Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
7041 - 7060 of 7099 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
111 Posts

Excuse the dirty car but I installed these mirror caps today. Still on the fence if I like them more than the paint matched red.

astro, these are legal in my state buddy

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,424 Posts

Excuse the dirty car but I installed these mirror caps today. Still on the fence if I like them more than the paint matched red.

astro, these are legal in my state buddy
I'm gonna vote no. It's the kind of thing that I associate with legit super cars and crappy civics that wish they were super cars.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
111 Posts
I'm gonna vote no. It's the kind of thing that I associate with legit super cars and crappy civics that wish they were super cars.
Came to the conclusion I just don’t think it fits the look I’m going for. I tried hard to like them but I just don’t like them. I think it’s the carbon look that is throwing me off. I’m just going to remove the caps and wrap the mirrors gloss black to match the headlights and fog light bezel.

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
644 Posts
Came to the conclusion I just don’t think it fits the look I’m going for. I tried hard to like them but I just don’t like them. I think it’s the carbon look that is throwing me off. I’m just going to remove the caps and wrap the mirrors gloss black to match the headlights and fog light bezel.
If the fender flares and all were carbon, I think then the mirror caps would fit better. It's kinda like the new WRX. If those fender flares were all carbon, I bet the car would look a ton better. I could go for that over body colored fender flares on the WRX.

·
He wasn't there!
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,752 Posts
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

Wildpeaks on Enkei EKM3 rims.

This is what the government bought me with my stimulus check, which was 9 months late arriving.

·
Registered
2021 Sport
77 Posts
Boring Update: Changed oil and filter on the Sport yesterday. Used Shell Rotella Gas truck 0W-20 and a Purolator Boss PBL14615 filter. Mileage is @5400.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've been changing up the off road lighting this past month and I think I'm finally happy with the results. Hopefully I am done with electrical mods for a while.
Installed some Diode Dynamics SS3's (Pro level, Driving beam pattern) on my SMK a-pillar ditch light brackets. They, and the 6" KC LED's that are on the SSD rally light bar, are wired up to an OEM factory foglight switch, and relay system to come on with my high beams if desired. The 6" give me that long range visibility, and the SS3's light up the sides of the road where those deer like to ambush me from.

Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting Light

The 4" KC's I had relocated to the rear of my Thule roof basket a couple of weeks ago... I finally got around to finishing up the wiring for them as well.

Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Car Automotive tire

First I installed a 6 circuit aux fuse panel in the cargo area to clean things up. My 12v power panel and rear JDM foglights had single fuses located behind the panel, so, this fuse panel makes it easier to replace the fuses if needed, and afforded me the expansion needed for the rack lights. Plus I still have 2 empty circuits in case I add something else down the road.
I also installed a rocker switch to control the lights from the cargo area for when I'm camping/sleeping inside.

Vehicle Automotive design Steering part Car Motor vehicle

While the purpose of the lights on the rack are for lighting up a campsite, I installed a matching rocker switch on the lower dash so I can operate them while driving if needed.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Wheel

The fuse panel isn't the prettiest thing, but it is tucked out of the way and it has the cover for some degree of protection. It is function over form in this situation after all.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Anyone have a good siphon they would recommend for pulling oil out of the dipstick hole for sending off to the lab for analysis? Thinking of pulling a sample to send to Blackstone to see how much longer I could go between changes. Since I have the hybrid, the engine doesn't run often so the oil should be fresh. Mainly want to keep an eye on the pH and other key indicators because I generally change the oil every 6 months since I don't drive 6,000mi between changes.

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Limited
355 Posts
Wash, clay bar and spray-on hybrid ceramic wax. The paint does feel very smooth so I guess the clay bar works. That'll (the wax) have to last through the winter, maybe the wash, too! Found a small scratch on the driver's side A-pillar, rather an odd place, maybe some a-hole with a jacked-up 4x4 caught it with their door? Eh.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
644 Posts
Wash, clay bar and spray-on hybrid ceramic wax. The paint does feel very smooth so I guess the clay bar works. That'll (the wax) have to last through the winter, maybe the wash, too! Found a small scratch on the driver's side A-pillar, rather an odd place, maybe some a-hole with a jacked-up 4x4 caught it with their door? Eh. View attachment 307766
I was thinking of getting a wash/clay mitt from Malco to help reduce one step of clay barring the entire car after drying it from the wash. I follow FAB automotive detailing on youtube and he's got that mitt and it seems like a good process. It's called Malco Kozack Clay Wash Mitt and is running for under $27 on Amazon. I would traditionally use paint clay and speed shine from Griot's garage, but if I can do it while the car is lubricated with the foam cannon, then it would go much faster!

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Limited
355 Posts
For all I know, I'm doing it wrong, but it takes me about 10-15 minutes to clay the car, using a combination of just water (left over from the wash) and the detailing solution that came with the clay bars (I'm pretty sure from Meguiar's). And I manage to do it with just 1/4 of a clay bar for the whole thing. It does seem to work: the paint, when dry, feels very smooth to the touch.

·
Registered
644 Posts
For all I know, I'm doing it wrong, but it takes me about 10-15 minutes to clay the car, using a combination of just water (left over from the wash) and the detailing solution that came with the clay bars (I'm pretty sure from Meguiar's). And I manage to do it with just 1/4 of a clay bar for the whole thing. It does seem to work: the paint, when dry, feels very smooth to the touch.
You're probably not doing it wrong. I just take longer and it's probably an hour for me to do the car. I intentionally go slow to make sure i'm keeping the paint lubricated and taking my time to clean everything off afterwards before I degrease and then apply my ceramic.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,476 Posts
Performed a DIY engine oil change using 4.7 qt. Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 SP full synthetic motor oil and a Subaru filter and crush washer. Removed the engine air filter and vacuumed what little dirt/debris there was from the pleats. Topped off the battery cells with distilled water. Waxed the hood.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Took our MY18 Xtreks in for the pre-winter oil change. I'm at 50k km and she's at 30k. (I should charge her gas-money...she's always getting a free ride in my vehicle.) 0w-20 Mobil One and M1 filters. Easy-peezy for the kid at Frank's Garage as both vehicles have a Fumoto valve. Also snows installed. On rims. Off go the Wildpeaks and on with the Hankook snows. Wildpeaks would probably have done well in the snow but I wanted to save them. 3 winters on the Hankooks already and still lots left. OE tires on wife's Xtrek only about half gone. I use to enjoy doing all this myself but at some point one has to say when 25 was half a century ago maybe just watch. The joints will appreciate it.

7041 - 7060 of 7099 Posts