oct 2,2015.Therefore,he may have had as much as a whole year to put that many miles on it.However,26k miles is very early to be having wheel bearing issues.

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
I took delivery of my '16 on Oct 2,2015.Therefore,he may have had as much as a whole year to put that many miles on it.However,26k miles is very early to be having wheel bearing issues.
In your experience, what would consider an OKAY about of miles before wheel bearings troubles emerges?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2019 is 8 months old, 16K miles and needs new rear wheel bearings. This is my second new Crosstrek in 2 years. Our 2017 was traded in when the dealer couldn't resolve the issues with it - constant coolant smell, knocking in front end and finally we could not shift out of park. My 2019 is in the shop now for bearings and radio issues. Radio stops working randomly. Of course the dealer wouldn't address this until I could get it on video. As I drive alone it took me weeks to do this. Before that it was in the shop for a rattling sound in the front passenger side upon acceleration. Dealer could not replicate. The loaner I'm driving - an Outback with 9 miles on it - has a clunking sound in the front end. Honestly, I'm so done with Subaru I just turned up the radio. Never again...

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
My 2019 is 8 months old, 16K miles and needs new rear wheel bearings. This is my second new Crosstrek in 2 years. Our 2017 was traded in when the dealer couldn't resolve the issues with it - constant coolant smell, knocking in front end and finally we could not shift out of park. My 2019 is in the shop now for bearings and radio issues. Radio stops working randomly. Of course the dealer wouldn't address this until I could get it on video. As I drive alone it took me weeks to do this. Before that it was in the shop for a rattling sound in the front passenger side upon acceleration. Dealer could not replicate. The loaner I'm driving - an Outback with 9 miles on it - has a clunking sound in the front end. Honestly, I'm so done with Subaru I just turned up the radio. Never again...
Darn that's a tough run for you. Hope things work out for you. I'm not very confident that the vast majority of owner here will feel a diminished sense of joy and pride for the Crosstreks.:storm:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 Subaru CrossTrek and have had several problems. At 35,000 I replaced the rear wheel bearing. Around 50,000 I replaced the other rear bearing. My car is loud in the driver's side front now at 65,000 miles so I have a feeling that is another one. I have owned a Subaru before and never experienced the maintenance as I have with this one. My car initially had issues with the oil consumption which was a class action lawsuit which l didn't join in on because when I took it in, the gasket they used fixed the problem. I know two other people who own CrossTreks and the one has replaced 3 bearings and the other replaced 3 bearings before finally trading the car in. I would say Subaru CrossTrek has wheel bearing issues although they don't like to admit it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have a 2014 Subaru CrossTrek and have had several problems.

My car initially had issues with the oil consumption which was a class action lawsuit which l didn't join in on because when I took it in, the gasket they used fixed the problem.
The MY 2014 Crosstrek wasn't included in the class action suit. What gasket are you referring to? Asking due to oil consumption on mine as well.

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
175 Posts
Any relationship between wheel bearing failures and non OEM rims/tires? On common off road rims the rolling diameter is usually kept nearly the same to allow speedo accuracy but is the offset the same? Used to be that wrong offset was brutal on wheel bearings.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Any relationship between wheel bearing failures and non OEM rims/tires? On common off road rims the rolling diameter is usually kept nearly the same to allow speedo accuracy but is the offset the same? Used to be that wrong offset was brutal on wheel bearings.
I wondered about this when I got steel rims for my snow tires and made sure I got 48 mm offset rims. I'm at 230,000 miles now - replaced first bearing at 170,000 miles and replaced the other three and the propeller shaft at 200,000 miles. That's consistent with other vehicles I've owned - bearing start to go around 200,000 miles for me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts