Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
7561 - 7580 of 7622 Posts

·
Registered
21 Sport
2,225 Posts
had the oil changed and tires rotated at 22k miles. i found two small leaks in a tire caused by an embedded fishhook. the technician insisted the tire wasn't leaking but i had him remove the tire and subsequently confirmed the leaks. i had been monitoring the tire ever since i bought this fantastic device.......

next oil change and rotation will be at 30k miles. i'll replace my tires around that time too

·
Registered
21 Sport
2,225 Posts
had the oil changed and tires rotated at 22k miles. i found two small leaks in a tire caused by an embedded fishhook. the technician insisted the tire wasn't leaking but i had him remove the tire and subsequently confirmed the leaks. i had been monitoring the tire ever since i bought this fantastic device.......

next oil change and rotation will be at 30k miles. i'll replace my tires around that time too
Automotive tire Tire Tread Road surface Synthetic rubber

Eyebrow Body jewelry Human body Wood Gesture

·
Registered
2019 Limited - Suba
628 Posts
Did a two--fer this morning. Added a switched power outlet to the cargo area and a hatch release button to the dash. Did them both at the same time since I had to run wire from fuse box area to cargo area for both jobs.

First the power outlet:

@Dilettante369 aka Tom the Dilettante has an excellent video so I only bothered photographing the installed product.
One thing I did differently: I used a hole saw to make cutouts that the two outlets and the switch fit into. I put the 'nuts' on from the back side of the trim panel to hold the outlet assembly in place more firmly.
Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior Grey Rim
Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Grey Automotive wheel system
Grey Automotive design Automotive tire Personal luxury car Vehicle

Next the hatch release button

I had the idea of buying a hatch release button like for the Outback/Forester and wiring it to the release. When I was looking around behind the button panel just above the fuse box I noticed a 4-pin connector. I asked about it on this forum, separate thread, and learned it is for aftermarket fog lights. I figured it should work.
Motor vehicle Steering part Vehicle audio Automotive tire Vehicle door

The button fits in the upper section of the panel. Note that the upper and lower buttons are not interchangeable. This will only work if you have a free spot up top. After installing the button I checked fit for the plug and found I needed to trim off some 'tabs' on each side for it to fit. Very easy to do with a utility knife - the plastic is very soft.
Carabiner Automotive lighting Finger Electrical wiring Rock-climbing equipment

The wires you want to splice into are the black and white ones. The purple and brown wires provide illumination for the button
Electrical wiring Computer hardware Electronic engineering Cable Circuit component

Tom has excellent instructions in the video linked above for getting all the trim pieces off and routing wire. Where I diverged was this wire was going to the hatch door. Once I got it to the cargo bay I went up the driver's side and fished the wires through the rubber boot at the top corner. On the hatch i routed with the wire bundle you see at the top left corner of this pic. This ended up a few inches away from the hatch release wires I wanted to splice into.
Automotive tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Line

Note that the end of the boot on the body of the car is attached to a plastic piece clipped into the hole. To reattach the boot you will need to remove this part. It is clipped in 3 places and you can compress the clips with a small screwdriver to work it out of the hole. Stretch the rubber boot over the edges to reattach and pop it back in the hole.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Finger Bicycle part Hood

For wiring at the release check Tom's video. Note that in my 2019 Limited, there are four wires, not two. The ones that work to actuate the release are the purple wire and either of the black wires. The black wires look to be 22 gauge and the quick-connect splicers I bought would not breach the insulation. So I ended up stripping about a half inch, without cutting the wire, twisting the wire from the button around it, and using a liberal amount of electrical tape.

And here's the finished mod:
Car Vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Family car
Car Automotive design Personal luxury car Auto part Gas

There are two things to note:
  1. The button will release the hatch even when the car is in motion. I figured it would be hard to accidentally press in that location. From an abundance of caution I moved the button for side approaching traffic (on the bottom bank)
  2. The button will release the hatch, but there is a secondary catch. In other words if I release the hatch from the inside, then get out and go to the back of the car, the hatch is loose, but still held in place. I have to use the external button to release it completely. This is probably a safety feature to prevent the hatch coming completely open by accident. In normal use you are pressing the button and lifting at the same time, so the secondary catch doesn't happen.
I'm thinking about if there is a way to put a spring or something else to exert enough pressure to pop the hatch past the secondary catch when the release is actuated. Any thoughts on that are welcome.

·
Registered
2022 Sport
48 Posts
I put in some 3 1/2 and 6x9 Kicker speakers today, and they seemed to have made a big difference over the stock speakers. I actually get some low end now and it seems highs are separated more. Speakers are easy to put it and Crurtchfield gives plug and play wiring harnesses and mounting adapters, which made it a lot easier. I didnt test them out a ton today, but I think it was worth every penny.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I put in some 3 1/2 and 6x9 Kicker speakers today, and they seemed to have made a big difference over the stock speakers. I actually get some low end now and it seems highs are separated more. Speakers are easy to put it and Crurtchfield gives plug and play wiring harnesses and mounting adapters, which made it a lot easier. I didnt test them out a ton today, but I think it was worth every penny.
Do you have the RF Upgrade or no?

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
1,132 Posts
Had 2 good road trips this week for work. Did about 180mi and 176mi, mostly highway. Used all of the EV battery and had some charging in spots that worked best with fuel efficiency and got 41mpg on the first day and 44mpg on the 2nd day. Used about 3/4 of my gas tank for the trips in total so not terrible. Gives you all an idea of the efficiency using the plug-in hybrid.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I put some Infinity 6x9's in the front also and a huge difference over stock. BUT they were seriously sucking an empty straw for power. I added a 45x4 watt amp and WOW. Huge difference.

·
Registered
2019 Limited - Suba
628 Posts
I put some Infinity 6x9's in the front also and a huge difference over stock. BUT they were seriously sucking an empty straw for power. I added a 45x4 watt amp and WOW. Huge difference.
I replaced all my speakers with Kicker some time back and it does sound a lot better. But I've been thinking lately about adding an amp. Just need someone with more knowledge than I to advise what would work best with my speakers and the stock Limited (non-nav) head unit.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Finally going for intake valve cleaning again with CRC, and test the E3 brake pad after running in more than 600km. The brake is significant improvement, now feels like the brake is oversized for the car but still easily modulated. This round I also clean the MAF and MAP sensor, finished 1 can of CRC IVD, left it for 2 hours and went highway to clear carbon. The car just getting more powerful, very easy to reach 120 kmh with just bare touch of accelerator and very easy to stop as well. The 2 litre engine give enough power, and there is no fault code triggered. I think Crosstrek is very comfortable and also handle very well on twisty roads, I find the ride is better than BMW X1.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Just get this if you can find reasonable price

It gives you power and flexibility to adjust gain, timing, EQ comprehensively.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium 2.0 CVT
402 Posts
Sadly, scraped some rocks after a country ride with the wife, and have a transmission pan leak and also a trashed exhaust pipe and front cat converter. Dealer quoted $3,700 repairs. I’m thinking I can do it for $800. Really shouldn’t have happened - I just didn’t pay attention to where I pulled off the road!
Correction: This didn’t even happen while on the stream bed, it happened on the way home when pulling off the side of the road for a picture, heard a bang and scraping. Made a thread about this for anyone interested in following the repair costs. Very sad day :(
Cloud Sky Plant Plant community Natural landscape

Cloud Sky Water Car Vehicle

·
Registered
402 Posts
My dude - skid plates cost a lot less than a CVT!

I have the Primitive Racing skids, but I like the look of the Rallitek CVT skid more.
Very true!

thankfully there is surprisingly low damage visible. I drove the vehicle an hour home, stopping every fifteen minutes to monitor fluid loss. My guess is I lost about one quart, so I should not have caused any damage to the CVT. The leak itself is only a small 1/16” bent portion of the transmission oil pan that broke the gasket seal and allowed some leakage. Very fortunate it was not worse.

9 vehicles and this is the newest one I’ve ever owned, Also the first I’ve ever damaged while off road, and I’ve done far more extreme stuff! Not blaming the vehicle today, sort of blaming myself for not planning the path prior to attempting (I know better!) but I am gonna chalk it up to a fluke of judgement and conditions. Still dang irritates me. Gonna be expensive either way.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Very true!

thankfully there is surprisingly low damage visible. I drove the vehicle an hour home, stopping every fifteen minutes to monitor fluid loss. My guess is I lost about one quart, so I should not have caused any damage to the CVT. The leak itself is only a small 1/16” bent portion of the transmission oil pan that broke the gasket seal and allowed some leakage. Very fortunate it was not worse.

9 vehicles and this is the newest one I’ve ever owned, Also the first I’ve ever damaged while off road, and I’ve done far more extreme stuff! Not blaming the vehicle today, sort of blaming myself for not planning the path prior to attempting (I know better!) but I am gonna chalk it up to a fluke of judgement and conditions. Still dang irritates me. Gonna be expensive either way.
IMO, Crosstrek standard height is nothing to shout about, for off road the 1-2 inches lift is a great step to start. If you go developing countries, their MPV has the same height clearance of Crosstrek with shorter front overhang :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
402 Posts
IMO, Crosstrek standard height is nothing to shout about, for off road the 1-2 inches lift is a great step to start. If you go developing countries, their MPV has the same height clearance of Crosstrek with shorter front overhang :ROFLMAO:
Other countries also have much poorer road maintenance and thier vehicles require more height to clear potholes and drainage ditches crossing the road etc. it is annoying that other countries have better off-road capable vehicles for way better prices. I would be in a Suzuki Jimny right now if they sold it here in America.

·
He wasn't there!
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
2,007 Posts
Actually fixed my pressure washer this morning. And gave the car a quick shower.

7561 - 7580 of 7622 Posts