Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

6141 - 6159 of 6159 Posts

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,534 Posts
My 3 year warranty is set to expire in a couple weeks, so I took in my Crosstrek to check on my brakes. Last March I did a trip down south and when I drove from the Eastern Sierras down to the bottom of Death Valley, my brakes started to shudder and fade at times. I was using ACC to slow it, but I guess it used more real braking than engine braking and they would overheat. I then used the paddle shifters to use more engine braking and it was OK after that. But ever since then if I brake hard from high speed or on a long downhill, I feel that shuddering.

Anyway, if my rotors got warped, I figured I better get it into the shop before my warranty expires. And sure enough, they found both rear rotors were warped slightly (didn't pass the run-out check) and replaced both of them. Checked the front ones, too, and they were still within spec, but they did a skim turn on them as well, just to get them completely back to new spec. They also reconditioned the pads (took off the glaze). There was very little wear on them (24K kms). So now I am all good with my brakes again.

I am letting you guys know, as some of you may have encountered some shuddering on long downhills. Be aware that if you overheat the brakes (some fading) the rotors will warp. You won't notice it just driving around town. But on a long steep down hill you will, if you don't use enough engine braking (paddles). And I learned my lesson not to depend on ACC to slow it on the long downhills. It does not use enough engine braking, and you could overheat and warp your rotors.

But if you get your brakes checked before your 3 year warranty expires they will replace them (if they are out of spec). My dealer was very good about that, and no hesitation to do it under warranty.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,752 Posts
@R P

Just did the same thing, LOL, as ours is up next week but we haven't put many miles on it (17K in three years) and the brakes were fine. It's great that they did that for you under warranty!

I learned that lesson in the old Honda, descending from the Sierras and needed new rotors, which made it an expensive trip. I only use engine braking and the paddles in the Crosstrek. I've tried ACC too but, as you say, it doesn't do enough engine braking. Got the range on the Exaggerometer up to 900 miles, though... 😸

Reactions: R P

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,534 Posts
Yeah, it was that last stretch down into Death Valley that did me in. The descent was not only steep but very twisty and slow which meant less wind drag and more braking. I have always used ACC to slow down before and just toggled the set speed down or up as necessary and let the computer do the rest. Works fine at higher speeds with more straight downhills. But when going slower, no wind drag to help slow you, and it is just the engine and brakes. I wish the ACC computer was a little smarter, though, to apply more engine braking at slower speeds after a longer a period of time.to save the brakes.

The overheating not only warped the rotors, but glazed the pads (as what can happen with a bad brake break-in on a new car). The dealer tech says he has seen it many times before on vehicles, but not on such a new Crosstrek (23K kms). Anyway, they did take care of me (this dealer always has with my past Subarus), so I'm happy. And I didn't even buy the car there, but they are the closest to where I live.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,752 Posts
Anyway, they did take care of me (this dealer always has with my past Subarus), so I'm happy. And I didn't even buy the car there, but they are the closest to where I live.
The Crosstreks we've bought were from different dealers in the L.A. area, not Santa Monica (both times we couldn't get what we wanted at the right price) but they both get serviced here and we've had a great experience so far. The service manager was instrumental in getting the issue with the immobilizer fixed and we got a free Gold extended warranty out of it, and we didn't even buy the car from them. I think they realize you're going to buy a new car from across town but, especially here, you're not going to drive across town for an oil change...

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium Manual, Silver
13 Posts
Finally got around to installing the Marathon seat covers in my 2020 MT. I just got the fronts since the backs will rarely see any use, if at all. I have these in my 07 Tacoma and they have lasted well over 12 years and through 7 cross country trips out west and back. 20201117_084253.jpg 20201117_084121.jpg

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,269 Posts
Those Wildpeaks look so good. If I ever switch back to stock size, I would be so tempted.

I had the thought of putting Wildpeaks on 16" rims. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
390 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
You can always stick a piece of wood between the seat and the brake pedal.
Found a stick, actually my son hitting the brake pedal at night. It's bright. Just hope local law enforcement don't give me grief. They stopped my son for yellow headlights, he had the yellow filters on his Kenson led low beams. Just removed the filters. I had the yellow on mine also but removed them after he got stopped but really liked the yellow. They seemed to really give more definition at night for me.
20201120_201444.jpg

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Magnetite Grey
25 Posts
Completely gutted the interior. Sound deadened and vibration damped everything. Complete speaker upgrade CDT audio unity 7.5 2" hybrid drivers in the dash. CDT audio HD-690CFS 6x9 in the front doors. CDT audio U500 active cross overs for the front door/dash speakers. CDT audio HD-6EX Pro 6-1/2" coaxials in the rear doors. Fosgate PBR400X4D 4 channel amp. Installed the xovers and amp under the front passenger seat. New 60 amp breaker, power and ground wire ran from the battery along the firewall and into the cabin through 2 factory grommets accessed behind the glove box. Took a while but the end product turned out pretty clean and sounds amazing.

·
Registered
2021 Sport
7 Posts
Subscribed to the discounted 3-year Starlink Safety and Security plan for the Sport. Checked out some features including remote start etc. and all is well.

6141 - 6159 of 6159 Posts