Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

201 - 220 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'd have to disagree to your point. The cruise is electronically controlled speed controller and it's meant to maintain speed. Manual feather of the peddle is less likely produce better MPG than using the cruise. Today's CVTs are well matched to the cruise uphill/downhill, etc... and whether you use cruise or manual, you'll have to increase the RPM to maintain speed and my guess is that our ECUs can out-maneuver any heal/toe manual throttling.
Normally and in most situations that is true but there is a reason why almost all car manuals say to not use cruise in really hilly country. It hurts mileage and is not good for the engine.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
7.6 l/100km indicated, 7.96 calculated.
How is it the gauge is getting more accurate?
I find the same to be true for me also. I attribute it to my driving being more consistent and the ECU adapting to my driving style. It's still off; yesterday I filled up and manually recorded 33.2 whereas the mpg indicator indicated over 35.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
91 Posts
Agree with the other posters on cruise control not always optimal. Since it's function is to maintain constant speed it would make sense that it would lead to greater efficiency.....on flat roads. But throw in a few rolling hills and things change. A driver can always take advantage of momentum of the down grade and back-off on the throttle a bit instead of competing with gravity on the way up. Whereas cruise control will just want to maintain speed by revving on uphills.

Now if cruise control modules were designed and programed with true fuel economy in mind then it may integrate GPS mapping, atmospheric readings, etc to make intelligent decisions. That might be the case when self-driving cars are the norm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For those with the 5 speed, the difference between 110kph and 120kph on the highway makes a huge difference for me.. almost a whole l/100km (2-3 mpg). I drive 80% highway and I've been getting 7.8l/100km (30mpg) pretty consistently.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mostly around town driving. Gased up today and with 50%+ in the city averaged 27mpg. That was by the math method and US gallons.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Those of you with the 5 Speed, I did the research before buying my Automatic. The fact that you are not operating at the optimal RPM compared the computer managing RPM's you aren't going to get the advertised, 25c/33h MPG

·
Registered
714 Posts
I averaged 22.3 on my last tank, which is about as good as I've ever gotten.

My computer read-out always says 24.5 no matter what my actual mileage is. Heh. I think it's just consistently about 2mpg off.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Yeah, my MPG readout is consistently 1.7 MPG high, give or take only a tenth of an MPG or so. Doesn't matter what kind of driving I'm doing.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The difference between indicated and calculated varies wildly.
8.6 is on the high side as well, that's full on winter consumption and it hasn't even begun to get cold here yet.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
The "topic" is the mpg and these cars report 10-15% more than the actual...

·
Registered
1 Posts
'18 Crosstrek base.
With ~ 50% hwy driving low of 22 in the winter, high of 32 in the summer. Current tank may be the best (with lower octane e15 88 octane gas v. the usual 91 non ethanol!, strange), so far getting 34mpg. Car gauge is 4-5 mpg higher than reality so bust out the calculator. Usually fill at Kwik Starr (Top Tier gas).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I calculate mileage on every tank (on board computer is usually 3-4 mpg optimistic). 2018 premium is average for 19,000 miles is 31.8 mpg, including a cross country trip and trip to FL. I'm pretty pleased.

·
Registered
171 Posts
A couple of months ago I took a position with another company. My daily commute went from 12.5 miles, 40% crosstown/60% highway one way, to 3.3 miles one way in town only. And man has my mpg gone into the crapper. I am averaging around 22 miles per gallon, manually calculated - the Exagerometer shows around 24.5. And depending on timing, I can spend more time sitting at stop lights idling than actual moving, which of course does not do Good Things for mpg.

Contrast this to a trip I did a few weekends ago through central Colorado, up and over Weston Pass, 11,921 feet, between Fairplay and Leadville. Rough and rocky, a few sections that are steep and crawly - I got quite concerned on one stretch on the upward that was rather steep and rocky - engine power was just about maxed out. For the trip, the Exagerometer showed 40.3 mpg average, actual calculated was 35.7.

It was fascinating to note that when I got to the top of Weston Pass, there were three other vehicles there: two late model Outbacks and a late model Forester.

201 - 220 of 238 Posts