Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this is my first time buying a Subaru (and first time buying a car!) and I couldn’t seem to find a forum for 2020 XV buyers like the one from 2019. I am looking to buy a Crosstrek Premium and have gotten the following offer from one dealer through the Costco Auto Buying Program. Would appreciate any input on if this is an acceptable price to be paying (I’m not great at haggling so I’m not expecting the lowest price ever, but just want to make sure I’m not overpaying!). Thanks in advance. (BTW If it matters I’m located near Boston, MA).
  • 2020 Crosstrek Premium CVT Magnetite Gray, Standard Model
  • Dealer additions include body side molding ($292), license plate brackets ($62), rear bumper cover $119
  • Total dealer cost: $24919
  • Suggested list price incl transportation/handling: $25993
  • Selling price: $23,969
  • Out the door price: $26160 including $1528 of taxes and $663 of doc/license fees
I’ve been a little confused by what numbers I should be comparing to see if I got a good deal - the dealer cost price vs. my OTD price? Or vs. my selling price? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2020 6 sp premium in Cool Khaki Grey
65 Posts
I would compare OTD prices
BUT to make it Simpler after comparing at least two dealerships pricing ... The dealership you feel most comfortable with no matter the price ( to a point ). The experience upfront and over the life of the car verses saving $500 is worth more in the long run.
And one you get your new vehicle.... stop looking at pricing because I guarantee no matter how happy you were YOU see a better deal somewhere lol
Of course just my opinion

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Seems good. In Pa we have no "Document fee" Just Tags and Title(I believe<$100). Bear in mind the '21 will have an additional 30HP but again you won't get a price like this.

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
960 Posts
No additional HP in the Premium - Sport and Limited only.
Your price vs dealer price is a good comparison, and looks like a decent deal.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium; 2010 LGT stage 2+
271 Posts
$62 for license plate brackets is BS.

But I agree with RAS: get several quotes and compare out the door pricing only. You can do that over email or phone, there's no need to waste your time going in. You already know what you want.
That way you don't need to argue about doc fees or accessories pricing. They can mess with those numbers however they want to, you only care about the total cost to you.
When I bought mine in December, the Costco program didn't get me any discount at all.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
965 Posts
Total dealer cost: $24919
Hmmm. Where did you get that figure? Look here:
Ask the dealer to show your the factory invoice (which includes the invoice price) and shoot for at least $1000 below invoice price.

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Premium, Sunshine Orange
219 Posts
When I used the Costco auto program to buy a Toyota Tacoma it gave me 50% off accessories (I think up to $500) so you might be able to save some additional money. That could not be used toward dealer installed items, but the options you have in mind should be easy to install if you are comfortable with basic tools. Here is a thread with info on installing the body side moldings: Model Year 2018 and Newer - Alignment of Body Side.... Here is a youtube showing installation of the bumper protector on an Outback, I expect it would be the same for a Crosstrek:

TrueCar can be a helpful source for pricing information and to complete a purchase. There are many car buying services online, or perhaps through a credit union or other organization with which you are affiliated.

I think one can do better negotiating individually if one is informed, prepared, realistic, and a steely tough negotiator who remains ready and able to walk away in the face of a skilled, cunning, unscrupulous, and manipulative sales staff, and if local market conditions are conducive. But the amount of time one might invest in negotiating, and perhaps walking away several times, may not justify saving a few hundred dollars compared to what can be obtained through a stress-free buying service.

I have heard that Heuberger Subaru in Colorado Springs may have the best prices of any dealer due to the volume they handle. To compare to what you are finding elsewhere you may want to check New 2020 Subaru Crosstrek AUTO For Sale in Colorado Springs CO | JF2GTAPC3L8263053 | Serving Fort Carson, Fountain and Monument.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,501 Posts
We got the TrueCar price on ours - it was about $700 under invoice. You should be able to better now with the economy the way it is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We got the TrueCar price on ours - it was about $700 under invoice. You should be able to better now with the economy the way it is.
When you say you got the TrueCar price and paid below invoice is that referring to your OTD price including tax & fees?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm. Where did you get that figure? Look here:
Ask the dealer to show your the factory invoice (which includes the invoice price) and shoot for at least $1000 below invoice price.
I may be confused but I was interpreting the total dealer cost as the invoice cost (base price + some charges like a $40 gas fee, $65 port fee, etc.).

·
Registered
2020 6 sp premium in Cool Khaki Grey
65 Posts
Unless you are looking for a specials color / model .... production has been sliced so I would not get bent over but there is a point were negotiation is not worth the hassle. Unless you like that sort of thing.

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
When you say you got the TrueCar price and paid below invoice is that referring to your OTD price including tax & fees?
Invoice price is supposedly what the dealer pays for the car but in reality with manufacturers incentives, etc. it's much less. So they can sell a car for below invoice and still make a profit. The dealer should tell you what the invoice price for a specific car is with whatever options are on it, and you should be able to get $1,000 off that as the "selling price". Tax, license and doc fees will be on top of that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
All that really matters is the total OTD price. That keeps it simple--one number, and that's either what you pay or what you negotiate from, no extra/hidden charges, they are already part of the OTD price.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am looking at a 2020 Crosstrek Limited with an MSRP of $32,214. The dealer is willing to sell the car for 29,324 plus a doc fee of $389 and NJ tax and DMV fees. This dealer has seven limited models in white with identical options. I have been shopping around and this is the best price I have found and the dealer is fifteen minutes from my house.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I am looking at a 2020 Crosstrek Limited with an MSRP of $32,214. The dealer is willing to sell the car for 29,324 plus a doc fee of $389 and NJ tax and DMV fees. This dealer has seven limited models in white with identical options. I have been shopping around and this is the best price I have found and the dealer is fifteen minutes from my house.
Without knowing the options (package number and individual add-ons like rear bumper cover), nobody can say if that's a decent price.

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
When we were buying, invoice was typically 93% of MSRP, which would be $29,959 so looks like you're getting $650 below invoice. That MSRP seems high, though unless it's fully loaded. Just make sure they're not inflating the price with dealer add-ons at ridiculous markups (common stealership tactic)...

·
Registered
8 Posts
When we were buying, invoice was typically 93% of MSRP, which would be $29,959 so looks like you're getting $650 below invoice. That MSRP seems high, though unless it's fully loaded. Just make sure they're not inflating the price with dealer add-ons at ridiculous markups (common stealership tactic)...

Car is fully loaded with Nav and Moonroof pkg, Auto-Dimming Mirror w/Compass, Door Edge Guards, Map and Dome Light LED upgrade, Rear Bumper Cover, Splash Guards, Rear Seat Protector, Crystal White Pearl Body Side Molding and All Weather Floor Liners

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
Car is fully loaded with Nav and Moonroof pkg, Auto-Dimming Mirror w/Compass, Door Edge Guards, Map and Dome Light LED upgrade, Rear Bumper Cover, Splash Guards, Rear Seat Protector, Crystal White Pearl Body Side Molding and All Weather Floor Liners
Nice! 😸

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
All that really matters is the total OTD price. That keeps it simple--one number, and that's either what you pay or what you negotiate from, no extra/hidden charges, they are already part of the OTD price.
I disagree...

Every state (and even city) has different sales tax rates - Santa Monica has one of the highest rates in the US at 10.25% and that's more than $3K when you're buying a loaded Crosstrek. Also, rules on doc fees and other dealer shenanigans vary widely from state to state. In that regard, being California, we have much more stringent controls on that. The only way to effectively compare is to use a figure BEFORE all of that is added.

Subaru determines the MSRP and an honest dealer should show you the invoice price. IMHO, that's the best way to tell if you're getting a good deal. Our TrueCar price was around $700 under invoice and I got close to $1K under invoice a year later with mom-in-law's Crosstrek.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts