Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

181 - 200 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
30mpg 50hwy/50city (nj near NYC so even my highway is normally stop and go or rarely above 50mph

Mods: tune, no carbon filter dry panel filter and light with the pedal.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I took a trip to Bend and back yesterday thru Salem and over Santiam Pass. Went from about 90ft above sea level to a little over 4800 there and back. Had a tailwind on the way back down the mountain. After driving 433.2 miles, I filled up today and it took only 11.024 gallons which equates to 39.3 mpg, my best ever! The Average MPG indicator said 40.2 so it was closer than most fillups.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I got kind of board with entering my fill-ups on fuelly, so I've missed a bunch lately, but my 2014 5spd XV averages in the high 20mpg range tank/tank (see sig).

Someone mentioned resetting their avg MPG indicator every fill up. How does one manually reset it? Mine resets itself when you re-fuel.

·
Super Moderator
3,350 Posts
Someone mentioned resetting their avg MPG indicator every fill up. How does one manually reset it? Mine resets itself when you re-fuel.
The miles-to-empty estimate resets itself after each fill-up, but the running MPG tallies are tied to the car's two trip odometers. Reset one of the trip odometers and it resets the mileage calculation for that trip odometer. Push the button on the left side of the instrument cluster to change odometers, and you'll see the running MPG calc change accordingly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
First road trip on 14 DK cvt. SFla 90* temp, dry roads, no wind. Left Fort Myers to Orlando via Rt 17. Speeds vary from 65-70, avg approx 55-65. Small towns break up speed for break-in (started with 170mi on OD). Trip was total of 368.6 mi. Started with full tank.

Computer showed an avg of 33.2mpg, actual calculated mpg with 11.745 gal taken on comes up to 31.38 mpg. Not bad for a virgin engine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
18K and I still average around 31mpg (but that's from the dash computer) - unconfirmed though till I do my own calculations

I start out at around 36 for the first 50 miles... then it settles down to around 33 and by the time the tank is almost dry - it's 30-31

·
Registered
8 Posts
I only have 1900 mi on my XV, but per my own calculations I'm getting 33-36 MPG (mixed city and hwy driving). I expect that to go up a little as the engine breaks in further. I don't drive it like I stole it. ;)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just did an almost full tank after going fly fishing and then some work commuting. computer said 30.3 over 415 miles but it came out to be about 28.9 i believe once i filled up. havent been near that since the fill up, but it's been rainy and very windy the last two days so thats killing my mileage.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've put a bit over 2000 miles on my 2014 XV Hybrid so far:

Computer reads average 36.9mpg on trip B odometer(zeroed at delivery)
My at the pump calculations average for all of my fill ups is 35.9. (With a high of 40.53---crazy mpg)
Mostly rural New England driving 35-50mph speed limits. Some highway, some city(Boston).
All miles near sea level.
Occasionally toting a kayak, or loaded up with band equipment.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I took a trip to Bend and back yesterday thru Salem and over Santiam Pass. Went from about 90ft above sea level to a little over 4800 there and back. Had a tailwind on the way back down the mountain. After driving 433.2 miles, I filled up today and it took only 11.024 gallons which equates to 39.3 mpg, my best ever! The Average MPG indicator said 40.2 so it was closer than most fillups.
I'm over in central OR and do regular trips to northern CA. The interesting thing I found is avg mpg relative to altitude, since all other factors are similar. Maybe this is a known fact. I'm guessing with altitude and subsequent leaner air the computer is adjusting fuel accordingly. So while overall power might suffer at elevation, cursing under nominal load means less fuel at the jets.

Example. 150 mile stretch along straight flat stretch of hwy 5 in CA (200ish ft), mpg around 32. 150 mile stretch along hwy 97, also flat and straight going at same 65mph, avg mpg is 36.....only difference altitude is 4000+ ft.

Conclusion: being in CA cost me in more ways than one. :)

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I've now have 9,000 miles on my 2013 Crosstrek w/CVT. Put 1,500 miles on it with I or my wife driving at 70 mph getting 29 mpg Hy, city 25 mpg.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Careful of Cruise! It can kill MPG. Its purpose is to maintain speed. On hills and inclines it will increase RPMs to maintain speed. This means it may burn more gas then if you gradually maitained the speed manually.

·
Banned
219 Posts
Careful of Cruise! It can kill MPG. Its purpose is to maintain speed. On hills and inclines it will increase RPMs to maintain speed. This means it may burn more gas then if you gradually maitained the speed manually.
I'd have to disagree to your point. The cruise is electronically controlled speed controller and it's meant to maintain speed. Manual feather of the peddle is less likely produce better MPG than using the cruise. Today's CVTs are well matched to the cruise uphill/downhill, etc... and whether you use cruise or manual, you'll have to increase the RPM to maintain speed and my guess is that our ECUs can out-maneuver any heal/toe manual throttling.

·
Registered
721 Posts
...my guess is that our ECUs can out-maneuver any heal/toe manual throttling.
Maybe so, but they can't anticipate ups and downs, whereas you can because you can see them coming.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Maybe so, but they can't anticipate ups and downs, whereas you can because you can see them coming.
I agree with this-- maintaining a constant speed will not always result in the best gas mileage. I can see the road ahead and make decisions the car cannot. For example on a short steep up and down it is more economical to drop a little speed along the way up and then have gravity make it up for you on the way back down rather than maintaining a speed up the hill with cruise and converting that speed to brake dust on the way down.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I don't drive my XV anywhere as much as I used to but have found if I keep the car under 70 on the highway I can eek out about 35 mpg.

Anything above that and it drops down to barely 30 mpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
350 Posts
Got rid of the car today so final tally was 63,315 miles, 2206.5 gallons = overall 28.89mpg. This was a mix of mostly highway miles but probably more operating hours under 20mph than over 50. I saw as high as 33.8mpg and as low as 20.

181 - 200 of 228 Posts