Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else had multiple wheel bearings failures on their older XV Crosstrek? My intention was to have a 60,000 mile servicing, although the accumulated mileage was only 52,000 miles, accomplished on my 2014 XV Crosstrek along with an investigation of increasing, unusual road noise. The service agent told me that my road noise issue was a familiar one; which many customers, like myself, had said sounded like a faulty tire issue; however, it was always a wheel bearing issue. She said it was a frequent maintenance problem in older Subaru's, that required replacement of wheel bearings even when the vehicle had low driven mileage. My vehicle had never been notified of a problem requiring maintenance, nor was it recalled prior to exceeding the warranty mileage limit and period. The problem had been resolved by a redesign of the wheel bearing lubrication distribution and was no longer a problem in recent production models. She was right in her diagnosis of the wheel bearing failure, and two rear and one front wheel bearings had to be replaced. The fourth bearing was said to be without unusual sounds of failure, when that wheel was rotated with the vehicle on a lift.

My XV Crosstrek has carried me along many mountain roads, across deserts and through other rough locations with comfort and dependability. I now have a problem with my confidence in continuing to use it off-road. I call it the fourth wheel bearing syndrome. When will the fourth bearing fail? At a remote location where I can't get replacement maintenance accomplished and will I be stranded?

I was never notified of premature wheel bearing problems with my 2014 XV Crosstrek and secondly why did the service agent fail to recommend changing the fourth wheel bearing when it had a known design problem? I wish I had made the decision myself, but frankly the very high cost of 60,000 mile servicing and major maintenance for multiple wheel bearing failures distracted me from realizing that I was being left with a very probable failure while on the road. Anyway the servicing was completed and the bearings replaced in a very timely fashion. I have since been satisfied with the driving performance of my XV Crosstrek. Hope the fourth wheel bearing syndrome doesn't leave me stranded.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I had to replace the driver side rear bearing on my 2018 with only 27K miles. A service tech at the dealer told me that this was not unusual.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
710 Posts
From reports on this forum it was a common problem with early year Crosstreks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just had to replace my 2015 rear bearings at 63,000 miles. I thought I had a balance issue with my old (original) tires, which really needed to be replaced before winter. To save some money, I ordered tires from tire rack and had them sent to my trusted mechanic to install. So, it was not a cheap visit to the mechanic after all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My wife's 2014 with 60k needs new rear bearings; up until now there has been little expense with this car, other than normal maintenance. Sorry to hear about others, but I'm glad it's not just me!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had to replace the driver side rear bearing on my 2018 with only 27K miles. A service tech at the dealer told me that this was not unusual.
That's a pile of horseshit.
I've NEVER had to replace a bearing, ANY bearing, at 27K.

Oh, I just had to replace my wife's 2013 Xtrek one rear bearing at 60K.
I've never had to do that in my life either.
Set me back $600; there should be a recall on this item, and I'm VERY hesitant to buy another Subaru as a result.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It stinks but I would not worry about being stranded by a wheel bearing. They fail slow and sound an annoyingly noisy alarm when they are failing. When you start hearing annoying amounts of road noise or humming, jack the car up and check the wheels for play and rough rotation. Detect any, then replace the bearing.

@TMACK I agree it's a premature failure, but if your mechanic charged you $600 to replace a single bearing I suggest finding another mechanic.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I gather the wheel bearings are sealed in both early and 18+. My questions: Is the seal on the bearings rubber/plastic or metal? With the number of failures even post '18, would it be worthwhile to disassemble and repack the bearings and apply grease to the housing for future disassembly? Can you even get at the bearings in their housing?

artosa

·
Registered
76 Posts
That's a pile of horseshit.
I've NEVER had to replace a bearing, ANY bearing, at 27K.

Oh, I just had to replace my wife's 2013 Xtrek one rear bearing at 60K.
I've never had to do that in my life either.
Set me back $600; there should be a recall on this item, and I'm VERY hesitant to buy another Subaru as a result.
Its horsehit why? because someone had a different experience to you? your anectdote must be global truth? wow

·
Registered
123 Posts
I gather the wheel bearings are sealed in both early and 18+. My questions: Is the seal on the bearings rubber/plastic or metal? With the number of failures even post '18, would it be worthwhile to disassemble and repack the bearings and apply grease to the housing for future disassembly? Can you even get at the bearings in their housing?

artosa
The seal is FKM rubber with a metal spring and metal insert. I work specifically on sealing systems and those seals are pretty tough stuff.

In my opinion It's likely something in the core design of the hub assembly itself that makes it prone to failure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts