Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
7,481 - 7,500 of 8,335 Posts
Installed orange powder coated hella horns from subie mods yesterday. Pretty detailed and difficult install because I’m type A and can’t live with some cheap Amazon wiring harness, so I made one myself to make it as OEM as possible. I would never do it again. But at least they look cool, and trucks pay attention to me now 😉. Also, power folding mirrors are installed and functional too. Will do a write-up on those later in the summer
Heck yeah to power folding mirrors. Every car needs to come with this.

Decided to drop in the new AEM DryFlow air filter. Doesn't quite make a ton of sense for a plug-in hybrid since I drive in EV a lot, but it makes sense when you don't need to but replaceable filters that go to the landfill. I already have the filter cleaner from my 2015 Legacy and it was a bummer that filter didn't fit the Crosstrek. Maybe that one fits anyone who has the 2.5L.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive design Bumper

Did a lot of interior cleaning today. Put new rubber license plate frames on. Got a new rear wiper blade. Guy from NAPA offered to install it, so I let him, and he complimented the car a lot.

I think that you'll be happy with your choice. I put 1400 miles on mine in the 2 weeks that I've owned them. They replaced the Yokohama touring tire. Except for losing a couple of mpg, I find that they do a better job absorbing road irregularities and are excellent in heavy rain. Plus, they look butch, right?

Doug

I think that you'll be happy with your choice. I put 1400 miles on mine in the 2 weeks that I've owned them. They replaced the Yokohama touring tire. Except for losing a couple of mpg, I find that they do a better job absorbing road irregularities and are excellent in heavy rain. Plus, they look butch, right?

Doug
I've got the Falken Ziex tires on my Hybrid and I'll take the mpg hit to get some nicer tires for the conditions!

What are the dimensions of those? The sidewall looks like it could be skinnier, but damn do those look sweeet!!! My tires are all around 7/32" so I still have a ways to go until I buy mine!
I stuck with the OEM size for the Limited: 225/55/R18. All the "largest tire size" threads on here just make my head hurt. :sneaky:

Doug
Hey, having a Butch tire is important! 😁

The OEM tires on the Limited really suck on pretty much anything except dry pavement, but I still wanted to get one more summer out of them. (I had 27K on them.) But I was bombing around on a backroad in the Utah desert a while back, and the car picked up a rusted old railroad spike -- it punctured a tire and then flipped around and embedded itself in the wheel well! I figured that the universe was giving me a sign.

Tire Automotive tire Tread Wheel Wood

Really happy with the Wildpeaks so far ... looking forward to playing with them on some off-road days, and in some crappy weather.

What are the dimensions of those? The sidewall looks like it could be skinnier, but damn do those look sweeet!!! My tires are all around 7/32" so I still have a ways to go until I buy mine!
They are good looking tires.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

I stuck with the OEM size for the Limited: 225/55/R18. All the "largest tire size" threads on here just make my head hurt. :sneaky:

The OEM tires on the Limited really suck on pretty much anything except dry pavement, but I still wanted to get one more summer out of them. (I had 27K on them.) But I was bombing around on a backroad in the Utah desert a while back, and the car picked up a rusted old railroad spike -- it punctured a tire and then flipped around and embedded itself in the wheel well! I figured that the universe was giving me a sign.

View attachment 311384

Really happy with the Wildpeaks so far ... looking forward to playing with them on some off-road days, and in some crappy weather.
I managed to cut a tire on a piece of road debris a couple of days ago. Although the plugs (it took 2) stopped the leak, I knew I wasn't going to feel comfortable relying on the repair's integrity. So, off with the Yokohama Geolandar Touring and on with the Falken Wildpeaks. I know that's a popular tire on this forum and my further research supported that opinion. Wet traction has always been at the top of my list for selecting tires and these had top marks. It doesn't hurt that they look good too.

Doug
Not quite as dramatic as your tire failure, but that's how I ended up with my Wildpeaks, too. My post a few days back.

Doug

View attachment 311384

Gotcha. For some reason it just looked like a much thinner sidewall profile and was messing with my eyes, like a 30 profile on a 20" rim!

With the price of fuel going bonkers, I decided to remove my roof basket and crossbars. Not easy to find a spot to store them, but I have them when I need them.
Downside to removing the basket was I also lost the lights I had mounted on the rear of the basket. So I finally pulled the trigger on an idea I've had for quite some time.

Automotive tail & brake light Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Those are the Diode Dynamics flush-mount SS2's Sport level, white floodlight with red backlit. I have a 2 position switch for the white light on the drivers side lower dash, and a 3 position switch in the cargo area to control the white light and red backlit. My use is for camping set-up and tear down (and not pesky tailgaters, I promise ;) ). The red light I figure I can use while camping and don't want to blind myself in the middle of the night. These actually work out better than the old lights because these can't get blocked when the tailgate is up like the others did.
I'm pretty happy with the result. That bumper section is a little angled, so the light is pointing slightly outwards and up, which is perfect with the flood pattern. There's plenty of room behind that spot for the light to protrude, so install was pretty easy. That is if you are comfortable using a dremel.
A bonus is they look great next to the JDM reflector/foglights.

• Haha
Reactions: Montanan
Ha! I may be in the minority, but I really like the OEM rims on the ‘21 Limited.
But you could have gone 17" and had more sidewall.

Reactions: SubaruBill
Everybody was talking about cleaning the intake so I decided to do it on Sunday. Have about 28K on the Trek. After the treatment I went to drive around as instructed and got the 'Check Engine' light. It came on again this morning, so after work I got on the highway and got it up to about 80 for a bit. That cleared it.
I can't say that I feel any real difference in idle or acceleration, but I saw some before/after videos of cleaning with the Berryman kit and I'm confident it did some good.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Hood

The other weekend we visited a stone yard to look at flagstone. Drove around a bit and got dusty as hell. Need to clean the engine bay now.

7,481 - 7,500 of 8,335 Posts