Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
241 - 260 of 270 Posts

·
Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
16,180 Posts
Sorry... 😸

Not sure about the previous gen but the '18+ gen seem to consistently overreport up to 15% from what folks have posted here. Even with that, though, you're still getting decent mileage. Ours is pretty crappy with the stop and go traffic here (although not right now, LOL).

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
3,132 Posts
Lots of factors that affect mpg. Where you get your gas (alcohol content), how you drive (aggressive or not), short trips, city vs hwy, etc. It was interesting on my recent trip, to see how it varied. Driving through WA, OR and CA, mpg not so good. Driving through NV, AZ ID, much better (about 1L/100 kms improvement). Here back home it is not good either. But that's mostly because most (90%) trips are very short.

·
Resident topic drifter
16,180 Posts
Lots of factors that affect mpg. Where you get your gas (alcohol content), how you drive (aggressive or not), short trips, city vs hwy, etc. It was interesting on my recent trip, to see how it varied. Driving through WA, OR and CA, mpg not so good. Driving through NV, AZ ID, much better (about 1L/100 kms improvement). Here back home it is not good either. But that's mostly because most (90%) trips are very short.
Wow, that's a pretty significant difference. Do you attribute it to the gas? Was the kind of driving the same?

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
3,132 Posts
Wow, that's a pretty significant difference. Do you attribute it to the gas? Was the kind of driving the same?
Yeah, that is close to a 15% diff. Couple of other things that could have come into play. It took a full day for the battery to get fully charge (not always showing 14.3). And alternator charging does rob some power. First part of the trip was WA and OR. The AVG consumption takes a while to catch up. I only reset it with each oil change. Not sure how many kms that it averages over. But by the time I was going back up north from AZ through NV, it was a full 1L/100 kms better from than when I started the trip. And there was a bit of a tail wind when driving north. But interestingly, after driving in WA for a while again on way home (last fill up at Yakima) I saw the AVG creeping up again. But I was also going pretty fast through NV (many long, boring hours) near 70 to 80 most of the way. In ID was going 85 (speed limit was 80).

But yeah, it was not all the same.

·
Registered
2019 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
797 Posts
BTW, I keep posting this but... the dealer can recalibrate your MPG display. Measure actual vs.read on a few tanks, determine the % error, ask the dealer to tweak by that specific amount. You'll be within 2% then, instead of the 10-15% error.

As for reported mpg readings, unfortunately it's impossible to draw a conclusion from, or compare onself to a single specific measurement. Too many independent variables affect the overall L/100km (or MPG) readings. Given each of those adds or takes a few %, it adds up both ways...

• The trip itself (traffic/highway, denivelation, average speed, nr. of stops or traffic lights...)
  • Driving style (geriatric vs. possessed)
  • Load (each 15 kg/30lbs = 1% more mass = 1% more energy needed to accelerate to a given speed)
  • Speed (aerodynamic drag is proportional to the square of the velocity)
  • Headwind (also adds drag proportional to the square of wind speed)
  • Tyre pressure (rolling resistance goes down as tyre pressure goes up)
  • Temperature (each 10C/20F drop = 3.5% denser air = 3% more air drag and 3% more fuel consumption at WOT)
  • Cold temperature (Cold starts, initially higher RPM and A/F; also every lubricant gets more viscous, adding to the resistance)
  • Winter gas (1.7% less energy per volume) or ethanol-free gas (3% more energy per volume than the generic E10 gasoline).

And so on, and so forth. For what it's worth, having recorded pretty much every fill-up for an entire year since I got the car, these are the stats: 7.1 (min) - 8.5 (overall av.) - 9.8 (max) l/100km. It corresponds to 33 - 28 - 24 MPG.

·
Read Only
32 Posts
Miles in trip meter, divided by gallons at fill up= MPG. Reset trip meter to zero at fill up, start over.

Ethanol free gas (U.S. anyway) returns about 10% better MPG; that's from 400K + commuting miles in Prius/C-Max hybrid/Crosstrek hybrid and motorcycles.

Geriatric? No, we call it hyper-miling techniques, of which these cars actually learn your habits and perform better.

There's no reason to FUD mileage discussions; driving hybrids ($$$savings$$$) paid off our debt AND our mortgage.

40 PSI is a standard I came up with for both our cars and bikes; easy # to remember. Until we get ice of course, and THEN you want less PSI for more rubber/traction on the road.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After owning our Crosstrek for just over two months, I just learned how to change the display to indicate the average MPG. So far the MPG shows anywhere from 19-24 average MPG. Which is kind of a dissapointment, since this care is supposed to average 25/33 mpg. I'm curious, what is everyone elses average MPG?
I kept records for a fewmonths, both miles driven and gallons used. I was getting avg 24 mile per gallon. i live in a major city so almost only local drives

·
Registered
435 Posts
For anyone curious about MPGs, which follow a statistical distribution.. just check https://www.fuelly.com/
You'll have the reported values per model, engine, year, etc. On a forum, it's all personal evidence which, individually, carries little to no weight.
Not that the would really be that much more effective. It's still personal inputs right? Does it account for long short or no idle, trafffic, city or highway, etc?
Serious questions, I've never used the app. I use a boring calculator to track mine, and I know the answers to the above questions so I can account for my mileage changes. Anyone else's information is relative heresay to me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Resident topic drifter
16,180 Posts
Not that the would really be that much more effective. It's still personal inputs right? Does it account for long short or no idle, trafffic, city or highway, etc?
Serious questions, I've never used the app. I use a boring calculator to track mine, and I know the answers to the above questions so I can account for my mileage changes. Anyone else's information is relative heresay to me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I tracked every mile and every drop of gasoline for a year and then lost interest. We get around the EPA mileage on long trips but around Los Angles we're lucky to get over 20 MPG.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Been tracking my mileage on my 2021 since I started driving it in October and have put on 30,000 km (18,500 miles). With the summer tires on and the summer gas I average between 6.4- 7L /100km (34 mpg- 37 mpg), driving conservatively. In the winter with the larger tires and crappy winter fuel I average between 7.5-8.5 L/100 (28 mpg- 31 mpg), with frequent use of the auto-start to warm up the Crosstrek). Tracked with an app as opposed to the factory display.

Edit: 2.0L, Cvt, 85% highway, 15% City

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I just bought a '22 Sport. This was my first week commuting to work with it. I drive about 90% freeway and average around 75mph. Had to refill my tank last night and thought I would share my numbers.

2022 Crosstrek Sport with 1,200 miles on it.
395.2 miles driven
13.342 gallons to fill up
30.9 MPG per the dash display
29.62 MPG hand calculated

Hope it improves as I get a few more miles on it but this is still a huge improvement from the car its replaced!

241 - 260 of 270 Posts