Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

6541 - 6560 of 6662 Posts

·
Needs a Butch car
2020 Crosstrek Premium
995 Posts
And it's the same reason they say to turn on your headlights in a construction zone. Workers can see your lights way before your car.
I was serious, and that's not a thing here. I work in construction so I'd know. Unless it's night, it would typically be hard to tell if someone even has their lights on. I guess I could see the benefits if it was a low visibility situation, but those are so rare.

·
Registered
2021 Sport 2.5 cvt
90 Posts
Canada has introduced a new law; starting September 2021, no new car imported is allowed to have a way of driving at night without the headlights on. The way the law is written, it basically eliminates the OFF setting for headlights. In the case of the Crosstrek, basically it would be AUTO > Side Markers > ON.
Guess they don’t want me to stealthy pull out of my driveway before shinning headlights right into the neighbors living room. Or turning my lights off so I an not blinding the person in front of me at night when we are stuck at a lengthy rain crossing. Or enjoy pulling to a stop and turning the lights off at night on a fire service road.
I am not a fan of laws that force normal people to adhere to the failings of stupid people....

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,823 Posts
Guess they don’t want me to stealthy pull out of my driveway before shinning headlights right into the neighbors living room. Or turning my lights off so I an not blinding the person in front of me at night when we are stuck at a lengthy rain crossing. Or enjoy pulling to a stop and turning the lights off at night on a fire service road.
I am not a fan of laws that force normal people to adhere to the failings of stupid people....
Not necessarily stupid, perhaps unaware?

Look at my earlier post about our tunnel. The locals know to slow down, take off the sunglasses, etc. What would you have happen? We get inundated with tourists in the summer who have no clue.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I was serious, and that's not a thing here. I work in construction so I'd know. Unless it's night, it would typically be hard to tell if someone even has their lights on. I guess I could see the benefits if it was a low visibility situation, but those are so rare.
Yeah, a lot of it has to do with the area in which you live. By me, we get some dense early morning fog at times and when it rains during the day can be pretty heavy. Lights in general are a good idea and I just love the LEDs on my car that I run them on a lot.

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
1,308 Posts
Growing up military, you had to turn your headlight off passing onto base by the guard shack. In a typical car with DRLs back then, you just pulled the e-brake up one notch.

·
Registered
2017 XV Crosstrek 2.0i
54 Posts
Here in Montenegro, and also in almost all surrounding countries law requires to have headlights turned on during the day (or drl with intensity higher than certain brightness)

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Sport 2.5 cvt
90 Posts
Not necessarily stupid, perhaps unaware?

Look at my earlier post about our tunnel. The locals know to slow down, take off the sunglasses, etc. What would you have happen? We get inundated with tourists in the summer who have no clue.
Maybe they should install lights and solve the poorly designed tunnel situation that they created.

·
Registered
2018 Lifted 6-speed Crosstrek
1,897 Posts
I'm confused - why would you turn the lights on during the day just because it's raining? Would other drivers even be able to tell that they're on?
California passed a law in 2013 or so that if you have to use your windshield wipers (rain, fog, snow), then you must turn your headlights on.

·
He wasn't there!
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,553 Posts
I'm confused - why would you turn the lights on during the day just because it's raining? Would other drivers even be able to tell that they're on?

It's actually the law in a lot of places that "wipers on, lights on", because they figure if you need the wipers, then visibility is degraded enough so that you should have the lights on so that other drivers can see you. It's not just the front, where the DRLs help, it's also the rear lights, so that drivers behind can see you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Finally got around to doing some wiring today. Installed a small power panel in the cargo area. It has one 12v outlet and two USB ports controlled by a switch with a handy little digital volt meter. I fed it straight from the battery using a 10 gauge wire that also supplies power to a 12v relay for my rear fog lights. (I'll post some pics of the lights later. I need to take a night time pic)
I pretty much followed this great video on youtube. Only thing I did differently from Tom in the video was how I routed the wire. I pretty much followed the fuel door release cable. I also cut out only the 4 holes for the different components instead of the larger opening he did.
[The red wire in the pic is my switched ground going to the fog light relay.]

I can't understand why the model geared towards outdoor adventures didn't come with a 12v outlet in the cargo area. Hell, even my 2003 Forester had one.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
My father always used to keep the parking lights on when driving long distances - something to do with being good for the alternator???
In Australia sometime ago and in response to a high accident/fatality rate IIRC, laws were introduced that motor cyclists had to keep their driving lights on during the day, even on bright sunny days, so car drivers would better see/notice them. It does work, and is noticable even through the heat haze/shimmer on open roads. It's extended to new cars having Daytime Running Lights on all the time now which is great with all the greyscale cars on greyscale roads here. In fact the greyscale on greyscale can be so bad at times I often find myself wishing the daytime running lights included the tail lights. Because my car is dark and I know it can blend in a bit too much too, I sometimes pop my normal headlights on dull days so I can be seen from behind as well.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Sport
18 Posts
Finally got around to doing some wiring today. Installed a small power panel in the cargo area. It has one 12v outlet and two USB ports controlled by a switch with a handy little digital volt meter. I fed it straight from the battery using a 10 gauge wire that also supplies power to a 12v relay for my rear fog lights. (I'll post some pics of the lights later. I need to take a night time pic)
I pretty much followed this great video on youtube. Only thing I did differently from Tom in the video was how I routed the wire. I pretty much following the fuel door release cable. I also cut out only the 4 holes for the different components instead of the larger opening he did.
[The red wire in the pic is my switched ground going to the fog light relay.]

View attachment 305299 View attachment 305300

View attachment 305301 View attachment 305302

View attachment 305303

I can't understand why the model geared towards outdoor adventures didn't come with a 12v outlet in the cargo area. Hell, even my 2003 Forester had one.
You did a good clean job on that install 👍. I may do the same once I start taking mine out more.

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Premium 6MT
49 Posts
Curious if my 2019 does this. I'm pretty sure it doesn't because if it's rainy or foggy I manually flip the stalk.
It should if you have it on Auto. My 2018 is set to Auto and I do notice the instrument cluster does light up when I leave the wipers on, even on intermittent.

6541 - 6560 of 6662 Posts