Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

whats your average MPG?

78K views 276 replies 148 participants last post by  subarik 
#1 ·
After owning our Crosstrek for just over two months, I just learned how to change the display to indicate the average MPG. So far the MPG shows anywhere from 19-24 average MPG. Which is kind of a dissapointment, since this care is supposed to average 25/33 mpg. I'm curious, what is everyone elses average MPG?

#273 ·
I am resetting MPG AVG every time I fill up the gas, and so far the lowest was 24MPG, the highest 32MPG, I am getting around 27MPG most of the time even in city/highway mixed daily ride. Sudden acceleration brings down avg, so running it smoothly is the key. Paying attention to center MPG +- meter really helps. Good luck! Sent from AutoGuide.com App
What do I check for exactly?

#3 ·
I have done 6,600 km, and converting my litres per 100 km to MPG (US Gallons), I have consistently achieved 33 MPG. I haves CVT and driving is 50/50 urban/highway. I do a calculation each time I fill up and it is always pretty close to the onboard gauge.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#5 ·
I just crossed 1000 miles and am averaging about 22-24 MPG, with most in the city. I have the 5 speed manual, and also note I put a roof rack on since Day One. Have only had ski/snowboard holders on the crossbars, but I've heard the roof rack could subtract 5 MPG. Not sure if that's with a roof box or just the crossbars, though.

I will say it seems like my MPG is getting a bit better, though I'm also disappointed with the averages so far. I'll also add that I haven't done the math at the pump with total miles and how many gallons I fill up on, so haven't verified how accurate my MPG gauge is. Plan on doing that next fill-up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#12 ·
I just crossed 1000 miles and am averaging about 22-24 MPG, with most in the city. I have the 5 speed manual, and also note I put a roof rack on since Day One. Have only had ski/snowboard holders on the crossbars, but I've heard the roof rack could subtract 5 MPG. Not sure if that's with a roof box or just the crossbars, though.

I will say it seems like my MPG is getting a bit better, though I'm also disappointed with the averages so far. I'll also add that I haven't done the math at the pump with total miles and how many gallons I fill up on, so haven't verified how accurate my MPG gauge is. Plan on doing that next fill-up.
When I have my double ski rack up there, even empty, it sucks about 2 mpg and I do a lot of highway driving. The Thule ski box is really bad, about 4-5mpg and it makes the car a handful to drive.

My car has been saying ive been averaging anywhere from 26-28 on a tank but when i calculate it the old fashion way, its closer to 24.5-26.5mpg. Im at 3,600 miles. Hoping it gets better. Im also trying to not speed on the highway, but its just so easy to in this thing!
Yup that gauge is pretty terrible. This car really seems to be happiest for mpg between 55-65 with the sweet spot (on the flats) right around 62 (100k for the rest of the world.) On my commute I can get 32-33 with a fair amount of drafting at 70-75 but then I hit NYC and poof**

My overall average for 7000 miles is 27.4. As far as total miles go I'd say it's about 80% at highway speeds and 20 urban/suburban. Everybody wonders why they have the avg speed readout on the pod, mine is 28. On my best mpg tanks or partial tankfulls it's around 60. At that speed I get 34-35 so duh, my daily routine is far from optimal for best efficiency. Where I live is quite hilly and is a terrible place to get good mpg and I'm in and out of NYC five days a week so it just kills any chance I have of averaging over the EPA hooey.

Join fuelly and track it, it's easy.

#6 ·
Give it some time. The ecu will learn your driving style and adjust itself for maximum mpg. Quickly accelerating is the reason some of us are experiencing lower mpg than advertised. Most people are getting about the same or more than advertised. I don't check mine. I shoot for miles per tank. It's advertised to get 397 miles on a full tank and I get at least 400.

#8 · (Edited)
To lazy to do the maths but I'm getting 8.4 Litres to 100 KLm. 80% city driving 20% highway

Im also trying to not speed on the highway, but its just so easy to in this thing!
#Off Topic

I had similar issues in previous cars I have owned. :D

That is why I always ensure I have and use cruise control on the highway. It has saved me a small fortune in speeding tickets.

I assume the US models have this as stock.

#10 ·
I'm averaging in the 25-28 range according to calculations. The car's comp reads 2mpg high. Some of that is with my roof racks on, and 80% highway (with 40% of that being stop and go traffic... and that SUCKS with a clutch!)

~Chris

#13 ·
I got my Crosstrek on Friday. I drive a lot and put 550 miles on it already. it came with 220. I am getting 27mpg, but I seem to get better mileage on country roads than on the highways doing 70+. The dealer did say it would take a few thousand miles to learn my driving style. I really like the car though, even more than I thought I would.

#14 ·
MPG? I would say depends on the driver too. Got ours 2 weeks ago. Same route 40%city/60%hwy, 50 miles R/T I got 29.5 average, she got 27. Both cold start, letting car warm up 3 min b4 leaving home. Same situation with our Prius.:rolleyes:

#15 ·
I have the 5-spd and typically have a 30% city/traffic and 70% open highway commute. Before I put the roof rack on I was getting between 29 and 30 mpg and that was by my own tracking, which was close to what the onboard computer was getting. Now with the roof rack on I’ve lost about a mpg. I seem to be holding around 28-29 mpg. The worst I’ve had so far was after the initial engine break-in period when I was trying to rev the engine a little higher than usual, but even then I got 26.5.
Considering I had an equally powered Mazda3 with front wheel drive getting the same numbers as an AWD, I’m really happy with Subaru.

#16 ·
I just filled up today and I calculated it to be 20.2 mpg. I drive slow and smooth and this is what I get in return? I am pissed. I have no roof rack and I use the car starter very little. MyXV has 3900 miles on it.

The MPG computer lies. It told me this tank was 22.9 but like I said that was wrong. My old baja with its low gearing got 23-24 on this type of driving (45-50 mph country driving).

This car better get better mileage by the time it gets warmer or it is GONE!

#17 ·
I feel the same way buddy but mine hasnt been that bad. Ive been getting 24-26.5 with calculations and the car reading out about 1.5mpg more. And i do a descent amount of highway driving. Probably 60/40 highway/suburban. Im dying to actually average 28 one time like the advertise! And i have 3,800 miles on mine.

#18 ·
So far I have been pleased with the city mileage which is where I spend most of my time, but I'm not thrilled with highway MPG. I'm getting maybe 1 or 2 better than in town. Don't get me wrong, it's vastly better than the WRX I traded in and drinks regular fuel but if I can't hit over 30 mpg doing anything over 60mph, consider me frustrated. Hopefully when we get into July and it's 102 degree's or whatever, I'll just be griping about the heat and not the fuel economy of this car :)

#19 ·
I just got my XV about a month ago, and in my first 1000 miles, I am averaging about 19.8 mpg. I do 90% inner city driving (a lot of stop and go), and I am a bit aggressive, so the sudden acceleration is definitely my downfall. I am hoping it improves, as the car and I learn each other better.

#20 ·
i have close to 2000 miles now and im getting about 25 MPG city / highway ...the dealer says the winter gas will cause me to get 4 miles below what i would normally get in the summer, Im also a bit disappointed with the mileage, if it continues where it is, im considering the new WRX when it comes out that will have a 2.0 turbocharged engine that will be about the same i would imagine with some better power, i love how the crosstrek handles in snow and overall driving, but I bought it for the advertised 33 MPG

#21 ·
i really wonder how your guys drive???? i get 36-37mpg driving smart, and the advertise 33mpg if driving with a little bit of spirit to it! city, maybe 27 at worst. and i m in the hard canadian winter, on high performance winter tire. i do not expect any significant change in mpg as summer arrive...maybe 1mpg?

#24 ·
All the number i quoted are US gallon. There is no such thing as canadian gallon. There is a imperial Gallon use in most part of the world but definitly not use much in canada. We do stick to liters!!!

but yeah, i wonder if the difference between fuel economie numbers are related to the driving behavior and how much can be attributed to variation. i would think every XV should be within a very tine margin of each other as they are all identical.....

anyway, i m really happy and impress by the fuel economy of the XV. And i do get very good numbers out of my forester 13 also so i m thinking it s the drivers behavior that mostly determine the numbers...

#25 ·
but yeah, i wonder if the difference between fuel economie numbers are related to the driving behavior and how much can be attributed to variation. i would think every XV should be within a very tine margin of each other as they are all identical.....

anyway, i m really happy and impress by the fuel economy of the XV. And i do get very good numbers out of my forester 13 also so i m thinking it s the drivers behavior that mostly determine the numbers...[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more. As is with brake pads.

#26 ·
ummm yeah it is easy to judge people from a keyboard I guess. :rolleyes: Look I can always get better mileage from cars than most people. This car....not so much. I hope it is the "winter" gas. I really, really hope that is what it is.

#27 ·
In real world, 100% inner city driving for the last 3 months, I'm getting 9.4litres/100kms or approx 23 miles per gallon.
My journeys to/fro work are about 10km long each way for approx 30 minutes duration in peak hour heavy stop&go traffic, and no highways.
But what do these figures mean? For me, less than AU$3 per day for fuel.
I also purchased this car for its weekend getaway ability. I just couldn't get away this summer due to work commitments, BF3 and the summer long bushfire season.

In comparison, a work collegue drives a Kia Sportage. We were comparing this over lunch just the other day. The Kia Sportage, in similar city driving conditions gets 12L/100km or 19 mpg.

Note. Calculations based on on-line calculator http://www.metric-conversions.org/volume/us-liquid-gallons-to-liters.htm, http://www.metric-conversions.org/length/kilometers-to-miles.htm

#28 ·
Is there a calculator somewhere that can convert MPG to litres per 100kms so I can get a better idea of what you guys are talking about?

I've had my car one year and have done nearly 24,000km. My average fuel consumption is between 7.2 & 7.8 litres per 100km.

#32 ·
I've got 1100 miles on the odometer.I have a 30-mile commute. I reset the trip meter with each fill-up. I use the same gas station every time. My dash display is usually at 30.0 mpg but my calculation, shows me averaging 27.77. So, I'm getting right around 28 as well. If i didnt have decent hill to climb both directions, I know it would do a bit better. I hover around 60mph during the commute.... this is for CVT.

#31 ·
949 miles without a re-set in mixed driving with 2 different drivers on a CVT model shows 33 average on the display - with mostly highway it was showing 37 at about 400 miles but that has dropped a bit since more mixed driving

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.