Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
7141 - 7160 of 7169 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sport
84 Posts
Replaced cabin air filter. Found, what I believe is a crisped Praying Mantis. Mileage is at 11460 and it was time to replace the filter.
Rectangle Grille Gas Font Electric blue
Product Azure Rectangle Font Grille

Rectangle Font Material property Electric blue Gas

Automotive exterior Vehicle Gas Bumper Auto part

·
Registered
2019 Limited - Suba
428 Posts
Replaced cabin air filter. Found, what I believe is a crisped Praying Mantis. Mileage is at 11460 and it was time to replace the filter.
Cabin filter replacement on the CrossTrek is a breeze (pardon the pun). On the Nissan Murano I had before the 'Trek, the filter was at the front of the center console up under the dash. I had to lie down on the passenger seat with my back on the floorboard to get to it. The opening to insert the filter was smaller than the filter itself, so getting the old one out was a matter of brute force, and I had to squeeze the new one to get it in. And if it didn't go in just right, when it popped back to full size it might not completely open back up. I always came away with a sore back and shoulders. As I recall it cost a ridiculous amount to have the dealer replace this filter.

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
731 Posts
Cabin filter replacement on the CrossTrek is a breeze (pardon the pun). On the Nissan Murano I had before the 'Trek, the filter was at the front of the center console up under the dash. I had to lie down on the passenger seat with my back on the floorboard to get to it. The opening to insert the filter was smaller than the filter itself, so getting the old one out was a matter of brute force, and I had to squeeze the new one to get it in. And if it didn't go in just right, when it popped back to full size it might not completely open back up. I always came away with a sore back and shoulders. As I recall it cost a ridiculous amount to have the dealer replace this filter.
It's amazing what they charge for a $15 part and a 5min job. They should charge nothing for the labor.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
849 Posts
It's amazing what they charge for a $15 part and a 5min job. They should charge nothing for the labor.
Yeah, it’s laughable what some independents ask for that too. I had my other vehicle in for service and they mentioned that they could replace the cabin filter for $100. I chuckled and demurred; 10 minutes and a $15. part, no thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A thread that appears on a number of Subaru forums I frequent, so might as well start one here.

Tell us what you did to your Subaru today, could be simple, could be some modifications, could be .....

Washed and waxed mine.
At Dealership getting the DCM Unit replaced today. The employees are so nice here too. 2021 Crosstrek Sport.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Automotive design Sports equipment Motor vehicle Audio equipment Gadget

Test fitted my 3D printed wireless charger pad today. It's working!!! Been in development for nearly a year at this point through a school project and very happy to see it finally come to fruition. I now have wireless CarPlay and fully integrated wireless charging. Below are some additional pictures of the prototypes and the finished product. I plan on releasing a separate write up when I completely finish this project on how it all works. It involves a retrofitted Xmode switch and a momentary to latching converter;).

Wood Rectangle Grey Wall Art

Circuit component Rectangle Font Electronic component Hardware programmer

This is the final prototype compared to the original Subaru part.

Rectangle Road surface Asphalt Wood Beige

Rectangle Road surface Asphalt Wood Flooring

The progression of all of my prototypes from the inspiration to the completed product.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Finally got a free day to wash the car. Had the wife's car right next to mine so did both cars at the same time. Worked out great with the pressure washer and foam cannon to knock them both out.

My car's in the garage now and I'm planning to polish and seal the windshield and put on multiple coats of Hydrosilex Recharge for the winter. I last applied the coating a year ago and was still beading pretty great. Oil change coming up this weekend for the 6mo interval (just under 3,000mi on the ODO).

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,711 Posts
Finally got a free day to wash the car. Had the wife's car right next to mine so did both cars at the same time. Worked out great with the pressure washer and foam cannon to knock them both out.

My car's in the garage now and I'm planning to polish and seal the windshield and put on multiple coats of Hydrosilex Recharge for the winter. I last applied the coating a year ago and was still beading pretty great. Oil change coming up this weekend for the 6mo interval (just under 3,000mi on the ODO).
Eyesight police here, LOL!

I figured it would be good to get something definitive from Subaru regarding windshield "coatings" as the Eyesight manual tells you not to apply any coatings. So, I just emailed them and we'll see what happens... 😸

Reactions: SubaruBill

·
Registered
731 Posts

I figured it would be good to get something definitive from Subaru regarding windshield "coatings" as the Eyesight manual tells you not to apply any coatings. So, I just emailed them and we'll see what happens... 😸
Nah, this is just to return the windshield to its natural smoothness after polishing it. I've put ceramic coating on the windshield before and no issues there.

·
Registered
731 Posts

I think the eyesight is going to have trouble seeing out this smooth glass! Funny how I just noticed that 3rd washer nozzle today as well.
Car Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

·
Prefers black cats
13,711 Posts
Wow, that's one clean car!

Reactions: dpc166

·
Registered
731 Posts
Wow, that's one clean car!
Yeah, wasn't terribly dirty since the last wash in March since I garage keep it, but it was time for a good deep clean and a good protection with the ceramic coating. I also picked up an air blower to blow all the water out of the tiny cracks (behind logos, mirrors, front grill, etc. It's a wonderful tool!
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Prefers black cats
13,711 Posts
Wanna wash mine? I think its been just over 2 years since its gotten anymore more than rain and creek crossings lolol o_O
LOL, same here. When was the last time it rained?

·
Prefers black cats
13,711 Posts
My car sits in the garage most of the time. Enough so that the wiper blades are still original and wipe like brand new.
'18 here and original blades...

Reactions: dpc166
7141 - 7160 of 7169 Posts