Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the current 2021 lineup, the Sport trim seems to have good features including safety.
If I want to save some bucks and get a pre-owned car with say 25K miles or less, about far back in terms of model year/trim would be too old in giving up the current good features including safety that you like? Which specific features are lost in the older year?
In other words, what model year still have the good 2021 features and which model years are too old?
Thank you in advance.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,931 Posts
Our '18 is the first of the new gen with 2.0L and it's fine. Some people feel the need for the 2.5L. You'd have to test drive both to see if you feel the extra money for the 2.5L is worth it to you. In the UK and Europe, the 2.0L is the upgrade from the 1.6L.

Other than that, very little changed from '18 on. AS/S was added but that can be eliminated if you don't like it.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,455 Posts
2019 was the last model year not to be burdened with Auto Stop/Start. Applies to all trims.

Reactions: CRAZYHAWK

·
Prefers black cats
12,931 Posts
Can that be disabled, or not ?
Yes - Subaru only allows you to turn it off when you start driving, then it comes back on again but there are various ways to permanently disable that various members have posted here, depending on how much DIY work you want to do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes - Subaru only allows you to turn it off when you start driving, then it comes back on again but there are various ways to permanently disable that various members have posted here, depending on how much DIY work you want to do.
is there a distinction between models years 2018 and earlier Vs. 2019 and later, Or no distinction ?

·
Prefers black cats
12,931 Posts
is there a distinction between models years 2018 and earlier Vs. 2019 and later, Or no distinction ?
Up to '17 was the first gen.

The second gen began with the '18 and there were a lot of significant changes from the '17. After that, only minor and cosmetic changes until the 2.5L was introduced. If you're not interested in the bigger engine, there's very little difference between the '18 and the '21 (or even the '22, I would imagine).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

The second gen began with the '18 and there were a lot of significant changes from the '17. After that, only minor and cosmetic changes until the 2.5L was introduced. If you're not interested in the bigger engine, there's very little difference between the '18 and the '21 (or even the '22, I would imagine).
Any specific safety feature that got introduced recently in the newer years, that would would be giving up if purchasing a pre-owned older?

·
Registered
2019 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
445 Posts
Technically, the 18+ is the third generation. The first generation XV is the 2011:
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Car

Any specific safety feature that got introduced recently in the newer years, that would would be giving up if purchasing a pre-owned older?
No major changes since 2018. In 2020, Subaru added an automatic door unlock in the case of a collision, a rear-seat reminder and front USB ports, while in 2021 it saw "advanced" adaptice cruise control, lane centering and other minor modifications (different bumper, front fascia, darker tailights) along with a vaguely specified "retuned suspension" + a heated steering wheel (in Canada). There were some weird +/- 1 mpg EPA variations here and there as well.

·
Prefers black cats
12,931 Posts
First, second or third gen? Only Subaru knows...

Don't stress about AS/S - if you don't like it you can easily disable it. From model years 2018 through the current year, the only significant change was the introduction of the 2.5L engine. Personally, I don't think the Crosstrek has changed much since '18...

Reactions: Bluefoton

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
4,615 Posts
Yep, as @Bluefoton said, the 2021 model has an updated EyeSight system that includes automatic lane centering. I imagine the software evolved in other ways, too, that didn't result in additional consumer features.

As for the two engine sizes, well ... I drove a Crosstrek with the 2.0 engine for 7 years and was not at all unhappy with it. But now that I have a Crosstrek with the larger engine, I'd never go back to the 2.0. Anyone considering a new or recent Crosstrek owes it to themselves to do an extended test drive in a car with the 2.5 engine, with Sport mode activated. I doubt you'd ever look back after that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep, as @Bluefoton said, the 2021 model has an updated EyeSight system that includes automatic lane centering. I imagine the software evolved in other ways, too, that didn't result in additional consumer features.

As for the two engine sizes, well ... I drove a Crosstrek with the 2.0 engine for 7 years and was not at all unhappy with it. But now that I have a Crosstrek with the larger engine, I'd never go back to the 2.0. Anyone considering a new or recent Crosstrek owes it to themselves to do an extended test drive in a car with the 2.5 engine, with Sport mode activated. I doubt you'd ever look back after that.
I test drove it several years back and it seemed fine. But I find my big engine Volvo and small engine Prius also fine, so I guess flexible. In contrast, I drove the Honda HRV and Nissans and maybe Corolla and found those weak. The AS/S on my Prius is fine; doesn't bother me without lag; not sure if the Crosstrek AS/S is similar or worse.

·
Prefers black cats
12,931 Posts

Right, I had forgotten about the EyeSight improvements. It's a pity that's not available as a firmware update.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts