Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2014 X Trek with 60k miles needs new rear wheel bearings......is this a Subaru 'trademark'? I've had cars go 100k+ with no bearing issues.
My neighbor had the same issue with his Outback.
Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Brother has a 2013 first year with no issues....Mine with 37k has no issues
Good luck.

·
Registered
638 Posts
My wife's 2014 X Trek with 60k miles needs new rear wheel bearings......is this a Subaru 'trademark'? I've had cars go 100k+ with no bearing issues.
I've never had to replace a wheel bearing in any vehicle I've owned, and that includes my 2016 crosstrek which has almost 89k miles on it. but it is an issue with crosstreks which seems to use cheap parts from time to time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yup at 76,000 miles. 2016 Crosstrek

·
Registered
12 Posts
pretty normal for the rears on the early treks. Mine was about the same, 2014 went out last year at just over 60K. The really painful part is how expensive the bearings/assembly is on these and how hard the old ones are to get out. Frankly, I'm glad mine went out at 60K because if it had lasted to 100K I never would have been able to get the old one out due to the rust welding. Despite this obvious flaw, I am still loving my trek...even if I have to replace rear bearings every 60K or so. At next failure Im gonna see if moog has an aftermarket out instead of replacing with OEM.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OUCH! Picked it up from dealer today, both rear bearings needed replacement. Looking for a 2nd mortgage.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yep, I just replaced my rear bearings in November at 63k miles. I took it to my independent mechanic to install my new tires. I had felt a wobble in a back tire but figured it was just a need for balancing due to the tires being old. I was just going to wait while the tires were put on, but he called me to come see how the wheel had a sticky point while turning, and said "you need new bearings. This is not safe to drive. Leave it here and I'll drive you home". I was surprised, since I'd had a few vehicles to over 100k miles and never heard of bearings going bad. He said "well, you bought a Subaru" then went on to tell me of a few other bearing replacements he's done (his specialty is Acura NSXs, but he'll work on anything). I trust him, but he always seems to find more issues that need work. Instead of just the cost of mounting my TireRack tires, I left with a $1200 bill for the tires, bearings, brakes and rotors :oops:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts