Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EDC= Every Day Carry item/s.

We all have our active and adventureful Subaru lifestyles, so I am sure a lot of us carry items to make life easier on a daily basis. There are many EDC items including knives, flashlights, bottle openers, and multi-tools to name a few popular items.

I carry an EDC pocket knife. l rotate between a Ruike P105, Sanrenmu 9001, Spyderco Paramilitary 2, or a Kubey KU150 I like the excellent value that many of the Ruike and Kubey knives offer: i.e. G-10 scales, roller bearings, D2 or Sandvik steel blades all for $30 - $50.

I also EDC a Fenix PD36R flashlight, or WOWTAC BSS V3. Both of these lights are super bright on their high or turbo settings, have strobe modes for self-defense, are small enough to EDC, and are solid values.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,839 Posts
Stanley Powerstations in each car...

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,373 Posts
Tire plug kit, compressor and tow rope (when we go off road), tire gauge, door step with glass breaker tip, sun shade, couple maps, reading glasses, seat cover towel, small LED flashlight, umbrellas (live on the wet coast), cargo straps, boost cables, USB cables, couple water bottles, grocery bags.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Too much!

The 20' jump leads, you can still reach the battery on the dead car when it's parked nose in. Mostly pay it forward, but I had to go jump our forester once.

Two 32oz growlers filled with water. Handy for typing of everyone's water bottles at a group hike, going a full weekend, or grabbing a fill at a local brewery.

Hiking boots and socks.

Coats of various thicknesses. Bay area microclimates, it can be 100+ in San Jose and 50 in Half Moon Bay at noon.

DSLR and tripod. Really, I had a terrible commute, you should see the results of my evening adventures (if only I could upload photos from my PC).

Full size spare, wheel race, donut (I've got no where else to stick it, and it supports the deck.

Flares, because the triangles I had didn't fit.

Grocery bags.

Compressor, for when I air down.

Ropes for roof rack

Bungees because...

Charging cable for iPhone, usb micro b and type C.

Overnight bag, it's nice to have a clean dry shirt after a hike, and a toothbrush in case you stay for one to many shots at a friend's place, or you pull an all nighter at work.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
331 Posts
Too much!

The 20' jump leads, you can still reach the battery on the dead car when it's parked nose in. Mostly pay it forward, but I had to go jump our forester once.

Two 32oz growlers filled with water. Handy for typing of everyone's water bottles at a group hike, going a full weekend, or grabbing a fill at a local brewery.

Hiking boots and socks.

Coats of various thicknesses. Bay area microclimates, it can be 100+ in San Jose and 50 in Half Moon Bay at noon.

DSLR and tripod. Really, I had a terrible commute, you should see the results of my evening adventures (if only I could upload photos from my PC).

Full size spare, wheel race, donut (I've got no where else to stick it, and it supports the deck.

Grocery bags.

Ropes for roof rack

Bungees because...

Overnight bag, it's nice to have a clean dry shirt after a hike, and a toothbrush in case you stay for one to many shots at a friend's place, or you pull an all nighter at work.

Flashlight.
Swiss army.
Knife.
Coin purse for old style meters.
State parks pass.
IAP (inter agency pass for BLM/Natl Pks)
Fastrak transponder (toll collection)
Blanket
Towel.
Cache of cash and prepaid debit card for lost/forgotten wallet scenarios).
Insurance and registration.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Cache of cash and prepaid debit card for lost/forgotten wallet scenarios).
That's an interesting one. Could have used that a couple times (in my distant past). Where did you hide that, if you don't mind sharing.

·
Registered
331 Posts
That's an interesting one. Could have used that a couple times (in my distant past). Where did you hide that, if you don't mind sharing.
Haven't actually hidden it. It's just tucked away. Basically by the time anyone's silken the car or broken in, smashing a window, the loss of cash is "in the noise". It's a meal and a tank of gas. The card is bound to a lesser used account, and easily stopped by phone app if lost or stolen.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Cables, tire plug kit, fire starter, tow rope, magnet on a collapsing rod, ball chain, small compressor, mittens, toque, army rain coat, hi and low pressure tyre air gauges, small road hazard kit and first aid box, 2 rolls of 50ft braided rope, high vis jacket, collapsible walking cane, 10ft 12VDC extension, rope chain saw, plug in style amber flashing light and apparently my long lost chainsaw safety sunglasses. Technically, my kayak shoes and gloves also live in it on a full time basis and I stuff in a compass and binoculars from time to time. All in that bag.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Cables, tire plug kit, fire starter, tow rope, magnet on a collapsing rod, ball chain, small compressor, mittens, toque, army rain coat, hi and low pressure tyre air gauges, small road hazard kit and first aid box, 2 rolls of 50ft braided rope, high vis jacket, collapsible walking cane, 10ft 12VDC extension, rope chain saw, plug in style amber flashing light and apparently my long lost chainsaw safety sunglasses. Technically, my kayak shoes and gloves also live in it on a full time basis and I jamb a compass and binoculars from time to time. All in that bag.

View attachment 297305

·
Registered
257 Posts
M&P shield 9mm.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Lifted 6-speed Crosstrek
1,711 Posts
My current knife is a Boker Plus Strike with tanto blade
M&P shield 9mm.
Do you have a box or something to lock it up?

Ive got the same, and taking my CCW training course this weekend. Personal interview with the Sheriff in a month.

I want something like a lock box that I can slide under my front seat so I can carry, but leave it when necessary.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
My current knife is a Boker Plus Strike with tanto blade

Do you have a box or something to lock it up?

Ive got the same, and taking my CCW training course this weekend. Personal interview with the Sheriff in a month.

I want something like a lock box that I can slide under my front seat so I can carry, but leave it when necessary.
Just curious, is this for sport (target practice, hunting, etc) or for protection?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Just curious, is this for sport (target practice, hunting, etc) or for protection?
Protection first, target practice second.

Wife and I hike a lot and camp, sometimes with the dogs, and never know when a bear/mountain lion/human might start some trouble.

S&W Shield is near the top choice for conceal carry.

I would rather have and not need than the other way around.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Protection first, target practice second.

Wife and I hike a lot and camp, sometimes with the dogs, and never know when a bear/mountain lion/human might start some trouble.

S&W Shield is near the top choice for conceal carry.

I would rather have and not need than the other way around.
First, just to be clear, I am not judging or offering any opinion here. But I am from Canada, which has quite different gun laws. When I was a kid, growing up in rural Manitoba, we had guns for target shooting and hunting, but protection was never a thought (we didn't even have locks on our doors at that time). However, don't own a gun now, but do spend some time (hiking and camping) in remote wilderness locations (floatplane access only) where grizzlies are common. So it has been on my mind whether to buy a rifle (but I won't). Some of my floatplane pilot friends do carry rifles (don't think a hand gun would do much to a grizzly). But we do always carry bear spray, just in case. So far have never had a bear incident, but know others that have.

Anyway, like I said, just curious, and want to understand.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
First, just to be clear, I am not judging or offering any opinion here. But I am from Canada, which has quite different gun laws. When I was a kid, growing up in rural Manitoba, we had guns for target shooting and hunting, but protection was never a thought (we didn't even have locks on our doors at that time). However, don't own a gun now, but do spend some time (hiking and camping) in remote wilderness locations (floatplane access only) where grizzlies are common. So it has been on my mind whether to buy a rifle (but I won't). Some of my floatplane pilot friends do carry rifles (don't think a hand gun would do much to a grizzly). But we do always carry bear spray, just in case. So far have never had a bear incident, but know others that have.

Anyway, like I said, just curious, and want to understand.
Yup no problem!

At our cabin just outside Tahoe area, there have been an increasing amount of black bear sightings around the neighborhood.

Last thing I want to do is let the dogs out late at night to go to the bathroom before bed and have an issue with a bear. I think I would fire a round or two into the ground to scare it off before anything.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,839 Posts
Yeah, I also carry jump leads as a backup in case the Stanley Power stations have been discharged.

I didn't list everything and most of it has been covered here. I like to carry some nitrile gloves and tub o towels in case I need to change a tire or whatever. Also a walkie-talkie for emergencies but it's also entertaining on long road trips, listening to the truckers (don't try this with kids in the car, LOL).

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Yeah, when off-road I also carry a radio. We have logging trucks on our FSR on our way to the cabin, and they don't get out of the way when passing.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Getting a lot of great ideas here.

As far as EDC in my Crosstrek; I carry an air compressor, an axe, couple of towels, grocery bags, and additional flashlights and batteries. After reading on here, I will be expanding my vehicles EDC list.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Too much!

Hiking boots and socks.

Grocery bags.

Ropes for roof rack

Bungees because...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts