Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,349 Posts
or 2.5L engine
Yes, that was introduced in 2021 on the Sport model and in 2022 on the Limited model as well - both are CVT only. Only the Base and Premium models are available with an MT.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,665 Posts
I believe direct injection was introduced in 2020 which improved fuel economy a bit.
Direct injection was introduced in 2018 but I would not consider it an improvement since DI engines are prone to carbon buildup on the intake valves.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,349 Posts
Direct injection was introduced in 2018 but I would not consider it an improvement since DI engines are prone to carbon buildup on the intake valves.
This is what I have heard. Although I don't know anybody who has had a problem with this yet. I'm sure the shelves of your local auto store are filled with plenty of snake oil remedies for this.

·
Registered
336 Posts
don't test drive a 2.5L or you'll be a CVT convert :cool:
NEVER! I will say, if you want a manual... Then 2019 is the best year there will ever be. If you are getting the cvt then it doesn't really matter because you probably also want the auto climate control and fancy things that I don't want. The 2.0 is just fine for the trek though. I'll get an sti or another bugeye for speed.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,349 Posts
NEVER! I will say, if you want a manual... Then 2019 is the best year there will ever be. If you are getting the cvt then it doesn't really matter because you probably also want the auto climate control and fancy things that I don't want. The 2.0 is just fine for the trek though. I'll get an sti or another bugeye for speed.
I have a 2020 manual. No auto start/stop on mine. While I'm not crazy about the auto climate control, it's no big deal to disable the auto portion of it. Just adjusting an item disables auto for that item. The only item I leave on auto is the fan speed - that's nice in the wintertime as it won't ramp up speed until the engine is warm.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Now that this thread has been bumped, I will agree with others here that you will find few advantages to models later than 2018.

At some point, climate control became standard in all models, not just the Limited. I believe direct injection was introduced in 2020 which improved fuel economy a bit. Eyesight became standard in all CVT models for 2021.

Note that if you buy an MT, there will be no Eyesight and no auto start/stop on any models.
2018 2.0l had direct injection

·
Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
16,180 Posts
As model years get older, the trim level doesn't matter as much as far as price differential. I'd say a low mileage '18 Limited like ours is as good as any of the later models, with the exception of the 2.5L and I haven't driven one so I can't comment on that. If you spend a lot of time at higher elevations the 2.5L is probably better.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The good 2021 feature is the 2.5L engine. i say this after owning and driving a 2016 premium with 2.0L engine for 110k miles. i have a 2021 sport which when you consider the price vs the price i paid for my 2016 premium ($1500 difference) is an absolute steal
I'd even say the 2.5L engine is a safety feature. Here in So Cal there is a ton of highway construction underway with very short merge lengths and cement barriers obscuring the approach. I frequently find myself putting my Limited into "S" mode for the extra boost to get up to speed coming out of one of those chutes to get up to speed with the rest of the lead footed So Cal drivers.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's not as bad a problem as you might think. Before I bought my 2021 Limited I owned a Mini Cooper S with DI. The intake valves needed to be blown out around 90K - 100K. I mitigated it by running almost exclusively on Chevron gas. The Techron additive helped keep the buildup down. Other brands were not as kind to my engine's performance. I could definitely feel the difference.

·
Resident topic drifter
16,180 Posts
I'd even say the 2.5L engine is a safety feature. Here in So Cal there is a ton of highway construction underway with very short merge lengths and cement barriers obscuring the approach. I frequently find myself putting my Limited into "S" mode for the extra boost to get up to speed coming out of one of those chutes to get up to speed with the rest of the lead footed So Cal drivers.
Haven't found that to be a problem but maybe our Pedal Commander helps, as it's now always in Sport mode.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Haven't found that to be a problem but maybe our Pedal Commander helps, as it's now always in Sport mode.
It's pretty bad down here in Orange County. The blind approaches are short and awful. They've been tearing down and rebuilding bridges going over the 405 to widen it. There are about 21 bridges over a 16 mile stretch that they've been rebuilding. Surface streets have been a nightmare too. They've had to alternate construction because they are usually grouped closely together. The 405 cuts through at a diagonal, so there are a number of adjacent N/S and E/W bridges. They only take down one at a time in those pairs so they don't completely cripple cross town traffic. Fortunately the bulk of the bridge work is near completion.

·
Resident topic drifter
16,180 Posts
It's pretty bad down here in Orange County. The blind approaches are short and awful. They've been tearing down and rebuilding bridges going over the 405 to widen it. There are about 21 bridges over a 16 mile stretch that they've been rebuilding. Surface streets have been a nightmare too. They've had to alternate construction because they are usually grouped closely together. The 405 cuts through at a diagonal, so there are a number of adjacent N/S and E/W bridges. They only take down one at a time in those pairs so they don't completely cripple cross town traffic. Fortunately the bulk of the bridge work is near completion.
Ah, yes, the endless widen the 405 project, ugh...

We're lucky that our nearest "on ramp" is the California Incline - nice view of the ocean and the mountains, then a stop light to get onto PCH which becomes the 10.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts