Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

6781 - 6800 of 6810 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru XV
67 Posts
How did those threads get damaged?
Unclear, they seemed fine when I initially installed the subframe spacers a year ago. A while ago when I was inspecting the area I noticed the spacer was a bit loose and sure enough the bolt was spinning. I think there is a captive nut type situation on the other side, and maybe it just broke through the spot welds to the body? Had to drill through the head of the bolt and and push it up through. Because I don't know anything about welding, I'm hoping this rivnut does the job.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,128 Posts
Did OAK remember her lunchbox this time? 🐨
Yes but forgot her phone. We're going to work on a plan for both of them to be combined (plus sunglasses, headset, etc. which are often the subjects of a tizzy around the same time)... 😸

Reactions: SubieSubieDo

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
507 Posts
We live in a different universe... 😸

I drove the other car for the first time since installing the Odyssey, because OAK forgot her phone this time, going to work. The muscle memory isn't there yet.

It was 12.7V at the terminals when I installed it and 12.68V today. I'm happy with that! We can obsess about our own things, right?
I have to keep track of my battery if I'm not using the gas engine for a few weeks. The battery only gets its charge from the engine so I have to use a trickle charger if I'm not driving out of EV mode for a while.

·
Prefers black cats
12,128 Posts
I have to keep track of my battery if I'm not using the gas engine for a few weeks. The battery only gets its charge from the engine so I have to use a trickle charger if I'm not driving out of EV mode for a while.
Not sure about the PHEV but when I checked the parasitic drain on our Limited, it was negligible, The car should be able to sit for months without a charge. I had problems with the OEM battery, though, hence the switch to the Odyssey, and no problems since then.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Not sure about the PHEV but when I checked the parasitic drain on our Limited, it was negligible, The car should be able to sit for months without a charge. I had problems with the OEM battery, though, hence the switch to the Odyssey, and no problems since then.
I think there is definite drain on the battery while driving in EV because the 12V battery powers most of everything in the car. After 4 weeks or so, the battery dropped to around 12.3V from 12.7V. I had driven it a bunch in EV and the engine barely came on.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I got my bluetooth OBDII sensor hooked up today. Used it a few times in my 2015 Legacy and I got curious about fuel remaining in the car and this little guy will do that after you enter the size of your tank. I dunno, it's kinda fun to have this sort of data, but not sure how much I'll use it. Could be cool since this is a plug-in hybrid to see some data points of something I have yet to determine.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The other day a strong wind blew a piece of wood onto my Crosstrek. Just a piece of particle board standing against the garage wall hit the right front fender just below the A pillar causing a small dent and bending up the top fender edge. No big deal. Happened some time back and wasn't enough to make me think of a repair. It was just life...no biggie. Very small dent in the A pillar also. I've had 5 chips in my windshield, 3 filled, and thought maybe I should see if the local glass&body shop can replace the windshield. Eyesight would need re-calibrating. I asked the shop, only one in town...small town, and they said no they couldn't do it but then he offered to quote on the dent repair. Quote came to $1400...wow! I said a bit much for a small dent. He said I could claim it on my insurance and it would only cost my deductible...$100. I thought about it and spoke to the insurance company. They didn't seem too stressed about it so I went back to the shop and said go ahead. They had the car 4 days and I had a crap GM loaner. Picked it up today. The total bill is now $2700...almost double the quote. They even replaced the clear-bra film on the hood that wasn't any part of the damage. I can't say anything to the insurance company but I know my premium is going to take a substantial bump down the road. I know these guys are crooks but that's pretty blatant. Life in a small town.

·
Prefers black cats
12,128 Posts
The other day a strong wind blew a piece of wood onto my Crosstrek. Just a piece of particle board standing against the garage wall hit the right front fender just below the A pillar causing a small dent and bending up the top fender edge. No big deal. Happened some time back and wasn't enough to make me think of a repair. It was just life...no biggie. Very small dent in the A pillar also. I've had 5 chips in my windshield, 3 filled, and thought maybe I should see if the local glass&body shop can replace the windshield. Eyesight would need re-calibrating. I asked the shop, only one in town...small town, and they said no they couldn't do it but then he offered to quote on the dent repair. Quote came to $1400...wow! I said a bit much for a small dent. He said I could claim it on my insurance and it would only cost my deductible...$100. I thought about it and spoke to the insurance company. They didn't seem too stressed about it so I went back to the shop and said go ahead. They had the car 4 days and I had a crap GM loaner. Picked it up today. The total bill is now $2700...almost double the quote. They even replaced the clear-bra film on the hood that wasn't any part of the damage. I can't say anything to the insurance company but I know my premium is going to take a substantial bump down the road. I know these guys are crooks but that's pretty blatant. Life in a small town.
Ugh, so sorry. If it's any consolation, it's not any better in a really big "town" like Los Angeles County. The range in quotes I've received for minor body shop repairs over the years would be laughable if it weren't such a serious issue. We all end up paying for the scammers who make a business out of defrauding insurance companies.

Reactions: SubieSubieDo

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Wow! Isn't there some consumer / fraud law that should protect you and the insurance company from bandits like that?
Curious why can't you speak to the insurance company about it. Couldn't/wouldn't they deal with these bandits instead of bumping your premium some time down the line?

·
Prefers black cats
12,128 Posts
Wow! Isn't there some consumer / fraud law that should protect you and the insurance company from bandits like that?
Curious why can't you speak to the insurance company about it. Couldn't/wouldn't they deal with these bandits instead of bumping your premium some time down the line?
One would think...

It depends on the country and state/province here in North America. California has some pretty strict consumer laws but there's only so much that they can do. I hope they don't make me get a license for my Swiss Army knife. Canada is more like the UK, where I'm from.

·
Registered
522 Posts
It's a bit tricky ratting out a local business in a small town where everyone sees everyone at the local stores, restaurants, etc. The other thing to keep in mind is that insurance companies don't care. It's not their money they pay out. It's the policy holder's premiums that pay the claims. The insurance company is just a middle man that takes the money in from premiums and pays the money out in claims while keeping some for themselves. They never spend their own money paying out on claims. The only time an insurance company could possible lose is if the claim was so huge it would consume their reserves. But that's why the industry now has re-insurers to insure the insurance companies. The industry as a whole never loses. That's why Warren Buffett owns Geico.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
It's a bit tricky ratting out a local business in a small town where everyone sees everyone at the local stores, restaurants, etc.
Yeah I get the small town thing. The local auto electrician ripped Offspring off. I offered to go in to have a 'quiet word' at least to push back and get a partial refund. Offspring wasn't keen. I can be pretty embarrassing and you know ... small town.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I was using my OBDII sensor for 2 days along with an app called Dash Command to report all kinds of metrics (mostly so I can see my fuel efficiency). I had no issues on Tuesday, but yesterday I went to use it to drive home and I got a starlink notification that my Starlink service may be inoperable.

From the email, "Please note that third party devices (such as some driver monitoring or third-party OBD-II port devices), may interfere with the proper function of certain vehicle features, including the Subaru STARLINK® system. Customers may, at their own discretion, use those devices, but if they create interference with the vehicle or the STARLINK® system’s operation, the system may not operate properly and could prompt this communication."

Anyone have this issue before? I used it on my trip over to a friend's house and it worked fine. I went to connect to the sensor to drive home and it wasn't working. I'm assuming this is the reason why.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Subaru Canada website has finally got around to listing the ignition coil and suspension bolt recalls. I called to ask about a letter and was told "one was in the mail...soon". Transport Canada issued the recalls April 15 and SC has 60 days to notify owners...so I guess any day now.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I got the suspension recall for my 2019 hybrid in the mail last week. I checked the bolts myself last weekend and they were all tight. Sucks that it has to go into a dealer. I'd prefer just to take it to my mechanic when I go in August for my yearly inspection stickers.

·
Prefers black cats
12,128 Posts
I got the suspension recall for my 2019 hybrid in the mail last week. I checked the bolts myself last weekend and they were all tight. Sucks that it has to go into a dealer. I'd prefer just to take it to my mechanic when I go in August for my yearly inspection stickers.
Yeah, this! I was looking forward to giving our local guy some business...

He will install the Curt hitch when it arrives.

6781 - 6800 of 6810 Posts