Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

6561 - 6580 of 6662 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Sport, Sunshine Orange
165 Posts
Guess they don’t want me to stealthy pull out of my driveway before shinning headlights right into the neighbors living room. Or turning my lights off so I an not blinding the person in front of me at night when we are stuck at a lengthy rain crossing. Or enjoy pulling to a stop and turning the lights off at night on a fire service road.
I am not a fan of laws that force normal people to adhere to the failings of stupid people....
There still is the “side marker” setting for those situations.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yesterday when I installed the cargo area power panel I finally finished my JDM style rear fog light install.
A while back I got some JDM style rear fog lights from AliExpress. Using a dremel I cut a socket hole in the passenger side housing to match the drivers side (that came with a pre-cut hole). I used the H16 halogen lamps that I had left over from the old front fog lights.
The rear fog lights are controlled via an OEM H4510FL500 fog light switch (I had already installed one for my a-pillar off-road lights). I made a post about how I fabricated a connector for the OEM switch.
Well yesterday I completed the project by running a power feed cable and the switched ground all the way back to the cargo area where I mounted the new relay.
Last night I went out and got some night time pics of them in action. They are very bright. I'd say they were noticeably brighter than the brake lights. No doubt the car would be quite visible in heavy fog now.
I'm super happy with the outcome and would highly recommend them. As a huge bonus, they look much better than the OEM granny reflectors during the day too.

·
Registered
510 Posts
In a previous thread Brian spoke about a phone holder he was designing. I volunteered to test the prototype and here it is. Brian 3D-printed this one to my phone width and depth to hold it firmly. This the first time I've seen 3D-printed items up close and I must say the result is excellent. The arm attaches by very strong Velcro on the wall of the dash cubby. Perfect spot for it. I'm on an Indiegogo site to acquire a Wireless Dongle that will allow my phone to connect to the vehicle head unit Android Auto with no cable so this holder will compliment that perfectly. Look Ma, no cables! If Brian does decide to make and offer these, I highly recommend it.
1 phone in holder.jpeg
2 holder.jpeg
3 holder2.jpeg

·
Registered
2021 Outdoor, Dark Blue Pearl
43 Posts
Had a local fellow 3d print me up three of the tether anchorage covers. They fit great, and look good too.

On the way back from picking them up, got first mud on the tires of any significance. Not much I realize, but must fight the urge to wash it, as more snow and rain on the way tomorrow. Besides, the dirt pattern on the bumper is mesmerizing.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 crosstrek
67 Posts
Had a local fellow 3d print me up three of the tether anchorage covers. They fit great, and look good too.
View attachment 305373

On the way back from picking them up, got first mud on the tires of any significance. Not much I realize, but must fight the urge to wash it, as more snow and rain on the way tomorrow. Besides, the dirt pattern on the bumper is mesmerizing.
View attachment 305375
What are those 3D prints for?

·
Registered
43 Posts
What are those 3D prints for?
They cover the carseat tether anchor points on the backs of the rear seats. Paw protectors for dogs, and mostly for me just a way to keep the dust out of there, as I'm not sure how much time the dog will actually spend back there. It is official... I am over the top with adding things to my car. My wife would fully agree ☺

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,822 Posts
Very cool! It looks like an Aspen grove in the winter...

Reactions: Russell Steapot

·
Registered
43 Posts
Very cool! It looks like an Aspen grove in the winter...
Very organic looking for sure. I was thinking blood vessels or neurons, but perhaps I've been watching a little too much Dexter lately ;) Aspens work too.

Those do look really good. Does this 3D printer happen to have an online store for these? Would love to pick some up.
Nah, I don't think so. Just a local young guy printing stuff outta his basement. Anyone with a 3d printer should be able to do identical ones from the file on Thingiverse Crosstrek Tie-down Plug is a Paw Protector by TyCreek.

·
Registered
2014 crosstrek
67 Posts
They cover the carseat tether anchor points on the backs of the rear seats. Paw protectors for dogs, and mostly for me just a way to keep the dust out of there, as I'm not sure how much time the dog will actually spend back there. It is official... I am over the top with adding things to my car. My wife would fully agree ☺
View attachment 305379
Looks great! Super idea. I’m always using my air compressor to blow sand out of there. Love it!, Maybe there should be a forum especially designed for wives with husbands like us.. lol

·
Registered
2018 Subaru XV Premium SE
47 Posts
Bought four new tyres (scorpion verdes...never tried them before but I got a decent discount on them so they got off to an excellent start) and new windscreen wipers all round.....plus I treated her to a tank of 99 octane Super unleaded,so im.happy she's happy today.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Disabled text notifications. lol. What a mess.

"you have 99 unread messages"

No, I have 1, and you won't make it easy to mark the rest of them as viewed.

I did hear someone mention that it would mark texts as read if you viewed them on your phone while using android auto or the ios version of that, is this true? Either way, I dislike android auto very much. The only thing I do like is that it gives me "navigation" on the CT's dash, but for the trade off of trying to make my phone "simpler" and changing literally everything on both the dash and the phone... no thanks. It also messed with music apps and the only way to display music I found was either switching back to the "media" tab or using something like Pandora, which it still makes look terrible on the dash. Overall, not a fan. I hope I don't see a notification reminding me I have 99 unread messages the next time my phone says "we detected a spam message so we deleted it".

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,822 Posts
Disabled text notifications. lol. What a mess.

"you have 99 unread messages"

No, I have 1, and you won't make it easy to mark the rest of them as viewed.

I did hear someone mention that it would mark texts as read if you viewed them on your phone while using android auto or the ios version of that, is this true? Either way, I dislike android auto very much. The only thing I do like is that it gives me "navigation" on the CT's dash, but for the trade off of trying to make my phone "simpler" and changing literally everything on both the dash and the phone... no thanks. It also messed with music apps and the only way to display music I found was either switching back to the "media" tab or using something like Pandora, which it still makes look terrible on the dash. Overall, not a fan. I hope I don't see a notification reminding me I have 99 unread messages the next time my phone says "we detected a spam message so we deleted it".
Sorry there are so many things about your new car that you don't like. Texting with AA works fine for me (Google Pixel 5).

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sorry there are so many things about your new car that you don't like. Texting with AA works fine for me (Google Pixel 5).
"..with AA."

I enjoy my Subaru. No vehicle is perfect. Was a mechanic - can confirm lol.

I had a previous vehicle with AA, and that's when I found out I didn't like the changes it made to everything on my phone. I can still use voice commands and such without AA. I don't text when driving. It can wait. My phone is mounted right next to the dash, if I want to do something, I can reach it when needed. Always have before. I have a Pixel 4a (5g - like the XL). I am jealous of your 90hz display and extra 200 mAh on the battery life tho ;)

But I have never had a vehicle pop up with a notification that won't go away on it's own or that you have to manually go through every text to mark it as read. I shouldn't have to use AA for that. The CT remembers texts I deleted weeks ago on my phone. It's odd. Problem solved though! Anything I dislike is definitely a small thing compared to what I do like. I truly do love this car and if I stay with Subaru, I will be "upgrading" to the nicer version of the next one. I wish I could also own a WRX STI and beef it up so I can just use my other Subie for daily stuff. I have no problem being labeled a "fanboi" lol. I wear it with honor.

But since you use AA, does it mark your messages as read? Or every time a msg comes in does it say how many you have not read on the subaru. I guess what I mean is my phone says one thing and my subaru says another.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,822 Posts
"..with AA."

I enjoy my Subaru. No vehicle is perfect. Was a mechanic - can confirm lol.

I had a previous vehicle with AA, and that's when I found out I didn't like the changes it made to everything on my phone. I can still use voice commands and such without AA. I don't text when driving. It can wait. My phone is mounted right next to the dash, if I want to do something, I can reach it when needed. Always have before. I have a Pixel 4a (5g - like the XL). I am jealous of your 90hz display and extra 200 mAh on the battery life tho ;)

But I have never had a vehicle pop up with a notification that won't go away on it's own or that you have to manually go through every text to mark it as read. I shouldn't have to use AA for that. The CT remembers texts I deleted weeks ago on my phone. It's odd. Problem solved though! Anything I dislike is definitely a small thing compared to what I do like. I truly do love this car and if I stay with Subaru, I will be "upgrading" to the nicer version of the next one. I wish I could also own a WRX STI and beef it up so I can just use my other Subie for daily stuff. I have no problem being labeled a "fanboi" lol. I wear it with honor.

But since you use AA, does it mark your messages as read? Or every time a msg comes in does it say how many you have not read on the subaru. I guess what I mean is my phone says one thing and my subaru says another.
Yeah, if you're using the HU without AA for texting, who knows what may happen. I like AA and it seems to work better on Pixels than other brands as the Pixel is supposed to be the purest expression of Android. Some Samsung users had problems with AA after an OS update. Sadly, the Harman HU with Starlink is probably the worst part of the entire car, why I use AA whenever I can. Good luck!

·
Registered
2018 Subaru XV Premium SE
47 Posts
I use a oppo Reno 2 with android auto and everything works as it should,texting,replying music (you tube music and pocketcasts for me).
I've never used Subaru's inbuilt system when AA is so much more efficient and user friendly.
Same goes for every other car I've driven that has android auto equipped.

6561 - 6580 of 6662 Posts